Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

6.5 Creedmoor Build

I am looking to build a sporting weight 6.5 Creedmoor and looking for advice.
    Rifle will be used for hunting, including some long range rabbit busting and a little bit of paper punching. Looking to maximise the accuracy potential of the round within the limits of the sporting weight barrel. Plan to have it suppressed.
    I have a Rem 700 action, bottom metal and a carbon fiber stock, brass and dies. Don't have the barrel yet.

Looking for recommendations (preferably based on experience) on the following:
    1. Brand and twist of barrel.
    2. Gunsmith to complete the works, including truing the action, profiling the barrel and stock bedding.

Cheers

8 Twist barrel, Local or US, depends on now much you want to spend, the Bartleins are extremely nice but spendy

Not entirely sure why you need to true the action, much better to get a barrel profiled from the Manufacturer

You will need a decent trigger as well.

I have built several now, its a great cartridge.

Scott Traill at SSRNZ did a very nice job of truing my 700 action and bolt, and installing and profiling a Truflite Ultra Match barrel.
    I didn't get my barrel or bolt fluted, but I have seen this work done on a friends gun, and it's spot on.
    I don't see why you wouldn't get the action trued when the rifle is in pieces. Might only close your groupings 1/16 MOA if you have a good action, and maybe 1/2 MOA if you get a nasty one from the factory. It's a lottery, and this ensures it's as good as it can be.
    Definitely look at a better trigger. I have a Timney in mine, and it seems very adequate.

Have a talk with Grant from true flite. He still has my 6.5 creedmoor reamer actually!
    He built my one a few years back with 1 in 8.5 twist. If you are going to shoot 140's go 8" twist as said above.
    Mine was probably one of the first one in the country, I was making my brass from resized 308 cases then.
    Good luck with the built.

I've just had my 6.5x.284 completed, it was based on a Ruger M77 action I had...

I ended up sending it to Hugh Bradley @ Stager Sports, he has done a fantastic job, complete new barrel, bored 1-8 twist 22" reamed, fitted, bead blasted bedded in the Boyds stock, threaded, the whole job, fantastic price, amazing service, always in touch with me if there was a query before doing something.. I couldn't be happier...

Sighted in a couple of weeks ago, 3 shots and it was spot on at 100m, walked it out to 300, 350, 400, 500m and at 500m I can place shots within 4" of bullseye, mind you heat haze made it difficult to fine tune... I was throwing 123g and 142g Sierra HPBT. Next I'll be trying some 129g Accubond LR.

I'd highly recommend Hugh.