Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Advice on suppressor for Howa 1500 7mm-08

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Hmmm have above thread on the 308 and no problems with 50 or so rounds, any reason for a different thread? Could do with losing a few inches off he barrel as it doesn't fit in the car wih the supressor on...
    1/2x20 on a 308 barrel is a bit too narrow. If you get the measurement from the deepest cut in the thread to the centre x2 (IE the minor diameter of the deepest part of the cut for the thread) and subtract the bore size for 30cal then the amount of metal between the projectile in the barrel and the outside is very very thin. Minor diameter is 11.14mm- 7.62mm bore size = 3.52mm, divided by two (half each side) = a barrel wall thickness of 1.76mm on each side of the bullet......

I am not an engineer so if my measurements are not 100%exact I apologise, but it does illustrate the point for a larger diameter thread.

Most of the gunsmiths I have spoken too now recommend 9/16ths for a 30cal.

There are two issues around this.
    The first one as Tim mentions is that wall thickness becomes marginal with a half inch thread. This probably isn't a huge safety issue as muzzle exit pressure is way down on peak pressure but it's not clever to run anything close to the edge.

The other issue is a potential accuracy one, especially with button rifled barrels. Swaging the rifling into a barrel leaves (outward directed) stress in the area around the bore and if you cut away too much of the surrounding diameter, there is the definite risk the bore dimensions will grow at the muzzle. A belled outlet will never be helpful for accuracy.

Hmmm ok cheers folks, it's behaving itself at the moment (3shots cloverleafing at 100m with factory ammo) but will bear it in mind if I change it

I have a sonic suppressor on my 7-08, works for me, nothing to compare it to but it sure quietens it down

Thanks for all the advice guys. Think I might get a DPT and give it a go for a while. The modular design sounds pretty nifty to me.

Quote Originally Posted by StagDown View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Think I might get a DPT and give it a go for a while. The modular design sounds pretty nifty to me.
    Makes for easy cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    There are two issues around this.
    The first one as Tim mentions is that wall thickness becomes marginal with a half inch thread. This probably isn't a huge safety issue as muzzle exit pressure is way down on peak pressure but it's not clever to run anything close to the edge.

The other issue is a potential accuracy one, especially with button rifled barrels. Swaging the rifling into a barrel leaves (outward directed) stress in the area around the bore and if you cut away too much of the surrounding diameter, there is the definite risk the bore dimensions will grow at the muzzle. A belled outlet will never be helpful for accuracy.
    So what would be the largest thread that can be cut on a 14,5 mm .308 barrel? Was thinking to get my Savage LWH threaded in the future.
    I also see the Kimber Adirondack muzzle brake .308 Win. comes in 7/16 x 28 from the factory. @6x47
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

I'm a MAE fan, they're Auckland based, they certainly know their stuff, and have a varity of options for you.
    You're best to talk to them, yes they are heavier than many but you get top notch gear, I run them on all my rifles .22 - .300 Magnum and certainly won't be changing anytime soon.
    Worth checking them out, Gary and Geoff are both very knowledgable and will make to suit your rifle and needs.

Cheers C

Quote Originally Posted by Boar Freak View Post
    So what would be the largest thread that can be cut on a 14,5 mm .308 barrel? ...
    My "advisor" says a 13x1 would be probably the best you could do as you need to have some shoulder to pull up on. This thread would be way better than a 1/2-20 as the metric one would take less meat out with the lesser threading depth.