Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: 20,000 guns stolen per year according to the ODT

Looks like NZ media following the main stream media in the USA and spreading fake news, call them out on it no one believes the media anymore with access to the net and able make up our own minds. Its all political propaganda bullshit IMO of course.

I received a reply to my letter to the Minister of Police basically a waste of time,

Dear Mr Walker

I am writing on behalf of Hon Paula Bennett, Minister of Police, who has asked me to acknowledge and thank you for your email of 14 January 2017 concerning Mr Cahill’s statement that there were 20,000 firearms stolen or sold to offenders. Please be assured that your comments have been noted.

I must point out that politicians cannot instruct Police in operational matters. This is a long standing convention that was enshrined in law with the passing of the Policing Act 2008. It ensures that law enforcement and investigation by the Police remain free of any political influence or interference.

Therefore, as the issues you refer to in your correspondence relate to matters that are the responsibility of the Commissioner of Police, I have transferred your email to his office for consideration.

Yours sincerely

Ali Sedgwick
    Part Time Private Secretary (Police) | Office of Hon Paula Bennett | Minister of Police
    7.6 Executive Wing | Parliament Buildings, Wellington 6160, New Zealand
    Email: ali.sedgwick@parliament.govt.nz
    www.beehive.govt.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    As far as the ODT saying they stand by their stance taken in the editorial - The point is that the quote was from Mr Cahill, and the article was entirely based on the supposition that the figure was correct. And that would be fine if it were just straight reporting - so-and-so said this.
    But its an editorial , which is an opinion piece and an interpretation. You can't base your editorial on utter nonsense and then pretend your not responsible for your conclusions. The claim that Mr Cahill's figures have been widely quoted in the media is no defense for being absurdly uncritical in an editorial.
    -Face palming - fuck that's crap. I might do that OIA request as I'll have a short day tomorrow should someone point me in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    -Face palming - fuck that's crap. I might do that OIA request as I'll have a short day tomorrow should someone point me in the right direction
    https://fyi.org.nz

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Well the article has been amended now with "Chris Cahills mistake" being fixed, maybe some of the emails to Ms Bennett did get some sort of action after all

Well done to all those who wrote in and called bullshit!
    Sideshow likes this.

That is good news

Police Association president Chris Cahill mistakenly gave an incorrect figure relating to guns in a recent media interview.

Lol, 'mistake' yeah right. And the police wonder why (they commented on it in the select comittee) they are getting increased resistance from license holders.

In fact scratch that, I think they know why, and are actively causing it, while playing dumb to the public.
    gonetropo likes this.

Funny I wrote in not posted but if you see the name Mrs Brown then yep that might be me