Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Your best Rifle EVER?

My favourite was an old Stirling .22 mag with a Japanese made Tasco scope made by Hakko I think. I must have been lucky as it never missed as beat or failed me was damn accurate and shot many rabbits, hares, quite few deer and one chamois up the deception valley. I lost it overboard crossing Lake Brunner in bad weather returning from shooting goats.
    Tahr and northdude like this.

alltime favourites . .. to close to call a winner out of my .308 BRNO & .222 Sako

bought the Brno brand new 40+ years ago as my first real hunting rifle as an apprentice with a Redfield 4X on top . . its spent years at a time as a safe queen as i tried other calibers / rifles but i always came back to it sooner or later, old school wood/blued metal is a good fit for me.
    Mk4 3.5-10 mildot on top these days, 19 inch barrel suppressed . . . good rifle

.222 Vixen was my first varmint rifle . . . totally under rated the caliber before i tried one, with a 6X on top it was deadly on Hares and Deer in the light. These days it has a 6.5-20 Leuplod on top and is my go to walkabout the paddocks Hare gun . . classic

honourable mentions go to sako Quad .17hmr - .30/30 Marlin - good rifles / cartridges
    northdude and Mathias like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kokako View Post
    85, 708 IIRC?
    Yes @kokako 85SS 7mm08. Scope is 3-12×50 PMII P3 reticle, without illumination. So, very similar to your setup.

@rossi.45 just wondering do you ever swap the barrel on your sako quad ?

Its interesting we are seeing a few new (bucket list) rifles on this thread which i suppose perform well largely due to their owners having some experience behind them and also at last the money to buy them. However they are outnumbered by golden oldies: BSA, Stirling, SMLE etc. No one has listed a magnum or a tikka yet have they even though they could be technically " better" than most of rifles mentioned so far.

Good idea for a thread @Tahr.
    Tentman and sambnz like this.

Good idea for a thread,

when i first started hunting i loaned a sporterised 6.5x55 M96 from my uncle for a year or more, and missed a couple deer before nailing one. Then when i started as an apprentice i saved up for a while and bought a T3 in the same calibre. A week before i bought it i had eyed up a blued T3 in a local shop for 999 and went back the next week to buy it, as it happens it got sold and i promptly put a stainless one on layby. I got sick of the layby so went in the next week and paid the balance. later i got Scott to flute the barrell and bolt, and added some talley lightweight rings. This was before guncity and beretta decided to sell lightweight models

The scope is a bushnell 4200 and its taken a few knocks, a memorable time was when i got my first red stag , a 10 pointer from the Tararuas. I fell over in the creek and slammed the rifle on a rock a bit hard. I went back to the range the next week and it was out by a good foot at 25 metres. Its been to the northern kawekas, wanganui, through all of the tararuas, aorangis and rimutakas and recently down to the west coast, the paint on the bolt handle got a bit worn away after having to push it up ahead of me onto big rocks and stuff down there. The closest shot would be, 5 paces and the longest to date would be 210 metres. ive only missed one deer with it so far ( touch wood) and hopefully it serves me well for a few years yet..

Its the rifle that gets taken out the most out of the 3 i have, my mate shot his first deer on a Wanganui forum hunt a few years back, which was cool. He went and bought a ruger 7mm.. bastard. I have a choice of a few rifles in the safe such as .223, Sako 243, Sako 6.5-284 for long range, a 308 bushpig, and this always can be relied on to just go bang and kill stuff when i need it

Heres a couple pics of this year so far:

Name:  20160205_183908[1].jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  1.08 MBName:  20160402_124914[1].jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  755.8 KB
    Nathan F, 7mmsaum, Tahr and 4 others like this.
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Good idea for a thread,

when i first started hunting i loaned a sporterised 6.5x55 M96 from my uncle for a year or more, and missed a couple deer before nailing one. Then when i started as an apprentice i saved up for a while and bought a T3 in the same calibre. A week before i bought it i had eyed up a blued T3 in a local shop for 999 and went back the next week to buy it, as it happens it got sold and i promptly put a stainless one on layby. I got sick of the layby so went in the next week and paid the balance. later i got Scott to flute the barrell and bolt, and added some talley lightweight rings. This was before guncity and beretta decided to sell lightweight models

