Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 10X42 vs 8X42

10X42 vs 8X42

I'm looking at getting binoculars that will last me a very very long time......Leica HD-B's. My plan is to get 10X42's. But if I get 8X42's they will throw in a set of Ultravid 10X25's for free. At the very least I could sell these. Which has me thinking.......Are 10X42's better than 8X42's???

10X42's - greater magnification

8X42's - greater field of view, better light gathering

What do you guys/girls think?
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

10x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rob270 likes this.

Depends on your application. Always liked 8x for their field of view and low light performace as you say. I would recommend 8x42 for most North Island applications.

Down south though with the greater distances to glass i would go for 10x42s.

I brought 10x42s myself and given most of my hunting is North island i probably should have got the 8x42s or 8x32s.

10x25s are great as they are super small and light weight but loose on the low light ability and comfort over long periods of glassing.

i have 8x geovids, plenty enough magnification to spot animals, this is south island country included. cant really see how a 10x could spot any more animals to be honest.

With a free set of ultravids thrown in seems like a bit of a no brainer to me?
    tui_man2 and Toby like this.

When you are spotting the head of a tahr over or in scrub at 1.5-2.0km, 10x comes in handy. The extra 25% is significant, more so if you are not carrying a spotter to then assess animals after that - well, in my experience anyway. I'll be first to admit my eyesight isn't awesome.

I had a set of 8x32 Trinovids, didn't have them long, much prefer the 10x32/42s.

Love my HDBs

Had 8x, prefer my 10x.
    How much of the field of view do your eyes actually focus on at any one time?
    8x will be better at very first and last light though!

ebf
    10x for me
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

10x for me, but that's a serious carrot for them to dangle. Why are they throwing a pair in?? Can't they sell 8x binos?? Maybe that's your answer.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    10x for me, but that's a serious carrot for them to dangle. Why are they throwing a pair in?? Can't they sell 8x binos?? Maybe that's your answer.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I prefer 10 power, especially for distance. I even check from time to time through my scope at 25 power.

Ever heard the saying 'there's no substitute for cubes...'?
    7mmsaum and veitnamcam like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

I prefer 10 power, especially for distance. I even check from time to time through my scope at 25 power.

Ever heard the saying 'there's no substitute for cubes...'?
    No! but id like an explanation
    Toby likes this.

I went from 8 x to 10 x I found the 10 power a little more shaky ( less forgiving ) . I only brought 10 x because they where on offer , and I sure 8 x would have been fine .
    Can you try them side by side ?
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I had 10x25's and 8-20x50's, neither suitable for hunting really. Have been tossing up between 8x42 and 10x42 and figured it wouldn't make much difference to me either way. In the end I found a deal on something in between.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I know some guys that have gone from 8x to 10x and regretted it and some that have done the reverse.

Some people shake like they've got a twenty cup a day caffeine addiction. Pointless paying for premium optics if you're one of those, especially in 10x42.

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my 30 year old 8x30 Steiner's to a set of Zeiss Victory HT 10x42's. Then again, I might just get the same in 8x42 for the better light gathering in well hunted areas where some of the better animals seem to emerge just on dark. No doubt, if you're checking out Chamois or Tahr horns then 10x would make more sense. Horses for courses.

The main advantage of 8x is smaller size. Partly lost if x42.

Have a feel of the ergonomics. Tried a pair of HD-B10x42 and they are ugly as and the feel is weird like you're sinking your hands into a lump of clay or a pair of bike handlebars or something. Very stable, though. Also the rangefinding is fantastic.

As said, you can only take advantage of mag in you achieve steady hold. Power can compensate for sub-average eyesight.

Don't underrate field of view - makes orientation and scanning easier. Ease of use beats extreme features.