Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What do deer do when it's raining?

Question What do deer do when it's raining?

So, after a super-busy month meaning I couldn't get out hunting at all, things quiet down… just in time for a solid week of rain.

I haven't hunted deer that much, but I'd kinda assumed that, like goats, they'd just hole up and take shelter if the weather was unpleasant. But I've been noticing my couple of calves and the neighbours' alpaca don't seem that fazed by the rain, and have been out grazing away like nothing's different. (There's not much wind, which I assume helps.)

My question for you more experienced stalkers is, what do deer get up to in rubbish weather? Is it still worth getting out after them, and do you do anything different?

Cheers.

Not an experienced stalker, but I have some big doe eyes. I reckon deer would do what you'd do - stay warm and dry, chill out with the famdam, maybe have a sneaky shag. Walking around in the rain probably isn't high on the list
    WhistlingWings, Dundee and deer243 like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Not sure what they do when it's pissing down , don't really want to either . I do no when it immediately stops raining is a great time to bag one , that's the case in fiordland anyway. Me and a mate got cabin fever and went for a walk in horizontal rain sleet and snow to see a stag feeding flat out in a really exposed river flat one day . He was as happy as a pig in shit . We froze our arse off . Hinds wouldn't be that silly .
    Last edited by Munsey; 21-04-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I have more success when it's raining.Your own scent is dampened quite considerably and stalking onto clearings etc from wet quieter bush certainly helps.
    Not all deer like wet dripping canopy and will be quite happy out in the rain,besides they love a little dressing over their salad.
    Under extreme conditions they can/will be laid up under overhangs,windfall etc,another chance to jump them and in most cases very close indeed.

Ejected
    Variables.
    But the punga's can be a great place when it's raining real bad. This is also the time you learn how good a red dot scope is and what a waste of time a standard one is.......
    R93 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Variables.
    But the punga's can be a great place when it's raining real bad. This is also the time you learn how good a red dot scope is and what a waste of time a standard one is.......
    Whats a red dot scope?

Ejected
    A modern aperture sight. Fucking fast and rain doesn't matter. Best thing to use out of a machine to

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    A modern aperture sight. Fucking fast and rain doesn't matter. Best thing to use out of a machine to
    Have you used one on a shottie wire hunt ?
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Ejected
    Na, but a mates oldman did and that was real good to use. An A5 from memory.

[QUOTE=Wirehunt;107535]A modern aperture sight. Fucking fast and rain doesn't matter. Best thing to use out of a machine to [/QUOTE

They carry on living as usual, but tend to drop their guard a little bit. You will often find them way out in the open on drizzley rainy days.

At the end of the day, you ain't going to see deer sitting on your couch...unless your watching a hunting DVD.
    R93 and Sniper like this.

Father Christmas knows all about Rain Deer

Japs don't like rain apparently, I listened to the old wives tail and didn't hunt them in the rain. Reds on the other hand don't care

I see more deer in the rain - always on or near ferns or small clearings.

Still cant shoot the fuckers though

Chris
    Kumoe likes this.

I thought they just moped about home, saying "I'm bored!" Oh, no. That's the Dears.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!