Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 1 Post By Bugbait
  • 1 Post By Herbmiester

Thread: 300 Black Out options for a Hunting rifle.

300 Black Out options for a Hunting rifle.

Hi all, after using and reloading a mates bolt action 300 Blackout for the last 12 months and nailing a few animals with it I have got to have one. I am keen on a super lightweight Bushpig, S/S bolt action rig with a 12" barrel or shorter legal limit with a lightweight NZ carbon stock and the new 30cal ODL suppressor when they get released.
    I don't want to dismiss the idea of a AR rifles but not sure on the noise of them in the bush rubbing against stuff and cocking.

So want to know what AR rifles other guys are using are like and how they find them solely as a hunting rig?. rattily bolts?, magazines?, hand guards?, stocks? and noisy when cocking them? or even the weight?.

Cheers Tikka

res
    The only noise issue I have with a ar over a bolt gun is cycling the bolt.
    They will catch on more stuff in tight bush but I do think people make to much of this issue.

For value buying within nz I think it would be hard to go past a NEA and swap the free float tube (forend) for a rubber over older houge (spelling?) one.
    Using Tapatalk

I had quite a lite weight ar15 in 6.8spc.

Barrel profile and length is where weight saving is without hpgetting silly.

Carbon hand guard, spear mags stock is lite but not as nice as the ail.

Everything is a compromise, I got sick of feeling like a Rambo every time I pulled it out so have gone back to the old read new 308. Hopefully arrives tomorrow
    veitnamcam likes this.

I love AR's. For pest control AR rifles are great, goats, wallabies, etc. bush gun no, to many moving parts. I know of blokes who have used them for bush hunting as they are very accurate. but so are bolt and single shots but with less drama.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

I have a AR in 300BLK and find it to be really good in the Buller bush, granted the suppressor was noisy on branches etc but I covered it and it's sweet. Cocking the rifle is no doubt louder but if it's done slowly with the forward assist it really makes little noise. The weight is fairly compact with the AR so even if they are a bit heavy the balance seems right. Another thing I like with AR's is that you can dismantle them and fit them in a pack for easy carrying up steep stuff/monkey scrub. A lite weight bolt action would also be mighty fine and a fair bit quieter at the shooter, no carrier noise which seems loud. The last deer that I shot with the 300 stood around after the shot not knowing what happened and then just tipped up, the other two deer in attendance at the time just trotted away after I made myself known.
    I have had other friends with a 300 but their rifles seemed to stabilize the bullet to well and they penciled through, mine seems to tumble and on deer the exit hole is about 2 inches in diameter.
    All in all I really like the AR's and it seems to be the rifle I always pick up to go out with but in the Buller bush there is not to many people so i don't feel to much like Rambo, i have not found the right bandana.
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    Hi all, after using and reloading a mates bolt action 300 Blackout for the last 12 months and nailing a few animals with it I have got to have one. I am keen on a super lightweight Bushpig, S/S bolt action rig with a 12" barrel or shorter legal limit with a lightweight NZ carbon stock and the new 30cal ODL suppressor when they get released.
    I don't want to dismiss the idea of a AR rifles but not sure on the noise of them in the bush rubbing against stuff and cocking.

So want to know what AR rifles other guys are using are like and how they find them solely as a hunting rig?. rattily bolts?, magazines?, hand guards?, stocks? and noisy when cocking them? or even the weight?.

Cheers Tikka
    I completed I nice custom .300 BLK for a customer on a Stiller Tac30 custom bolt action a couple of months ago. Nice little rig with a hunters edge McMillan stock and fast twist 16" TF barrel. Depends what your budget is but that was one sweet little rifle. Some other good lightweight suppressor options out now, but on that one the guy wanted a hardy unit.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

I don't really understand the noise thing. Do people actually wait till a deer is standing in front of them to cycle their rifle?

I don't really understand the noise thing. Do people actually wait till a deer is standing in front of them to cycle their rifle?
    ...it would seem so.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    In a semi if I was hunting with mates I would. If I was hunting alone I would have a round in the chamber. Bolt actions I always have a round in the chamber and either the bolt on half cock or hold it slightly open if it doesn't have one.

I have one of the new Ruger American rifles in 300 AAC BLK on order currently. Seemed like a no Brainer to me with the V- Block bedding (I'll also add some additional stiffening in the stock if required with Nathan F's stock compound) to balance it a bit more to my liking. Short Barrel with a flare out on the barrel to the Suppressor threaded already for a little DPT can and a rail up top already installed.

It is only delivered in RH at the moment but having learn't on this type of action it is still fine for me, it has a variable trigger based on the Savage which I've also used before and can be lightened or hopefully replaced for a after market one if I'm still not happy with where it would get to...

Just my 10c

If you look at a AR go on Youtube and search Honey Badger (just make sure you're searching the right site first!) I was really impressed to see where they'd taken the calibre too and delivered within the specs or out performing but lighter and shorter than a MP5 SD.

Has got a fair bit of attention around the place.

Shut up and Shoot
    I have a 300 BLK on a Frankenstein AR (Made from various bits) and have crawled through bush and jumped over Central Otago rocks with it. I am very happy with it. I do hunt with a loaded chamber and safety on, for many this will be a sticking point and I have no desire to argue it. I will say that the AR safety is proven in field use for over 50 years. The rifle is light and will be lighter when I fit a Carbon FF tube and a alloy or ODL Ti suppressor. Accuracy is sub MOA with Sierra and Hornady 125 grain projectiles and it seems to kill well. The joy of an AR is you can build it yourself, buy the parts you like and set it up your way.
    Grue likes this.

@tikka This one on trademe

300 aac blackout | Trade Me

Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    @tikka This one on trademe

300 aac blackout | Trade Me
    Hi thanks everyone for all your reply's. I wish I had the coin for both a bolt and a AR. When is there going to be a factory all weather stainless 300 blackout without going custom?