Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Whats your hunting footwear????

I have similar experience as @JoshC with all major high-end brands over 20+ years. Now settled on HANWAG and have two different models in use. The Hanwag Alaska GTX are good for bush / farm hunting and were very comfortable right out of the box. Now four years old and the sole is showing sign of wear as expected. The GTX membrane (under the liner) is probably past its expiry date but that is acceptable because of the age and use.

For alpine / tops hunting, I use a pair of Hanwag Sirius GTX which are a much stiffer "alpine boot' and you can use pneumatic crampons with these type of boots. These are only 6 months old and are noticably "beefier" than the Alaska GTX model.

Hanwag Sirius GTX Black - nz

In my experience with HANWAG, the sizing has been consistent between models.
    Preview

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

T.S. Eliot

skellerup ashleys....enough said.
    kimjon and Biggun708 like this.

I'm now running hanwag tatras after losing my hanwag Alaska.

The Alaska was a bloody good boot, but I'm preferring the tatra, slightly lighter and more flexible.

Hanwag and lowa are brother. Hans Wagner and Lorenz Wagner or something like that. Hanwag are a bit cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I'm now running hanwag tatras after losing my hanwag Alaska.

The Alaska was a bloody good boot, but I'm preferring the tatra, slightly lighter and more flexible.

Hanwag and lowa are brother. Hans Wagner and Lorenz Wagner or something like that. Hanwag are a bit cheaper
    Sadly there is no dislike button

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    skellerup ashleys....enough said.
    Is there any other boot?
    Biggun708 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Is there any other boot?
    Yes....skellerup bullers...
    kimjon likes this.

Hi Guys..just latched on to this thread...KJ had all the same doubts and issues, last boots were Skellerups given me by Skellerup to test drive and were pretty good until the steel sole stiffener gave up the ghost...after some research I found the company 'Taranaki Rubber Co,' bought a pair for $110 plus freight I think total $122....oh what a great pair of boots comfortable, dry supportive....check out the website
    Cheers

Name:  IMG_7382.JPG
Views: 525
Size:  224.8 KB

I got these Danner Gila boots from the states. The first year I wore them I got the worse blisters ever, I tried heaps of different things but no joy then finally I replaced the inner sole with my own orthotics and they have been comfortable ever since. Sorry the boots are covered in deers blood but when they are clean they look pretty cool.
    When hunting think safety first

I've had mixed success over the years. Currently chop and change between Meindl Eagle Pro GTX (so comfy and great grip) and Lowa Z-6S GTX (very slippery but love the short length). Also have a new pair of Lowa Renegade GTX which seem very grippy, and some Meindl GP Police, which are heavy and not so grippy. All comes down to what works for you though - love the Meindl Eagle Pro GTX though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicjoe View Post
    I've had mixed success over the years. Currently chop and change between Meindl Eagle Pro GTX (so comfy and great grip) and Lowa Z-6S GTX (very slippery but love the short length). Also have a new pair of Lowa Renegade GTX which seem very grippy, and some Meindl GP Police, which are heavy and not so grippy. All comes down to what works for you though - love the Meindl Eagle Pro GTX though!!
    It's funny that you should say the Z-6 are slippery as both myself and my son have them and spent more time this roar trying to stay standing up.
    They are bloody nice to wear but bloody slippery Lowa have had a few complaints about them from what I here.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    It's funny that you should say the Z-6 are slippery as both myself and my son have them and spent more time this roar trying to stay standing up.
    They are bloody nice to wear but bloody slippery Lowa have had a few complaints about them from what I here.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I really wouldn't recommend them. I'm yet to find a surface they have any grip on!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicjoe View Post
    Yeah, I really wouldn't recommend them. I'm yet to find a surface they have any grip on!
    Carpet?

Post # 46 on here made me piss my pants

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Carpet?
    Even that is questionable...nearly ass up all the time inside at work wearing them. Lino and concrete are definite no go zones haha
    Gibo likes this.

La Sportiva Karakorum, great boots, light (ish), really comfortable, good support, great grip on all sorts of surfaces, only thing they dont do well is stay in one bloody piece! have had the rand repaired after damn near every trip away as it seems to like falling away from the boot.