Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Used AR15 with 20" Barrel/scope/silencer $2k budget

Used AR15 with 20" Barrel/scope/silencer $2k budget

Hey Guys,

I recently renewed my gun license and would like to hunt goats and rabbits, I also like the AR15 as I could buy a CMMG conversion kit OR a 22LR upper at a later date.

I just asked The Burtonator if his WW VEX-SS is still for sale as it could fit the bill.

disclaimer: Ive been doing a bit of reading but Im still new to AR15's.

so what Ive learnt thus far is that im looking for:

manufacturer: Winhdham Weaponry, Stag Arms, Colt or the like
    Barrel: 20" barrel / Match grade
    Twist: 1:8 twist - 1:9 twist
    rifle length gas system
    good trigger
    adjustable stock
    variable scope
    Silencer

I dont want to have to make any changes to this gun, just want a reliable keeper that wont give me any problems. good accuracy up to ?300 yards?

thanks in advance

S

Only way to get a good trigger is put it in yourself.

The Windham Weaponry AR that can be found in most stores (and you mentioned) will meet majority of your requirements, much more than most other stock AR's available in NZ will any way.

Ah I see, good to know thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by stev0 View Post
    adjustable stock
    Don't forget, that's E cat

Also check out gunsnz.com they've got some nice AR's.

thanks for that, I didn't know. Yup I'll be staying with A-Cat. Yeah lots to see on that sight. Cheers

And being A cat you can only have the 7 round magazines, no 20 or 30 rounders.....

I've got the Smith & Wesson M&P15 from them, great service, shoots straight.

Hey stevO, I have the Windham VEX-SS and it is a superb rifle. Designed as a varmint rifle,the barrel under the fore end is very heavy.
    Add a big scope in a cantilever mount,suppressor,sling and you better believe it's a heavy outfit!

To get a more portable 20" barrel you could look at the AR15 A2 models from Stag,Windham even (god forbid) Norinco/Ranger.
    Just remove the carry handle to mount a scope. Most A2 models are threaded for flash hider,so easy to screw on a suppressor.

Don't know where you live but it would be good to visit a decent gunshop or nzar15 on Kapiti coast and handle a few AR's.
    Lots of people on this forum more knowledgeable than me,so don't be shy to ask questions!

Your $2k won't get you what you want has you will have to make to many compromises on cost / quality $2.5k to $3.0k is more realistic.

Sure a Vex SS is a good AR but its kind old as far as the newer options out there, and is heavy for what it is.

Don't get hung up on the 20 inch "match barrel" there is a lot of good 16 inch CHF (cold hammer forged ) barrels that will take you out 300-400m no worries.

I suggest you contact
    1. Ken at NZAR15 - https://nzar15.com/store/
    or
    2 John at NZRAC - New Zealand Repeating Arms Co Ltd - Shop Home

These guys know a lot about AR15s and have a lot of good parts and complete guns.

Some recommendation on specs to look out for, that will give you a balance of specs / quality / cost
    Note: Mil spec does not mean the best spec but it does mean parts are interchangeable and safe to use with the hotter 5.56mm ammo

1. Upper - forged mil spec M4 upper, fitted out with mil spec charging handle and dust cover

2. Barrel - 16 inch 1/7 twist (will do 55gr to 77gr pills) Stainless steel or CHF with Chrome Line Chamber and bore, all come with threaded ends. look for 5.56mm. Note .223 Wyled is more accurate but also cost more due to not been as widely used, don't go .223 as you will only ever be able to shoot .223 as the 5.56mm pressure is higher. Look for a mid length gas port, still light recoil like the rifle length but not has hard as the carbine length,
    Note the shorter the gas length the more pressure / force sent back to the BCG.
    Remember Match Grade = $$$$

3. Hand guard - sure quad rails look coool and you can hang lots of things from them BUT they are heavy and rip up your hands and gear, look for Key Mod or M Lok accessories system - do get a "free floated" hand guard.

4. lower - forged mill spec or billet - cost is about the same - Aero Precision and Mega Arms have other options that have some nice features that dont cost much so worth a look

5. Trigger - AGL make a cleaned up mill spec trigger less grity but still a single stage, Geissele make a very nice range of 2 stage triggers and are still "Special Forces mil spec". Stay away from drop in adjustable triggers, not worth the $$ on your first AR and can be prone to light primer strikes.

