Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

264 winmag vs 6.5 creedmoor

looking at buy a sendero in 264 or a rugerk77 in 6.5 creedmore
    not interested in other cartridges as i have a thing for 6.5mm
    does anyone have these rifles or use these cartridges.
    i know 264 wimag will have a shorter barrel life
    can anyone shed some light on these cartridges and rifles

thanks

I went through the decision making process about a month ago between 260Rem and the Creedmoor and ended up ordering a Savage in the Creedmoor.
    The 264WinMag has about 200fps on the creedmoor in any bullet weight, so if the aim is to shoot the long ranges then really its the only choice between the two, but you will end up with a heavier rifle (long action),and use a fair bit more powder to do it. I chose the Creedmoor because I was getting a short action rifle and with the creedmoor being slightly shorter means I will be able to play around with the 140gn projectiles without worrying about OAL.

I caught my smelly armpits from Cowboy Tone's Avatar

Ejected
    They better update that including the 6.5/06.

Now I better go read it

And the 264WM had some issue, to long since I researched it but have a feeling Norway knows about it.

I've built 1 full custom 264wm and modifiyed a 6.5x55 to 264wm, both worked well. 3250 with 140 a-max out of the custom with a long barrel easy. Only issue I had was after 3 or 4 hot loads the belt on the case would swell and get hard to chamber. Nosler has good brass thats headstamped 264, barrel life as a hunting rifle is not an issue (1500 rounds) Not many around so its something you wont see in the hut....
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

Quote Originally Posted by crzyman View Post
    I've built 1 full custom 264wm and modifiyed a 6.5x55 to 264wm, both worked well. 3250 with 140 a-max out of the custom with a long barrel easy. Only issue I had was after 3 or 4 hot loads the belt on the case would swell and get hard to chamber. Nosler has good brass thats headstamped 264, barrel life as a hunting rifle is not an issue (1500 rounds) Not many around so its something you wont see in the hut....
    I had your Tika conversion at my place for a while. Was babysitting it for Matt. Never fired it. What was the recoil like without the suppressor, and did you lose much velocity with the shorter barrel?

Cheers

Cant remember speeds, it's recoil was fairly sharp if I remember correctly but not as bad as my 7mm rum. You can make up for some speed lose with faster powders but its a fine line.
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money