Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: WTB Lefty 243.

WTB Lefty 243.

Looking for a rifle for my son for his birthday pretty sure we're after a 243 but will consider a 223 22-250 maybe 260. Any way caliber not so important but Must be a lefty or single shot ambidextrous ect ect. would love a compact or youth stock for him but realise probably slim pickings in lefty. Anyway cheers.
    trooper90 likes this.

Don't take this the wrong way but have you tryed teaching him to shoot right handed.
    I have a left handed son(12)
    After watching a couple you tube videos I had him shooting right handed without too much trouble.

Heeeeeey buddy. My brother has a LH ruger american .243 that he needs to sell. Only about 2 year old with minimal use.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowElliot View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way but have you tryed teaching him to shoot right handed.
    I have a left handed son(12)
    After watching a couple you tube videos I had him shooting right handed without too much trouble.
    If he is left eye dominant that would be a really stupid thing to do.
    Rich007, tetawa and 300CALMAN like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

A lot of right hand people are left eye dominant.
    Should they being shooting left hand rifles in your opinion?

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/www.t...ht-handed/amp/

In my opinion, yes.
    You can also teach a right hander to throw a ball with their left hand, but they will never do it as well as with their natural hand.

he owns a 22 right hand since he was 6 he's used it twice and lost interest cause it was too awkward. I'm trying to make it fun for him again.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    In my opinion, yes.
    You can also teach a right hander to throw a ball with their left hand, but they will never do it as well as with their natural hand.
    True, and I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you, but I want him to be able to shoot my rifles, i did the research and now he can. He shoots just fine.
    Saying its really stupid pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Heeeeeey buddy. My brother has a LH ruger american .243 that he needs to sell. Only about 2 year old with minimal use.
    his names not Jordan by any chance?
    I've been talking to a young guy on fb. Anyway I'd be keen to have a look at it.

If you're right handed but left eye dominant, I think it would be a lot easier to just switch your eye dominance by wearing an eyepatch. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular...ance#Treatment

End result is you get to use standard configuration firearms, work them with your dominant hand, and aim with your newly dominant eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    he owns a 22 right hand since he was 6 he's used it twice and lost interest cause it was too awkward. I'm trying to make it fun for him again.
    In that case, I would definitely get him a left hand rifle. 😊

haha yep thats him..palmy north. Is a nice little rifle. Sounds like you've got it sorted anyhow so will keep my nose out of it.

Sorry to piss you off @SlowElliot. I didn't mean it as a personal attack.
    I am left handed. I shot right handed rifles for years, but I shot them left handed because that was what felt "right". I am left eye dominant. I'm sure your boy could also shoot your rifles on his left shoulder using his left eye if that is what feels natural to him and if he continues to shoot he can buy himself a left handed rifle when the time comes. I think it is more important to use the correct eye than cycle the bolt comfortably. It is also easy to find out which eye is dominant - google it.
    You are obviously right handed. You pick up your rifle left handed and ask yourself if you think you could ever shoot it as well like that as you do right handed? (even after a lot of practice). I'm sure you too could shoot left handed "just fine" but probably not as good as you would your natural way.

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    If you're right handed but left eye dominant, I think it would be a lot easier to just switch your eye dominance by wearing an eyepatch. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular...ance#Treatment

End result is you get to use standard configuration firearms, work them with your dominant hand, and aim with your newly dominant eye.
    Or you could just poke your left eye out.
    That would also make you right eye dominant.
    kiwijames likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Or you could just poke your left eye out.
    That would also make you right eye dominant.
    True, but it has a few downsides. Although you would have a reason to wear the eyepatch for a lot longer, and everyone wants to be a pirate.
    Feather or Shoot and Shearer like this.