6. BCG - bolt carrier group, must have correctly stacked gas key, MPI and HP tested is good to have. Most $300 BCG like Spikes Tactical are fully mill spec,
    Note: fancy coatings look cool but are not really needed, look for a M16 BCG as its weight is good for use with all ammo.

7. Stocks - the spears stocks are light and comfortable to use, stay away from the big thumb hole ones, they are heavy some of the cheap ones break.

8. Suppressors - Aluminium is ok for 3-5 rapid shoots any more and you will melt the insides out, MAE or Witaki Engineering (Both New Zealand Companies) make fair priced stainless & steel suppressors.

9. optics - Vortex PSTs, Leuplod ARs are good scopes a 3-9x40 with 30mm tube and single mount will give you a good balance of range and light weight, just remember to have the reticle and turrets in the same standard ie Mil/Mil or MOA / MOA - watch out for Mil reticle with MOA turrets, makes dialling very hard has you have a Metric reticle but imperial adjustment .

10. Watch You Tube, have a look at - NZ85, Twang and Bang, MrGunsandgear, Hickok45, Iraqveteran8888, nutfancy, sootch00, Militray Arms Channel - these guys have a wealth of AR15 information, from parts review, building a AR, what works and what does not work.

11. Brands that are good price and wont cost the earth. CMMG, DPMS, Aero Precision, Stag, Spikes Tactical, NEA ( most provide guns to the military)

12. Don't buy a Ranger AR from gun city, I'm sure there are plenty of people that love them but for the same $$ you drop on a Ranger you can build a very tricked out custom AR. Colts and Bushmaster fall into the same group lots of $$ to be spent on a name and what is really a $500 gun in the USA.

13. Accessories, don't buy all this siht to put on your AR, BAD leaver, fore grip, 45 deg sights, flash lights, laser designator, etc... you wont use it and it will add weight, just get a simple set up with maybe a bipod.

14. 22LR kits - the 22LR bolt kits are OK but require a bit of tuning and do make a lot of mess in the barrel, chamber and upper to clean up. CMMG do a nice dedicated 22LR upper with a dedicated 22LR chamber a BCG, there are some complete 22LR AR's but these tend to be cheap and cant be made to shoot .223 or 5.56mm.

I'm sure there are others with different thoughts on what to get but these are mine and most follow best practice I hope this helps out a bit, if you have any questions let me know.
    Last edited by ANTMAN; 10-04-2016 at 12:47 AM.
    PERRISCICABA, Tommy, Jexla and 4 others like this.

You forgot to include detail on the trigger.
    Most important parts on an AR are a good barrel, bolt carrier group and decent trigger.
    dirtyhabit and Jexla like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

P38
    @stev0

I know where there is (was) a WW VEX-SS with a 20"barrel for sale well under your budget.

I could give him a call and see if he's still got it if you like.

Cheers
    Pete

Thanks heaps guys especially ANTMAN for taking the time to give me advice specific to my needs, such as a good quality reliable accurate AR15 without the Frills... I'll definetly be familiarising myself with your advice and referring back to this. I've looked at a couple of AR15's at gun city and will pop in again to get a feel of the better brands, just tire kicking there.

But I'm still keen to go the second hand route though so Pete, I would be interested in looking at the WW VEX-SS.

I can't justify spending more than $2k on a gun so an out of the box AR15 package would blow that budget. I'm looking for Old Faithful

Glad I joined this forum! I wasn't getting the advice I needed from the retailers...

Watch trademe. Just picked up a barely used DPMS for not much over $1k. Not precisely what I'm after, furniture-wise, but a solid starting point. I should be able to flick the parts I don't want to fund the parts I do. There's bargains to be had if you're patient.

P38
    @stev0

Get a hold of @Digit NZAR15.com
    https://nzar15.com/store/

He has several New AR15 Options for under $2k

He's good for straight up advise without the hard sell bullshit too.

Cheers
    Pete
    dirtyhabit likes this.

ANTMAN pretty much wrote what I couldn't be bothered writing, I agree with 100% of what he has said.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Yup thanks again ANTMAN for taking the time out of your day, not easy to get good advice like that... much appreciated.