Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: .300 WinMag Break vs Suppressor

.300 WinMag Break vs Suppressor

So the decision i'm trying to make is putting a break or a Suppressor on the .300 WinMag ,
    Having a limited knowledge on either was just after some opinions,
    Wanted to shoot anywhere from 10m to 600m with it.
    Also relative cost ?

Are you hunting, shooting steel? what's the purpose of it?

I'd say without knowing what you're using it for one of dean maiseys brakes that turn on/off. When you see an animal at range you'll have time to turn the brake on and if the animal is close it should be off so it wont cream your ears and you won't notice kick anyway cause the animal is close, right

Even for steel I'd still go with a brake, steel doesn't wander off while you put on proper hearing protection.

Sorry should have mentioned that it will be used solely for hunting , cheers for that will give them a search now

Im planning on getting a .300wm and it will be suppressed.
    DanS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post
    Im planning on getting a .300wm and it will be suppressed.
    Can I ask why ? I was leaning towards Suppressor for the noise reduction but was wondering whether it was really worth it as 9/10 I only have time for one shot and 1 animal is all I can carry anyway.
    Also what brand .300 I was looking at the sendero's for accuracy but the weight is kinda pushing me away from them

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    Can I ask why ? I was leaning towards Suppressor for the noise reduction but was wondering whether it was really worth it as 9/10 I only have time for one shot and 1 animal is all I can carry anyway.
    Also what brand .300 I was looking at the sendero's for accuracy but the weight is kinda pushing me away from them

Cheers
    Well I dont have it yet but from my research it cuts down on recoil and muzzle blast as well as sound which will just make it more pleasant to shoot really.
    DanS likes this.

Just suppress it why even bother thinking about an obnoxious muzzle brake as you won't have time to put hearing protection on if you see an animal. Sorry I just hate muzzle brakes I have heard and felt the blast from one of those at a rifle range and it is not nice even with earplugs in.
    steven and Frosty like this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

And Im tossing up between a remington 700 and a browning x-bolt. I dont really like the look of the Tikkas personally.
    DanS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Just suppress it why even bother thinking about an obnoxious muzzle brake as you won't have time to put hearing protection on if you see an animal. Sorry I just hate muzzle brakes I have heard and felt the blast from one of those at a rifle range and it is not nice even with earplugs in.
    Cheers, I have never shot a braked rifle and have a suppressor on my .243 at the moment, the only reason I was considering a break was the recoil reduction and the weight to reduce muzzle jump.
    And the cost for this uni student is alot less haha

So that leads onto the next question, which brand of suppressor, I have heard good things about Hardy but understand a few have been blown off with higher powered rifles

A good muzzle brake reduces it to about a 308.
    I never suppressed mine but if weight is a issue, a brake is the way to go.
    I think brakes have better recoil reduction and I've been told that by someone who did some tests to compare.

I have suppressed my 260 just to protect my ears but my 30-338 win mag is braked. Its recoil is about the same between the 2.

You get what you want to fit the purpose.

Some brakes have ports that face 30 degree forward rather than backwards yet still provide great reduction in recoil.
    DanS likes this.

A good muzzle brake reduces it to about a 308.
    I never suppressed mine but if weight is a issue, a brake is the way to go.
    I think brakes have better recoil reduction and I've been told that by someone who did some tests to compare.

I have suppressed my 260 just to protect my ears but my 30-338 win mag is braked. Its recoil is about the same between the 2.

You get what you want to fit the purpose.

Some brakes have ports that face 30 degree forward rather than backwards yet still provide great reduction in recoil.
    DanS likes this.

If you going down the suppressor road get one of these
    http://www.aseutra.fi/s-series-sl7-suppressor
    If your going to get a brake try either of these.
    http://terminatorproducts.co.nz/
    http://www.gunsmith.co.nz/
    Both have there purpose and really comes down to what "you" want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DanS and JRW87 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    Cheers, I have never shot a braked rifle and have a suppressor on my .243 at the moment, the only reason I was considering a break was the recoil reduction and the weight to reduce muzzle jump.
    And the cost for this uni student is alot less haha

So that leads onto the next question, which brand of suppressor, I have heard good things about Hardy but understand a few have been blown off with higher powered rifles
    Suppressor will also stop muzzle jump the 300 win mag does not boot as hard as what people make them out to be which I found out last weekend when I had a go on one that was running 165grain bullets without suppressor or brake for my first time I actually fired another three rounds just to make sure if what I felt was bugger all.
    DanS likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

For a pure hunting rifle I wouldn't bother with either, just harden up and shoot it.
    veitnamcam, Spook, Shearer and 1 others like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

It really comes down to what you want to achieve & how recoil sensitive you are.

A decent muzzle brake will reduce the 300 win mag down to 243 levels or less depending on projectile weight.

They are nasty antisocial things at the best of times & hearing protection is mandatory.

Don't be fooled by all the anecdotal talk of suppressors reducing heaps of recoil it is a myth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjHEETEVRMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdJv66bDoSU

Suppressors reduce noise down to a nearly manageable level but not to a completely "hearing safe" level definitely better than no suppressor.