Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 3 Post By Barefoot
  • 7 Post By stug
  • 6 Post By R93
  • 2 Post By jakewire
  • 1 Post By Kero
  • 1 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By kiwijames
  • 1 Post By Jit

Thread: Blaser

Blaser

Just testing the water... Quite keen on a Blaser. Are they all they're cracked up to be? Is it worth going new or are there some good second hand units out there? Thanks in advance!

If you sit back and wait there will be a reasonable priced s/hand one along sooner or later.
    If you can find someone local who has one, try shooting it first, people tend to like or loathe them.
    If you want something super light, don't even bother looking.
    Blaser, kiwijames and Shearer like this.
    I have the tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve

I'm a recent Blaser owner. I think they are great for what they are designed for, but not ideal for NZ style of hunting. They were designed for European hunters where they are limited to the number of rifles they can own and a separate barrel is not regarded as a rifle. They are heavy, but European hunting is sitting in blinds or short walks, not multi day hunts like in NZ.
    Their positives are the trigger is awesome, the repeatability of removing barrels and scopes and keeping zero is amazing and takes a while to get use to. The advantage of keeping the same stock, length of pull, trigger when switching calibres is great. They are accurate!nthe bolt is awesome and fast.
    The downside is the cost. A new barrel will be about the same as a whole new T3 rifle. The scope mounts are great, by expensive and you need a different one for each barrel. A different calibre group also needs a different bolt head.
    I bought mine second hand and have two barrels in 7mm mag and 223 I have nearly $5000 in it not including scopes. You could pick up two second hand Sako 75's for that.
    They are a great rifle with pros and cons like any other. See if you can try someone's first.
    jakewire, Blaser, Timmay and 4 others like this.

R93
    I bought my R93 offroad in '98.
    Prior to that I changed rifle and calibers like @BRADS. 😆

I have 3 barrels and 4 scopes for it. I have not looked at buying any other rifle since.
    Yes I have spent money on getting my blaser to where it is now so all up it has probably cost me 8.5 k since I first purchased it.

I have a light one that I can carry all day.
    All barrels shoot better than I can.
    When hunting alone I can hunt with a round chambered all day long and it takes just a bit more effort than a tang safety on a shotgun to get into a firing ready situation.
    I can go from a practical bush gun to a LR rifle by just changing the scope in the 30 secs it takes me to get it out of my bag.
    Yeah they are not for everyone but I personally have never come across a more practical and reliable system that let's me hunt the way I do.

I will never sell or replace it with a turn bolt.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I have one and I like it. Totally different from other rifles I've owned but it makes sense owning the one rifle, they are heavy compared to some other rifles but are short in comparison and I love shooting mine.
    Some good points of view above that are bang on the money...and it is a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Absolutely great advice from the people above.
    If I count new scope price that are currently on the rifles I have over 14k NZD replacement invested in two Sako rifles, it may well have been better for me to go down the Blaser route.
    shift14 and Danny like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Awesome info, thanks heaps guys. I'm on the fence, own a sako and was going to buy another but really liked the blaser options. I've been talking to Joel at Stager about a R93 as they appear to have been replaced by the R8, so is a cheaper option. Really appreciate the posts, thanks heaps
    Danny likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Kero View Post
    Awesome info, thanks heaps guys. I'm on the fence, own a sako and was going to buy another but really liked the blaser options. I've been talking to Joel at Stager about a R93 as they appear to have been replaced by the R8, so is a cheaper option. Really appreciate the posts, thanks heaps
    I would go with what some have suggested and have a decent play with one first.
    I was fortunate enough to be loaned one for a while. Cleaned up 3 meat animals in a small clearing the first time out with it even while trying to lift the bolt each shot😆

I knew once I got used to it, it would be hard to go back to the norm.

Blaser seems to me to be a pretty much life time investment, well at my age anyway , so exercise caution about buying a new 93 , make sure you get assurances that the after sales backup will continue.
    An R8 may be a better choice.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

True. Apparently they will discontinue barrels for the 93. I've been watching plenty of youtube clips etc to try and get as much info as I can before I commit. Only ever picked one up, and it was custom caliber from memory

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Kero View Post
    True. Apparently they will discontinue barrels for the 93. I've been watching plenty of youtube clips etc to try and get as much info as I can before I commit. Only ever picked one up, and it was custom caliber from memory
    I have 2 barrels that I can change into any cal I want within reason as they already have custom barrels fitted.
    You are NOT limited too having to buy factory barrels.

I have never had any part fail in my rifle.
    It apart from the stock and barrels are original.
    I have overtime bought a spare BCG and bolt heads.
    About the only things that I can think of that will possibly wear out over time.

Blaser likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I would consider the R8 Professional S Off Road as the best option. The S Series loads like the R93 (top load), no detatch trigger or magazine. The R8 in my opinion is too heavy for the kiwi hunter, but the S variant is much more sporting in weight and will have the option of all R8 barrels and accessories. The R93 as a rifle is discontinued with limited barrels being produced. I would expect they too will soon be dropped.
    Jit likes this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Jit
    Had whole number of blaser 93s and 8s . All that has been said is true. Id go R8 Proffessional in standard contour sensible calibre and shorten the barrel slight as I have done on my.308. Short, reasonable weight , .25 moa accurate and simply feels good to own.
    In terms of euro hunter as I have been for decades the barrel is effectly the gun. Interchangeable come in when your stock as I had is an attaché which serious cash investment so a couple of barrels makes great sense.

Jit
    Ah yes then theres the straight pull . You can shoot very quickly. I've shot several animals one after the other due to its speed . No doubt a bolt action could have been effective too but Ive not managed it myself .
    Ginga likes this.