Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rifle Cleaning Rod For .22

Quote Originally Posted by Feather or Shoot View Post
    Until they break. Not in a 22 lr though. Snapped mine after a couple of years and didn't like the flex in it. Bought a pro shot, it's much better imho.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk
    How on earth did you break it Did you take it back to the shop?
    Tipton developed their carbon rods at the time of Desert Storm. I have seen an advert for one bent in a semi circle without breaking.
    None of the various solvents I use have damaged the Tipton. Bore-Tec, Sweets, Shooter Choice, Foam Sprays you mane it. Including cleaning with Brak Kleen.

As others have posted: Highly Polished SS Rods still can peen the barrel, Coated Rods al la PH pick up microscopic grit and tear away. The best of the coated ones are Bore-Tec.

No matter what rod material is used they will all saw away if a correct fitting rod guide is not used.
    Always use a rod that is the correct calibre for the barrel. This will minmise "slappig". Don't use a smaller rod in a larger bore.
    I have rods to suit 22cal, 6mm, 6.5mm, 284, 30 cal. Yes the cost does run up but is little compared to a stuffed barrel due to poor cleaning techniques and equipment.
    Last edited by zimmer; 21-03-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Another plus for Tipton is they have designed the shaft to come right thru the handle. If you do get stuck as a last resort you can safely tap of the shaft without damaging the handle ball race. I have had to do this and have not broken the rod as a result.