Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 6.5 Grendel Bolt action

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag

6.5 Grendel Bolt action

Hi all. Anyone built or using a 6.5 Grendel bolt action? I've got a suitable action to have a crack and want to know of any experiences out there.
    Planning on 16-18" barrel, suppressed, CF stock etc. Short bush gun for fun

They look quite a cool round. I'd be keen on the Howa mini action version for my lads as a step up from .223 in recoil. Might be worth asking @Norway as he has a bit of experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    They look quite a cool round. I'd be keen on the Howa mini action version for my lads as a step up from .223 in recoil. Might be worth asking @Norway as he has a bit of experience with it.
    Yep, I've already PM'd him about chamber spec's and had a reply, plus he's got his on the 6.5Grendel.com forum. Basically going to be the same rifle.
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

I have built a 30 Grendel repeater on the SA Rem, getting it to feed from the Mag was an interesting endeavour.....

Also built a 6.5 Grendel on an ex 7.62 x 39, that was no problem, except it wasn't as accurate as I'd like......

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I have built a 30 Grendel repeater on the SA Rem, getting it to feed from the Mag was an interesting endeavour.....

Also built a 6.5 Grendel on an ex 7.62 x 39, that was no problem, except it wasn't as accurate as I'd like......
    Hi Greg, yep I saw Alonzo's 30 ARX ..... nice. Did consider that option. Already running a 260 Improved so I'm keen to stay with 6.5 in a smaller case for now. Cheers
    mikee likes this.

I think the mini action howas would be a great little bush weapon. Shame they aren't bringing any in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I think the mini action howas would be a great little bush weapon. Shame they aren't bringing any in.
    Really Is that the deal with the importer? That model is in 7.62x39 also, shame if thats really the case

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Last I heard they were going to, along with the 7.62x39's, but that being said the importers recently had a bit of a drama and the former owner has gone off and started his own company. I've sold a few of the .223 ones, pretty popular but I don't like the position of the mag release; in front of the mag where your hand is likely to bump it.

I've sold a few of the .223 ones, pretty popular but I don't like the position of the mag release; in front of the mag where your hand is likely to bump it.
    Yeah how do firearms manufacturers expect us to take them seriously about anything they produce if they do things like that?

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    Last I heard they were going to, along with the 7.62x39's, but that being said the importers recently had a bit of a drama and the former owner has gone off and started his own company. I've sold a few of the .223 ones, pretty popular but I don't like the position of the mag release; in front of the mag where your hand is likely to bump it.
    Spoke to Cameron's recently, the few grendels have been resold and the 7.62x39s are due about now. The have over 130 coming in, pity they didn't get many grendels.

Might be a nice gun for the wife to graduate to.

@kiwgreg what do you think the accuracy problem was ? Limitation of the donor action (ba or sa) ? Or do you think the 6.5 Grendel might be a fussy chambering ?

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    Ahh cool, was ages I spoke to them. Yeah its a shame about the mag really, wish they offered a drop plate option like its big brother. The stickey out mags look cool but always seem to sit right at the balance point

GWH
    I was really keen on building a little 6.5 Grendel a couple of years back in prep for kids rifle etc.

In the end I decided it made more sense to just download my little mod 7 in 260 Rem with lighter pills and reduced loads, that way when they are ready to step it up, I just load it up again.
    veitnamcam and Mathias like this.

A mate of mine has a Grendel built on a cz 7.62x39. Scott Traill rebarrelled it. It was shooting some really tight groups. I'll ask what he had in it if you're interested. Very nice little rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    A mate of mine has a Grendel built on a cz 7.62x39. Scott Traill rebarrelled it. It was shooting some really tight groups. I'll ask what he had in it if you're interested. Very nice little rifle.
    Yep that would be great. Seems Scott did a small number of these conversions. He did one on a Sako Vixen for a guy in the Wellington region that sold on TM about May last year, went to Nelson, be keen to hear if anyone knows the owner.