Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 22 lr vs 22 mag vs 17HMR

Yeah thought of a Hornet...I am not known for my patience..... like a result and fast.
    Hmm 17 / or 22mag

Down here I need to own the middle ground 125 - 200 mtrs, big farms / stations, fucken big hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Personally I would never shoot a pig of Fallow with a 22WMR at anything like 110+m. But that's my view.
    I would limit shooting larger game with the 22WMR to head shots only.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    I would limit shooting larger game with the 22WMR to head shots only.
    I' don't trust myself to shoot that well
    rossi.45 likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I' don't trust myself to shoot that well
    Same, therefore the animal (for me) needs to be under 50m for a high confidence kill shot on a deer sized animal with a WMR.
    Pengy likes this.

Fulla
    I'd just use the 223. I have a 17hmr it's a bit wind effected. And I reload so don't really know, (223) but I'm sure 223 ammo is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Down here I need to own the middle ground 125 - 200 mtrs, big farms / stations, fucken big hills.
    I'd probably just use the 223 you already have and handload or use cheap bulk ammo.

A 17hmr will do the job but if the ammo isn't significantly cheaper than 223 then why bother. Unless you want another rifle, in which case go for it. If you're shooting a lot you might be able to get better deals on bulk hmr ammo.
    gadgetman likes this.

I think the Hornet would be good for the ranges you list, Not to noisy, but you could suppress and as Northdude said a tin of powder does over 600 rounds so it's economical. It does have the power for deer at sensible ranges with good bullet placement( much better than the 22 Mag) I have had several 22 mags and with normal scopes ( not dial up) I found the effective range to be around 150 yards. I liked the 22 Mag for possum shooting when I was plucking them , you lost far less with the Magnum compared to the standard 22. If you don't mind loading the 22 Hornet would be a good option.

Where I go rabbiting the 223 is to noisy ( suppressed ) I have had 4 HMRs now, had a 17 hornet, problem for me was saving cases!! Happily get out to 150 and shot 4 rabbits at 184, but perfect conditions, last time out, wind drift doesn't worry me enough to move on, can be a challenge on Shiite days. Love my 17 hmr
    Hunt4life and Shearer like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

+1 for .204! Very fast, very flat and explodes very well on impact!

I like the .22 mag over the .17 Hmr, my .22 mag with hornardy 33 g will shoot as well as my CZ 452. About an inch at 100m,
    Personally I think you should look at the one of the hornets. .17 hornet, is a great small game round too 200m perhaps 250 if no wind. Cheap to run, cheaper once you got the gear than 22 mag or Hmr, but only if you not loosing brass,
    I am heading down south, after Easter, bringing a .17 hornet and/or a .17 fireball, if your interested, in trying them out, drop me a Pm, as I will be in the area for a few days,

Isn't there a 17 hornet for sale on here?, been up for ages....

Greg from invers did a nice comparison of 22mag and 17HMR in the wind. Long story cut short, 17HMR handles wind better as its got less surface Rea and going faster than the 22mag. My pick from all he feedback would be just run your 223
    rossi.45 likes this.

I just re read your first post, neither the Hmr or .22 mag are really 150-200 m suitable, the Hmr lacks energy on big rabbits and esp hares and cats, and the .22 mag has plenty of drop at 200m, both are badly affected by wind,
    I think a small sub cal, centerfire is were you should be,

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Don't Winchester make a super dooper 17 rimfire? I've seen one somewhere, maybe America. I think it drives a 20 grain projectile at 3000 plus fps. Should fill the gap you all talk about.
    Yeah it probably would, god only knows what the ammo's worth. I love my 223 but I am a lazy shooter, I reload but only cause I have to ( price ) .
    If I shot my 223 ever second day ( and I could down here ) I would be reloading twice a week... fuck that I got better things to do.
    Sure a 22 mag or 17HMR ammo works out the same price as reloading but at least I am not sitting at the bench reloading, just not my thing, repetition just kills me .

Like the perfect wave, shot, boat , women my search shall go on..........

My vote is to stick with the 223. When I was looking the difference between 22wmr/17hmr and the 223 ammo prices was so little there was no point in the rimfires. It meant the gap between 22lr and 223 didn't exist. The 223 is more versatile, with longer legs and more energy for about the same running cost as the magnum rimfires, and if something a little bigger pops up at a sensible range you are prepared.
    Gerbs and Steve123 like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!