Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Weather proofing your rifle.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Bog roll is the universal wipe, be it your arse or your lenses. I prefer Cotton Soft for mine what about you @Gibo bugdet single ply? Sounds like you're tight enough to get by without wiping your orifice
    Go lens to arse not arse to lens.
    SlowElliot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    So free then as in "free education". When you buy a $600 pair of glasses they throw in a "free" 20c cloth.
    How has this turned into a cost thing? I was only after proof that t paper/tissue damages lenses, so far I have none. And if you guys are so adamant that micro fibre cloths don't damage lenses show me that proof, until then boot it

PS: I use a lens pen when home or range and whatever I can when hunting

Banned
    Toilet tissue paper does indeed damage lenses, whether it be photographic telescopic or rifles scopes. In the old days of soft glass, it would actually etch the glass itself, leaving ""çleaning marks"" being tiny scratches. With modern harder lens glass it will wear off the chemical coatings on the lens, that reduce glare and increase contrast. The best thing to do with your lenses is simply not to touch them. But hunting being what it is, use a very soft cloth, and dab material off, dont scrub it.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Yep, I'll bet more scopes have been cleaned in the bush with a swannie sleeve than with a lens cloth.
    The thing with most cloths is when wet they are useless, a small scrap of dry TP can be used to dab off water and tossed, get a new bit out of your dry location if you need to do it again. I would hazard a guess most of the people that are so anal about not using it don't even go out in the rain

Chamois. Works when wet.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Hey, are you having a dig at me because I made a comment about being to tired/lazy (smart really) to go out in the rain?
    I wipe my scope/s with shit house paper in the bush if they need it. If the lens gets so scratched up I don't like looking through, I'll buy a new one.
    Hey, not a dig at you at all

Toilet paper is for the weak. I use my finger
    Bryan and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Arseholes and noses are apparently much more resilient (or maybe no-one inspects them close enough to see the wear and tear).
    Might be softer material, but lenses don't grow back!

Gibo, in my earlier reply I stated that my old Leupold has fine scratches from years of being wiped with shit paper ( 35 Years) so to answer your question does TP damage lenses the short answer is yes but I must say it took a long time and the scope is still usable today. Like I said a proper cloth is better but TP is better than nothing.

Back in the day when we were 10foot tall,full of shit and bullet proof our scopes glass was sort of protected by a strip of stretched bike rubber.
    During wet conditions we had a ball of crap paper tucked away in a dry pocket,used it for years on wet glass.
    As for stuffing up any lens coatings I wouldn'nt know as the scopes were always clear,or seemed to be. I sold an old scope a ways back that I'd used for decades and always been treated with the crap paper,still very sharp and clear,maybe it was blessed lol.
    Gibo and Shearer like this.

I too am a paper fan as it absorbs water like nothing else and I have never noticed any deterioration in my scope lenses. The key is to dab it lightly until dry and then give it a single soft wipe. Don't do it as though you are trying to sand a dent out of an old gun stock.
    I also use an old piece of bike tyre tube on the ocular end of the scope. In dry conditions it is folded back over the eye piece and when wet I roll it out so there is about 25mm sticking out. Does a really good job of keeping water off the lens if you are a bit careful. Flip up Butler creek see through cap on the objective end.
    veitnamcam and doinit like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.