Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 2-10ish x40 hunting scopes

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Post up what you reckon g, I like mine a lot, great scope for the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Agree

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Happy to, I haven't had a chance to have a good look through the scope but will have by the end of the week
    Danny likes this.

Good chance to have a look through the scopes, comparison between Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 and Leupold 2-12x42.
    On lowest power ie 3 on the Zeiss and 2 on the Leupold it's a nose to the Zeiss, better colours, brighter Greens and deeper darks, whilst still able to see more detail in the blacks with the Zeiss. Slightly better eye box on the Zeiss. The benefit though to the Leupold is on the 2 Power you have a huge FOV which is perfect for bush.
    Turn it up to 12 power on both and it's hard to pick but again if i had to choose I would give the colours to the Zeiss.
    After that the nose goes to Zeiss as you are able to crank to 15 power.

Turrets are far better on the Zeiss (plus lockable) but I do prefer the simplicity on the Leupold with no parallax adjustment.

I much prefer the Zeiss Plex, thicker outsides with a nice fine inside duplex, plus lets not forget the Lotutec Coating on the Zeiss.

The Leupold feels like a thick reticle on the lower powers, once turned up to 12 its about .8-.9" @ 100m so the specs on Leupold's site is wrong - it claims 1cm @ 100m.

Some Sheep at 486m

Zeiss @ 12 power

Name:  hd5.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  260.0 KB

Leupold @ 12 power

Name:  vx6.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  292.7 KB

Give me a Zeiss in 2-10 with the lockable turrets and no parallax adjustment and it would be hands down the better scope.

FYI it took me around 5 seconds to take a pick through the Zeiss but like 1 minute through the Leupold, a much easier eye box on high power for the Zeiss.

For the money, I picked up the Leupold for about $1400 NZ new, Its good value, I know the HD5 can be had from Giles at about $1500 new, which puts them both at very good value. If you want to get railed by other retailers then you are looking at about $1700 for the HD5 and $2000 for the Leupold, given that pricing the HD5 blows the leupold out of the water and its not even close.
    Last edited by Timmay; 18-02-2017 at 08:07 PM.
    Danny, Shearer and LOC like this.

Agree with that. When comparing the vx6 3-18x44 to the zeiss 5-25x50 it's an absolute no contest. Zeiss turrets are 1000x better and glass is noticeably better.

I have the leupold on my rem mag and zeiss on my blaser
    Dicko likes this.

The Zeiss hd5 above will be 1100 ish here in Sydney if your dropping over the ditch this winter. Magnum sports have a fair few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk