Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rifle Cleaning Rod For .22

Rifle Cleaning Rod For .22

Brass or Carbon Fibre (Basicly Anything That Won't Damage Barrel)
    Single Peice
    Budget Around $60

Feel free to suggest if you know a shop selling the above for roughly 60 price range

Answer not suited to your budget but Tipton Carbon Fibre is the best you can get. Unfortunatley local prices run @ around 79 bucks plus need to add jags. Also some 22 rimfires are better cleaned using a 20 cal rod.
    Brass rods are a thing of the past.

Buy the very best rod once and that's it.
    duckdog likes this.

just follow Zimmer's suggestion, get a tipton carbon.

If you have a cheap 22, there is little point in getting a rod I think, a 15 dollar snake will do. cheap 22s have big enough tolorance that there will never be enough build up (after you clean using the snake) to cause any issues. So the only reason you would want a rod is because you have a mid to high end 22. if so, you should get a good rod because it is worth it.

rods are delicate, you push too hard they bend or break, so I would not recommend buying one used - especially when you are thinking 60 and brand new is only 79.

I gone through this exact thought process and research. I bought a tipton from Reloaders about 1 year ago, very happy.
    Steve123 likes this.

I bought a KIDD barrel so was wanting something safe for it. For bore snake, Tommy suggested it too, do we attach a Jag or a Bore mop at one end and drag it through? I'm having a look at some videos can't seen to find how the patch holder or bore brush are meant to work with it.

Edit: Do they often break for you guys and get stuck in the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I bought a KIDD barrel so was wanting something safe for it. For bore snake, Tommy suggested it too, do we attach a Jag or a Bore mop at one end and drag it through? I'm having a look at some videos can't seen to find how the patch holder or bore brush are meant to work with it.

You just pull a bore snake through, Maybe squirt a bit of oil right at the back of it if you want. I use the snake after I've finished shooting then do a clean at home. Get the Tipton rod the other guys have mentioned I have one for 22 and one for the 30's and some good solvent.
    TheChosenOne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    You just pull a bore snake through, Maybe squirt a bit of oil right at the back of it if you want. I use the snake after I've finished shooting then do a clean at home. Get the Tipton rod the other guys have mentioned I have one for 22 and one for the 30's and some good solvent.
    Remember to pull the snake straight out of the barrel, don't let it rub on the side of the crown
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post

I have 2 KIDD barrels, they are VERY tight. snake line will break. Mine has once.

With KIDD, if you do not use rod, you will get black carbon ring buildup in the chamber.
    TheChosenOne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    I have 2 KIDD barrels, they are VERY tight. snake line will break. Mine has once.

With KIDD, if you do not use rod, you will get black carbon ring buildup in the chamber.
    Thanks, are you using .22 size rod or some sizes down?

I use 22 sized.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Answer not suited to your budget but Tipton Carbon Fibre is the best you can get. Unfortunatley local prices run @ around 79 bucks plus need to add jags. Also some 22 rimfires are better cleaned using a 20 cal rod.
    Brass rods are a thing of the past.

Buy the very best rod once and that's it.
    Until they break. Not in a 22 lr though. Snapped mine after a couple of years and didn't like the flex in it. Bought a pro shot, it's much better imho.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

The debate, is essentially flex vs abrasing vs lose coating.

Carbon has flex, but it is smooth and does not lose coating (because it has none). that is tipton. If you are not careful, you can bend and break it.

steel has less flex, but is too hard and can be too abrasing to the bore and rifling. some match barrel makers recommend against too frequent rod cleaning.

a half way solution is coated steel rods, but as you can read user feedbacks, the coating gets worn off. some say a few weeks, some say a few months (I guess depending on amount of usage and how rough is the barrel/rifling). But once the coating is off, the bare steel is probably slightly rougher compared to smoothed naked steel rods.

There is no perfect solutions here. just which treat off you can live with.

I went with Tipton because I figured since I am using it on premium barrels, I want the least amount of barrel damage possible. I can always be slow and careful not to bend it.

Maybe the day I break my carbon rod I will change my mind.

How come people stopped using brass? My understanding was that its not as hard as the rifle barrel or steel rod, but more flexible? Wouldn't it be in the middle point between carbon and steel?

What about highly polished stainless steel rods like proshot? Surely that wouldn't scratch barrel? Unless you are jamming a really tight patch thru and creating alot of flex.
    Feather or Shoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    What about highly polished stainless steel rods like proshot? Surely that wouldn't scratch barrel? Unless you are jamming a really tight patch thru and creating alot of flex.
    Which is exactly what happened to my Tipton. I'm a fan of the biggest diameter, that fits in your barrel, with the least flex. That's why I went pro shot.

Carbon remover probably kills those Tipton rods too.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

To the OP, Tipton cleaning rods are terrific.
    I have three and have zero complaints.
    zimmer and Steve123 like this.