The scope is a bushnell 4200 and its taken a few knocks, a memorable time was when i got my first red stag , a 10 pointer from the Tararuas. I fell over in the creek and slammed the rifle on a rock a bit hard. I went back to the range the next week and it was out by a good foot at 25 metres. Its been to the northern kawekas, wanganui, through all of the tararuas, aorangis and rimutakas and recently down to the west coast, the paint on the bolt handle got a bit worn away after having to push it up ahead of me onto big rocks and stuff down there. The closest shot would be, 5 paces and the longest to date would be 210 metres. ive only missed one deer with it so far ( touch wood) and hopefully it serves me well for a few years yet..

Its the rifle that gets taken out the most out of the 3 i have, my mate shot his first deer on a Wanganui forum hunt a few years back, which was cool. He went and bought a ruger 7mm.. bastard. I have a choice of a few rifles in the safe such as .223, Sako 243, Sako 6.5-284 for long range, a 308 bushpig, and this always can be relied on to just go bang and kill stuff when i need it

Heres a couple pics of this year so far:

Attachment 47954Attachment 47955
    Good going scoped , keep it up
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Yes @kokako 85SS

@rossi.45 just wondering do you ever swap the barrel on your sako quad ?

@Tahr.
    yes but not often . .. if i had set up the Quad with high rings and a short scope or Warne rings with the levers it would be easier ( the barrel has be tipped up at a steep angle to remove ) but i think you would still have to check zero which kinda defeats the quick change idea ( must try it one day to find out ) . . . to me its more to try different calibers and see if you like them or replace the barrel with a different style without a gunsmiths services.

i liked the lightweight sporter so much i got the RANGE when one came up at a good price . . good slick actions with only a few negatives that i can live with

R

Name:  2 quads.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  816.7 KB

Mine would have to be my T3 7mm RM. It is one of two T3's I own and it is a honey to shoot. Plenty accurate, well balanced and nice to carry rifle. Has accounted for deer out to 385yds so far.
    Name:  7mmRM.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  713.0 KB
    Specs:
    Stainless Synthetic T3, 7mm Rem Mag
    Fluted Bolt, after market oversized handle & aluminium shroud, 3 port directional brake (by Gunworks)
    Bell & Carlson Medalist Stock
    Talley rings
    VX3 LR 4.5-14x40 with CDS & Alumina Flip-ups

I still have a soft spot for my first hunting rifle that my father handed down to me too:
    Name:  IMGP1263.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  547.4 KB
    Ruger M77 Mk1 .270win. Loved this rifle, I refurbished the stock and got the trigger improved. I really enjoyed shooting her. Still regret selling this 10 years ago.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

K95
    My K95 6.5x55. Still got a few turn-bolts but haven't even fired another rifle for the last two years. Short, simple, enough punch to take anything at short ranges.

7mmsaum, muzr257, Tahr and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    My K95 6.5x55. Still got a few turn-bolts but haven't even fired another rifle for the last two years. Short, simple, enough punch to take anything at short ranges.

Classy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:  IMG_3252.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  1.05 MB

Sako Vixen 222 Rem pinpoint accuracy topped with 4x leupold snug in low sako rings punches well above its weight 55 gn norma SP projectile @3200 fps
    Nathan F, gadgetman and Dawg like this.

Only owned 2 centrefires, still have them ( haven't had them long).

T3 308 bushpig, nzhunter
    T3 7mm rem mag big bushpig, nz hunter

Nothing fancy with them just fluted the rem mag bolt so I could tell them apart.

Loving the rem mag at the moment
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Name:  IMG_0220.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  1.01 MB

Sako 85 Bavarian 308 with Kahles CT 3-9x42

Haven't had it long, absolutely love it. Don't ever plan to sell it, would like to pass it down to my kids. Dropped deer, tahr & pigs. Great times.

Really nice wood on that 85

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Eat a dick!😆 I donated the extra ones to some Tasmanians.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Mate they have two heads, the poor bastards don't need any other additional digits.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Name:  Wanganui hunt 014.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  961.2 KB Has to be my 308 Ruger Hawkeye with a Pentax 3-9x40 scope.
    gadgetman likes this.