Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 7mm mag Finn

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

7mm mag Finn

Has anybody got or had an 85 Finnlight in 7mm mag that they can tell me about.
    Cheers.

What ya doin'?

Had a swap offer for my winchester 308 today, I have to front some cash but not as much as you would think, so would like to know about anybodies experience with one.
    It's a little to much gun for him I suspect.

I would go for it just to re sell it, the problem with a finnlight magnum is that they are only 22" barrels and the 7mm rem mag is one of those calibres like the 25-06 that need 24" barrels to attain maximum performance,ideally for a rem mag 24-26". also as you've pointed out it being too much gun for the guy especially so being the calibre/model configuiration that it is. I have one question that needs answering before i give my suggestion as to what to do, do you own a 223 at the moment?

Finlight= shorter fluted barrel 24"3/8 in 7mm mag
    85= integral dovetails eg one less thing to move/come loose
    IMHO a nice shaped stock that is a good compromise between prone and offhand.
    3 lug bolt head make of it what you will.
    Semi controlled round feed
    4 shot mag in 7mm mag

Nup dont got one but would like one. mines a hunter in .308win

Oh and an actual recoil pad that works unlike the tika
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I would go for it just to re sell it, the problem with a finnlight magnum is that they are only 24 3/8" barrels (06 family and 6.5 have the 22" barrel) and the 7mm rem mag is one of those calibres like the 25-06 that need 24" barrels to attain maximum performance,ideally for a rem mag 24-26". also as you've pointed out it being too much gun for the guy especially so being the calibre/model configuiration that it is. I have one question that needs answering before i give my suggestion as to what to do, do you own a 223 at the moment?
    Fixed your comment for you.

But you are right, it seems the calibre is too much for him. My .270 75 Finnlight has the even shorter 20 7/8" barrel and with hot loads kicks like a mule and isn't a quiet beast blast wise.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I'm not so sure about the 22" barrel. my 6.5 Finn is longer than that from the bolt face to the crown and the Sako web site give 7mm barrel length at 24 and 3/8ths'
    And No I do not own a 223, will a 22 250 do.

Basically I was just asking if people thought the Finn was a good enough platform for the 7mm mag before I pushed him a little,I know he likes my Winchester as he's offered to buy it before.
    There is an offer on the table and he is thinking about it.
    For me, the recoil isn't a worry, but wondered if perhaps anyone had had any problems with that caliber in that rifle re accuracy etc.
    cheers.
    Dino likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Basically I was just asking if people thought the Finn was a good enough platform for the 7mm mag before I pushed him a little,I know he likes my Winchester as he's offered to buy it before.
    There is an offer on the table and he is thinking about it.
    For me, the recoil isn't a worry, but wondered if perhaps anyone had had any problems with that caliber in that rifle re accuracy etc.
    cheers.
    Sakos dont have problems re accuracy in any caliber. (if properly cared for of course)
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yip, your more than likely dead right Vietnamcam.
    Will just wait and see if I've offered him enough ontop.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Ask 7mmSAUM I'm pretty sure has one, and Im pretty sure he shoots it without a brake or suppressor so it may be a perceived problem the other guy has. Andrew sounds pretty happy with his. I believe his is the newer ST version. If you have a use for a bigger gun (and not one for the 308) then it does sound sensible. As much as I dislike Sako's I doubt it would not be an above average shooter.

Caretaker
    Very nice rifles.
    Great to have just touch loads all fit in the magazine, even 180 bergers. So easy to carry and shoot, they fit me like a glove, just like the hunter stocks on the 75's.

I have shot plenty of Sika with it now, had a bit of fun smacking half MOA rocks in zero wind at 1120yrds again last weekend.
    I have also shot it from one skidder site to another in Te Awahonunui in what I thought was zero wind at 1200yrds, and was very pleased to keep 8 shots out of ten under MOA.

No problem doing under MOA groups at that range, with the right ammo.

These are all old pics now

85 ST (soft touch)

Model 75 7mm08, great when reamed to saum

Thanks guys,
    I bought the Winchester because it was in the shop at the same time I was, and surprisingly it shoots well and has a nice walnut stock, however I run a 6.5x55 so caliber wise it's redundant.
    I'll give him a couple of days to mull over my cash then maybe push abit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I would go for it just to re sell it, the problem with a finnlight magnum is that they are only 22" barrels and the 7mm rem mag is one of those calibres like the 25-06 that need 24" barrels to attain maximum performance,ideally for a rem mag 24-26". also as you've pointed out it being too much gun for the guy especially so being the calibre/model configuiration that it is. I have one question that needs answering before i give my suggestion as to what to do, do you own a 223 at the moment?
    I don't know about needing 24" in a Rem Mag, in the one I loaded for we got 3100+ fps with the 162 amax without any problem, I felt it did slightly better then the SAUM in a 22" barrel and do you need any more speed than what we got? most dont shoot further than the energy at that speed

and that rifle was only 6.5ld all up and the recoil was shootable..... be nicer to shoot with a brake though
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    I don't know about needing 24" in a Rem Mag, in the one I loaded for we got 3100+ fps with the 162 amax without any problem, I felt it did slightly better then the SAUM in a 22" barrel and do you need any more speed than what we got? most dont shoot further than the energy at that speed

and that rifle was only 6.5ld all up and the recoil was shootable..... be nicer to shoot with a brake though
    Ok not needing but of Critical importance then..... unless its a 308 or 223/556 or any other calibre that was orginally designed for shorter barrels then thats fine but a rem mag most definetly does, ring up most gunsmiths and they will tell you that. I'd rather take a rem mag over a 308 for about the same amount of recoil any day