Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: .300 WinMag Break vs Suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    For a pure hunting rifle I wouldn't bother with either, just harden up and shoot it.
    Yea will most likely have neither to start with as rifle and scope will probably be 4k min and my budget wont extend much further.

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    Yea will most likely have neither to start with as rifle and scope will probably be 4k min and my budget wont extend much further.
    what rifle are you looking at, if it is a sendero you would be making a mistake as they are heavy as.

You say its a 10m-600m rifle so i suspect it will be you're everyday all purpose rifle and will be carried a fair way. Personally i wouldnt be getting a 300 win mag for what you describe but if you are content on it then i would not put a brake or suppressor on it and just shoot it. Suppressor will be to heavy imo and if you are using it for close range work no chance for hearing protection with the brake.
    Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    It really comes down to what you want to achieve & how recoil sensitive you are.

A decent muzzle brake will reduce the 300 win mag down to 243 levels or less depending on projectile weight.

They are nasty antisocial things at the best of times & hearing protection is mandatory.

Don't be fooled by all the anecdotal talk of suppressors reducing heaps of recoil it is a myth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjHEETEVRMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdJv66bDoSU

Suppressors reduce noise down to a nearly manageable level but not to a completely "hearing safe" level definitely better than no suppressor.
    Interesting test

Everything I have fired(not much in the mag calibres) has felt like it booted significantly less with a can on. Im sure some of it is purely perception due to less noise and muzzle flip.

Could it be that if you are getting a similar. recoil force but at a lower velocity maybe? so it lengthens out the recoil cycle and distributes the force across a longer time period?
    It would be interesting to go frame by frame and check the recoil velocity of the supressed rifle vs the non supressed. Im sure some supressors reduce recoil better than others also

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    what rifle are you looking at, if it is a sendero you would be making a mistake as they are heavy as.

You say its a 10m-600m rifle so i suspect it will be you're everyday all purpose rifle and will be carried a fair way. Personally i wouldnt be getting a 300 win mag for what you describe but if you are content on it then i would not put a brake or suppressor on it and just shoot it. Suppressor will be to heavy imo and if you are using it for close range work no chance for hearing protection with the brake.
    I have my .243 for my bush hunting but was after a tops rifle, so was pretty keen on the .300winmag as I've read alot of good stuff on it out to longer distances but that doesnt mean when you pop your head over a ridge or into a gully there isnt an animal standing there looking at you. I was looking at Senderos but will probably pass as they would be the best part of a 20lb rifle all set up and thats way to heavy for me, so was now looking at Tikkas.
    PerazziSC3 likes this.

I have my .243 for my bush hunting but was after a tops rifle, so was pretty keen on the .300winmag as I've read alot of good stuff on it out to longer distances but that doesnt mean when you pop your head over a ridge or into a gully there isnt an animal standing there looking at you. I was looking at Senderos but will probably pass as they would be the best part of a 20lb rifle all set up and thats way to heavy for me, so was now looking at Tikkas.
    ok in that case considering you already have a smaller rifle i would get a tikka with either a laminate stock or bell and carlson (will add a bit of weight but a lot nicer than factory and will handle recoil better) also but a limbsaver on before you even fire a shot and you are good to go. Sell the unused factory tikka stock for $150 on trademe and buy a bell and carlson for around $500.

I use a tikka 300wsm for a lot of shooting and i have a laminate stock with limbsaver and recoil is very manageable. Don't get me wrong, it certainly kicks but not to bad.
    Shearer likes this.

Yeah I've put some shots through a 300wsm and also 5 rounds threw a 338 and understand recoil will need to be tamed but I hope to think I'll be up to the challenge, I guess its more about putting rounds down range and getting used to it more than anything.

Cheers

Another brand to consider is the thompson ventura, they are very nice rifles to shoot and around the same price as a tikka
    DanS likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Another brand to consider is the thompson ventura, they are very nice rifles to shoot and around the same price as a tikka
    Thanks, I'm still at the planning stage just trying to do rough budgets and work out what will do well. Biggest decision was the caliber and I'm solid on the .300winmag next decision the rifle and then optics

Thanks, I'm still at the planning stage just trying to do rough budgets and work out what will do well. Biggest decision was the caliber and I'm solid on the .300winmag next decision the rifle and then optics
    yes I have also become addicted to shooting belted magnums even though i will never get to own one for a while but one day it will happen.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

optics will be the major, what are you thinking and what budget?

I'm really not sure, saving every dollar at the moment hoping to purchase early March. But my budget for rifle and optics will be 4k-4.3k max i think as will need a decent bipod sling and just little stuff like that which all adds up, do you think this is realistic for accuracy terms ? or am i asking a bit much ?

DanS likes this.

na that budget will be sweet as i will spend it for you.

Tikka in 300 win mag - $1199
    Limbsaver - $75
    Bell and carlson stock - $600
    Sako opti locks - $250 or talleys $105 depends if you want heavy or light
    Harris lightweight bipod - $180
    Sling - $80
    Zeiss HD5 3-15x50mm with rapidZ reticle and lock turrets $1600ish (may be on the high side)
    = $3980 assuming you go with optilocks. Sell the other stock at maybe get the scope for slightly less and you will be at $3,750 with a bit of coin to spend on ammo. Sounds like a bloody good setup to me.
    veitnamcam, Toby, BRADS and 2 others like this.

or buy my 338 with the nightforce and be real badass....
    BRADS and Frosty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    na that budget will be sweet as i will spend it for you.

Tikka in 300 win mag - $1199
    Limbsaver - $75
    Bell and carlson stock - $600
    Sako opti locks - $250 or talleys $105 depends if you want heavy or light
    Harris lightweight bipod - $180
    Sling - $80
    Zeiss HD5 3-15x50mm with rapidZ reticle and lock turrets $1600ish (may be on the high side)
    = $3980 assuming you go with optilocks. Sell the other stock at maybe get the scope for slightly less and you will be at $3,750 with a bit of coin to spend on ammo. Sounds like a bloody good setup to me.
    I have about 25 pieces of paper that look exactly like that with different combos haha, its such a hard decision deciding where to throw your money. but I have to agree with the Tikka , the weight is the biggest factor, I reckon if you bed it properly it will shoot sub 0.75MOA @ 100 with ease. Again limbsaver is a must, and the quality bipod is as well. the scope was the thing I have been humming and haaa'ing over for a long time, need top quality glass firstly but I also want the low magnification range as well as the high end range which is the hard point.

Was looking at mil-dot scope pattern so I don't have to dial wind instead just hold it, thoughts?