Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Whats the best hunting gps?😀

Thanks for the help

Has anyone used a smart phone on airplane mode for around ten days as a gps?
    Stewart island!
    223nut you might know?

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Has anyone used a smart phone on airplane mode for around ten days as a gps?
    Stewart island!
    223nut you might know?
    Take a zip lock bag and a powerbank.
    Pointer and Sideshow like this.

I've used my iPhone on airplane mode for a 5 day hunt, it didn't even use half the battery. to be fair I was in and out of bush so didn't really need it, only in the thick dense stuff was it handy for staying on track and choosing the right ridge to go down. I do also have a power bank but didn't use it. I use an app called Galileo. its good, I think you need to pay to use the tracking but I have the NZ topo 50s on it which are great. You need to load them into the Cache to be able to use it in airplane mode.

I'd be interested to know what other apps are available for the iPhone as i'd be keen to use tracking or other functions. tracking would no doubt chew through power at a faster rate.
    My cousin and I looked at getting a rhino as the radio and the locating other party feature is cool. Cant justify it yet though.

There's always more toys to buy
    haha
    Sideshow likes this.

Thanks massive attack & i41do2 I'll have a good look at that! Will be hiring a plb off of doc just in case shit hits fan!

iPhone works as well as a Garmin even in steep country and thick canopy. Much lighter
    7mmsaum likes this.

Hardly use my Garmin 62s now. iPhone in a life proof case and its survived heaps of trips now. Better than a GPS I reckon, especially having Googleearth to use too. Plus you can download books and read them at night in ya tent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

That's JoshC, have you tried it out on Stewart? Down port adventure way?
    Sorry I know your a busy writer and I'm taking you away from that West Coast adventure that your writing up for us

Having spent around 3 million dollars on smart phones(plus or minus) in the last few years I would rely on a smart phone as a navigation device about as much as I would rely on a 3 month old human not to shit its nappy on a 12 hour drive.

They are FAR to fragile and unreliable IMO.

I have a 62s that does the job....Actually the etrex h before did the job fine too.
    Often I will take my two smartphones but only if its not going to be wet and there may be service(one on each provider) for txt updates of weather,comming out early,river up staying another day etc but never for nav.
    mikee, blake, Boaraxa and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Whats the best hunting gps?😀

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    That's JoshC, have you tried it out on Stewart? Down port adventure way?
    Sorry I know your a busy writer and I'm taking you away from that West Coast adventure that your writing up for us
    Yep I have. Works anywhere. Fiordland, Stewart island, Westland , doesn't matter. Download topomap app and google earth app.

On google earth, zoom right in on the areas you want to hunt while you're in coverage still and you phone will hold that data so when you're in airplane mode you can still zoom in close and see good detail.

Google earth will pinpoint you on the map almost instantly , on airplane mode/out of coverage.

All of my iPhone's have outlasted my contract terms and I use them in the bush almost daily.

On airplane mode I'll get a good week easy battery life. That's turning it on and off when needed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I use my phone, I find if I get very sweetie the touch screen doesn't behave. Asides from that it works good.
    I don't rely on it, I would not rely on any gps, But I do trust it and use it Alot.
    I consider gps a luxury and
    Map and compass navigation skills a necessity.
    I use the the app "new zealand maps pro".
    JoshC likes this.

The dedicated single function GPS unit has quite a limited role actually.

My two old samsung phone both have equally good GPS fix and track as my Garmin Oregon 550.
    Camera is also much better. And it has my ballistics app on it.
    Touch useability and screen colour are much better on the phones (due to different screen technology). The Garmin can be used in bright sunlight without backlight.

Screeen use is what drains the battery so both phone and GPS units last a long time if you don't use them !

Advantages of dedicated GPS Unit:
    Rugged. can be used in yor hand while walking. Using a GPS saves a lot of effort in walking and makes your hunting more efficient.
    Changeable chargeable batteries (but not the same as my headlamp or UHFCB)
    Good software for tracking, waypointing, archiving on laptop. I'm not sure if there is similar available for phones. I use New Zealand Maps (Android) and although map quality is excellent (download at home on wi fi or 4G but get it at the "level" ie resolution you will need in the field) the tracking, marking and transfer to laptop are all very rudimentary. That ought to be solvable but I haven't seen it yet.

Phone could in principle be charged from powerbank, vehicle etc more easily than AA batteries perhaps.

In reality most people can't afford $600 for a new GPS using (or shouldn't).
    I know most people do carry them but few use them well and its far from a essential piece of kit.
    An ordinary smartphhone can do 90% of what my garmin can.

My strong advice is to put off buying a GPS.
    Use paper maps and compass first.
    Use a phone app and work on mastering it.

GPS would be way down the list of hunting gizmos for purchase:
    get a better scope
    good binoculars
    good headlamp
    better lighter pack
    Top notch parka
    new unfaded blaze clothes
    good tent
    more ammo

Then think about a GPS if you hunting in the bush or if in open country get a rangefinder first.
    Sideshow, i41do2 and SlowElliot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greatshot View Post
    ?
    I've got a Garmin Oregon 500, had it for about 9 years and find it so easy to use. It's touch screen and easy to navigate with etc

A mate has just got home from the US and has 2 x brand new Garmin Oregon 600 still in the box for sale if your interested- PM for details 👍
    Work Just Gets In The Way

Fulla
    Anyone used a Suunto traverse alpha watch?

My Samsung has better reception than most gps I know of. As for battery life, with the screen turned down as dull as it gets and in airplane mode, with location on I get roughly 18-20 hours run time so I use a power bank. Was out for 5 days this week, only used the power bank three times, gps mode used on and off every day as an idea of battery usage.