Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Anyone know where I can get one of these?

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I don't understand why they are breaking, I haven't seen one break or broken one.
    I've got no idea either mate. I've heard (second hand) of one other guy breaking his and he, 'allegedly' had exactly the same modification done to his rifle bolt, AND by the same gunsmith, only (rumor has it) he got about two years out of his!

"Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

Quote Originally Posted by Remington 5R .300 Win Mag View Post
    I've got no idea either mate. I've heard (second hand) of one other guy breaking his and he, 'allegedly' had exactly the same modification done to his rifle bolt, AND by the same gunsmith, only (rumor has it) he got about two years out of his!

What cartridge is it ?

Is it hard to extract ?

It looks like the extractor metal is possibly too hard/brittle ?

Have you talked to the Gunsmith about it ?

What cartridge is it ?

Is it hard to extract ?

It looks like the extractor metal is possibly too hard/brittle ?

Have you talked to the Gunsmith about it ?
    1/ .300 RUM, Brand New Norma Brass

2/ No, simply point the muzzle skyward!

3/ Maybe?

4/ No, I'm not allowed access to this, so called "gun smith", never have been, never will have. Gotta go through a satellite 'third party', who know's nothing either!

MSL
    You buying another extractor is not the solution, why should you have a prick of a time

3/ Maybe?

4/ No, I'm not allowed access to this, so called "gun smith", never have been, never will have. Gotta go through a satellite 'third party', who know's nothing either!
    If its set up properly, is easy to extract, the extractor should be under no stress & shouldn't ever break.

Something is wrong, replacing the extractor isn't the answer.

I've never heard of fired casings falling via gravity alone. Is that a loose chamber or what? Might explain the extractor claw breaking

Have you got any pics of your brass when you've lost a claw?

Do they break on loading going over the rim? or on unload pulling them out, and do you have a pic of the bolt with a good extractor. Also try fitting a case in the bolt head to see where the extractor claw sits.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    You buying another extractor is not the solution, why should you have a prick of a time
    Thanks mate, I agree.

If its set up properly, is easy to extract, the extractor should be under no stress & shouldn't ever break.

Something is wrong, replacing the extractor isn't the answer.
    Yeah, I fully Agree!

3/ Maybe?

I'm curious who is the so called gunsmith?? And how come you can't speak to them directly?

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    I've never heard of fired casings falling via gravity alone. Is that a loose chamber or what? Might explain the extractor claw breaking

Have you got any pics of your brass when you've lost a claw?
    I don't think the chamber's loose.

When I got home, the first time, I was about to stick a cleaning rod down the barrel to knock out the fired case, as I thought it must've been a hot load, and that, that caused the case to jam in the chamber and the claw simply broke trying to pull the case out (despite it being the minimum load I had for my ladder test, and the chronograph not indicating an exceptionally high velocity!) I raised the muzzle to the sky and tinkle tinkle tinkle, the empty case simply fell out on it's own!

Here's a photo of the first case that I fired when the claw broke!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Do they break on loading going over the rim? or on unload pulling them out, and do you have a pic of the bolt with a good extractor. Also try fitting a case in the bolt head to see where the extractor claw sits.
    No, they don't break going over the rim during loading, or on unload pulling them out! This phenomenon only happens once I squeeze the trigger!

No, I don't have a pic of the bolt with a good extractor, and I have tried fitting a case in the bolt head to see where the extractor claw sits, and there's next to no play between the face of the bolt and the extractor claw.

On the failure of the second claw I made sure the claw had grabbed the rim as I tried extracting the cartridge 'live', prior to firing, and it seemed to be pulling it out of the chamber just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    I'm curious who is the so called gunsmith?? And how come you can't speak to them directly?
    I went through a reasonably new company who uses this particular 'smith' to do the building work on their guns. 'ALL' correspondence had to be done through this satellite person as the gunsmith proper felt too important to field calls, texts, or correspond with the customer directly!

At this stage I'm not prepared to release the identity of the smith, or the name of the company I used to have the rifle built, as negotiations are still ongoing, however, I do expect that may change sometime in the future!

I went through a reasonably new company who uses this particular 'smith' to do the building work on their guns. 'ALL' correspondence had to be done through this satellite person as the gunsmith proper felt too important to field calls, texts, or correspond with the customer directly!

At this stage I'm not prepared to release the identity of the smith, or the name of the company I used to have the rifle built, as negotiations are still ongoing, however, I do expect that may change sometime in the future!
    Please let all of us know, no matter the outcome.

There has been way to much "precious protection" in the past over this sort of thing because Guys didn't want to "upset" people or "jeopardise" their means of refund/compensation....

All this does is allow more people to be put in the same position they find themselves in......good times....not...

The rifle is faulty, the "gunsmith" should fix it or at least be given the opportunity to fix it, end of story, its not up to you to fix it....

Please let all of us know, no matter the outcome.

There has been way to much "precious protection" in the past over this sort of thing because Guys didn't want to "upset" people or "jeopardise" their means of refund/compensation....

All this does is allow more people to be put in the same position they find themselves in......good times....not...

The rifle is faulty, the "gunsmith" should fix it or at least be given the opportunity to fix it, end of story, its not up to you to fix it....
    Actually since there is a 3rd person involved ( the one who is the go between ) I suspect you will have a claim under the Consumer Gurantees Act (should not come to that)but its his job as the "retailer" to sort it no matter what the gunsmith actually says/does.

Personally If I had spent that much and got that result there would be some Major shit raining on someone

for that sort of money I would also expect all the bullets to go thru one hole by themselves
    SlimySquirrel likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.