Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Is the A2 muzzle device a flash hider or muzzle brake?

Is the A2 muzzle device a flash hider or muzzle brake?

I keep seeing these "A2 muzzle brakes" on TradeMe, and wondering if this part is considered a FH or muzzle brake under NZ law? I was always under the impression they would make a firearm an E category firearm. The absence of a port in the 6 o'clock position would give it muzzle brake qualities sure, however the open top design with the 5 ports do make it a FH as well. However, some compensators/muzzle brakes that I know to be legal also have some flash mitigating qualities e.g. PWS muzzle device, BCM mod 0 muzzle device...among others. Hell, suppressors are perfecly legal and mitigate flash almost entirely.

I thought the term A2 flash hider was pretty cut and dry. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod21246.aspx

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, and hell, I'd hate to see some people without the endorsement get pinged for this if it ain't legal.

Can anyone help me make sense of this legally speaking please? I know common sense often doesn't prevent in the law, but I'm interested in what people's thoughts are on this legally speaking.
    Last edited by Apocalypticaman; 10-03-2017 at 03:29 PM.

All the ones I have seen on trade me are Flash Hiders.
    They call them muzzle brakes to get past TM rules, and to dupe the unknowing.,..
    You can get A2 muzzle brakes, and they look like this:
    Name:  784915.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  147.8 KB

But never seen these on TM...

Oh, and they would cost a lot more than a standard A2 flash hider... the one above was listed for US$82 at Midway...

I suspected as much, thank you for your detailed response.
    They need to make A2 muzzle brakes at a more affordable price point!

The US military calls them 'compensators", so.....

Best flash hider is a suppressor
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

A flash hider only hides the flash from the shooter every body else can see it, the MSSA rules were written by idiots that know squat about firearms, show a flash hider a muzzle brake and a compensator
    to just about anybody and ask them to pick the flash hider bet they can't

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Best flash hider is a suppressor

A suppressor is the only real flash hider the others are so the shooter is not blinded by his own muzzle flash special in dim light

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    A suppressor is the only real flash hider the others are so the shooter is not blinded by his own muzzle flash special in dim light
    Ahhh, a politicians point of view.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Flash hider has horizontal slots, muzzle brakes are generally vertical (or mostly so). The image you posted is a flash hider.

Quote Originally Posted by peril 787b View Post
    Flash hider has horizontal slots, muzzle brakes are generally vertical (or mostly so). The image you posted is a flash hider.
    First statement, generally yes, second statement Wrong!
    It may not be the best muzzle brake by any means, but it would also be an average flash hider.

With regards to the comment about the port (or lack thereof) at 6 0'clock, often the reason the muzzle brakes do not have a port at 6 but have one at 12 is the gas that is expelled upwards helps to keep the muzzle down by applying "thrust" in an upwards direction. If there is a matching port at 6 then the upwards jump of the rifle is not countered. This way the same force that reduces recoil also reduces barrel jump as well.

It's a can of worms you don't want to open. Nobody has specified what is considered a flash hider in the arms act. Is it based on appearance alone, or is it based on funtionality? Because some devices look like flash hiders and do indeed suppress muzzle flash, but aren't flash hiders. Let sleeping dogs lie.
    Tommy and Apocalypticaman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    A flash hider only hides the flash from the shooter every body else can see it, the MSSA rules were written by idiots that know squat about firearms, show a flash hider a muzzle brake and a compensator
    to just about anybody and ask them to pick the flash hider bet they can't
    Flash hiders prevent/reduce the ignition of unburnt powder at the muzzle. A decent flash hider will eliminate nearly all visible flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    It's a can of worms you don't want to open. Nobody has specified what is considered a flash hider in the arms act. Is it based on appearance alone, or is it based on funtionality? Because some devices look like flash hiders and do indeed suppress muzzle flash, but aren't flash hiders. Let sleeping dogs lie.
    You're right - this is probably a can of worms we don't want to open...sorry.

I wouldn't put an A2 on an Acat. Not worth the hassle.
    I have them on my MSSAs and simple thread protector on my Acat AR.
    Kiwi Greg likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.