Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: $1400....What would you get?

I would've thought personal fit, feel,etc would be as important as the latest brand.
    Maybe find one that points well, and feels comfortable and test drive from there.
    If your mates have different brands etc, try theirs before Shelling out the hawksbys on something that may not be best for you.
    Not something to be rushed.
    Ya can't park there mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post

Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle, paid $1700 for mine but @Timmay got his a bit cheaper so you might be able to shop around.

A pleasure to carry around, factory cerakoted, bansner high tech stock, so light as.

Easily shoots around an inch with factory 180gr power points, seems to be tightening up as the barrel breaks in too, my zero check at hunt last week was under an inch with no rear bag.

The others are good too, just something to consider.

You won't really go wrong if you spend $1400 on a bare rifle.
    Thanks for that. I was wondering how poeple have been finding them. Although since its a lightweight barrel does it heat up quickly and start spreading shots?

Personal fit/feel is important as others have said.

I'd go for a Savage myself and get some change from your budget. Better chance of good accuracy than most (its always possible to get a lemon with any brand), great trigger, nice 3-stage tang safety, smooth action.
    gadgetman and blake like this.

I know someone selling a Tikka T3 6.5x 55 with a burris 3-9x 40. Scope and gun looking at $1350 only been sighted and one deer shot so only a box through it. If interested PM me

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    sako75 likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    I know someone selling a Tikka T3 6.5x 55 with a burris 3-9x 40. Scope and gun looking at $1350 only been sighted and one deer shot so only a box through it. If interested PM me

Did the deer not fall over????
    HNTMAD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Did the deer not fall over????
    Well it is a 6.5x55 lol, Nah the guy moved to Australia and has no need for it

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

$1400....What would you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Thanks for that. I was wondering how poeple have been finding them. Although since its a lightweight barrel does it heat up quickly and start spreading shots?
    No worries, I'm sure it probably would but then again it's built to be a hunting rifle so being able to handle 10+ round groups is not really a concern to me.

Still early days as I only shot two 3 shot groups zeroing, both around an inch and then a five shot group to confirm, also about an inch.

Before the hunt last week I shot 3 shots to make sure zero had not shifted and got a cloverleaf, but with no rear bag so I could have pulled them together accidentally haha!

Bearing in mind that this is from brand new and with factory ammo so probably not enough to go on for a full review.
    @Timmay, how is yours going?
    Last edited by Spudattack; 30-10-2016 at 08:49 PM.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    if you don't want a tikka I can't think of any other rifle in that price bracket worthy of wasting your money on.
    just stating the facts

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    All sheep think the same after all!

Enlighten me as to how a Tikka shoots better than a Savage,Howa,Ruger or Remington?

With everything being equal no one could tell the difference so why is your beloved T$&&a so special and better?

To the original poster I'd keep an eye out for a Mark V weatherby as there are a number in the sub 1400 coming out second hand in near new Nic and are fantastic rifles. I suppose it depends on your calibre and specifics, for 1500 a second hand sako 75 is possible and they are second to none.

A mate's brother-in-law just bought a Howa Alpine rifle, I fondled and shot it a bit at the range, feels like a regular Howa 1500 in terms of the action and trigger, just a bit lighter weight. Honestly I'd go for a regular Howa instead of the Alpine and invest the $800 saved on a nice scope. All things being equal I'd rather go with a Savage, simply because I've found they shoot really well for me, and the accu-trigger is not for everyone but I really like it now that I've gotten used to it. Can't really go wrong with any of the above (except the Tikka, haha) Remington, Howa, Savage etc. Browning A-bolts are available as a package with a one-piece mount/ring thing and a Zeiss Terra 3-9x40 for $1499. Think about after-market/replacement stuff too: Remington 700; probably the most popular bolt-action centrefire rifle in the world, you can get mounts, stocks, trigger groups, anything you want for it, there are tons of options. With the Savage not quite as many, but their floating bolt head and barrel nut means you can buy and fit new barrels yourself, and also means the accuracy is generally excellent as they can set the headspace very precisely at the factory. Tikkas, well, should you need a new Tikka stock you may as well buy another rifle, I remember trying to get a price a few years ago from Beretta NZ for a replacement Tikka stock and the nett cost was something in the order of $800. Plastic bolt shroud? Plastic trigger guard? $160 for a spare mag? Tikkas also tend to have slow twist rates and short magazine lengths, e.g. I looked at one in .300WM a while back, but they were 1 in 11" twist and the mags are too short to load heavier bullets, only a concern if reloading I guess.

In short: Savage
    GravelBen, 6mm ackley and Pixie Z like this.

I would get a howa barelled action from gunworks and a stug stock and call it done
    25/08IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post

Enlighten me as to how a Tikka shoots better than a Savage,Howa,Ruger or Remington?

With everything being equal no one could tell the difference so why is your beloved T$&&a so special and better?

To the original poster I'd keep an eye out for a Mark V weatherby as there are a number in the sub 1400 coming out second hand in near new Nic and are fantastic rifles. I suppose it depends on your calibre and specifics, for 1500 a second hand sako 75 is possible and they are second to none.
    Tikkas have a reputation of shooting much better than their pencil thin barrels should.
    They are also light, have great triggers, usual come in a barrel twist that is extremely useful/practical and don't cost much more than a Savage or Remington.

They aren't the best rifle in the world, but for the money they are hard to beat.

If I were the OP and didn't want a Tikka, I'd go for a Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post

come to one of our shoots and you'll be enlightened about my special tikka!
    I havn't had enough to drink to start into the tikka versus the other say so brands but be rest assured when I am in the zone it's a bit of fun.
    tried the rest and stuck to best!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and BRADS like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Haha I somehow knew this would kick off the ol "Tikka vs the world" thing. Thanks for all the other suggestions gents, given me some food for thought! I was already leaning towards a Savage because of the out of the box accuracy or a Remmy 700 due to the aftermarket options like mentioned! Couple others to consider now as well. (And nope still not a Tikka!)

$1400....What would you get?

Let's be honest here blokes, he is after a rifle to carry around the hills hunting, arguing over one hundredth of an Moa difference in accuracy is pretty pointless.

If you are spending $1400 on a rifle you are pretty much going to be coming out with a winner no matter which one you like the feel of.

I dislike tikkas as much as the next bloke but I have to admit there is nothing wrong with them and they are very good rifles, they are just not to my taste.

Justifying your own purchase gets pretty tiresome....
    gadgetman, Pengy and timattalon like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

For something different have a look at some of graham champions 2nd hand scandanavian imports excellent guns a bit different to tikkas, remis etc
    timattalon likes this.