Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By res
  • 1 Post By gimp

Thread: AR optics : varibble low power or ACOG / RMR?

AR optics : varible low power 1-4x / 1-6x or ACOG / RMR?

Hey guys,

Currently running a BCM Recce 16 with a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ in a ADM Scout mount.

Name:  IMG_0419.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  1.13 MB

It works great. The glass is good and the illuminated reticle is awesome on 1x for both eyes open shooting like an aimpoint.

The only gripes I have is that he reticle is busy and is not a BDC, also being SFP you have to know different hold offs for the range. I also find 4x is not quite enough for the longer shots.

I would love to go to a 1-6x Razor but the weight ( and price) puts me off.

Would I be better going to a Vortex Strike eagle with the BDC or a BROWE / TA01 ACOG with a red dot sight mounted on the boss?

Primary use is for Roo's, Goats and deer.

I know a lot of you have tried most of the above and some are running strike eagles so after your sage advice.

Cheers

Vortex TMCQ reticle

Name:  sub_pst_s_1-4x24_tmcq_moa-t.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  89.9 KB

Vortex Strike Eagle Reticle

Name:  sub_strike-eagle_1-6x24_ar-bdc_moa-t.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  117.5 KB

Vortex JM-1 BDC reticle

Name:  sub_rzr-g2_s_1-6x24_jm-1_moa.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  72.8 KB

Browe with J Dot

Name:  Web4SIG516.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  57.3 KB

TA01 ACOG with RMR

Name:  191295.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  230.2 KB
    Last edited by 300_BLK; 13-06-2016 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Spelling

How far / close are your shots?
    I have a Strike Eagle 1-6 which I like heaps but I always prefer a redot for close up shots.
    Trying to mount a red dot and scope at the same time you are better to have the red dot on a 45 deg mount, low down so you can still plant your cheek against the stock.

Have shot out to 450m and as close as the muzzle.

Red dots are good to 50m for the thick stuff in a hurry. I prefer above the sight or at 90 degrees for ease of adjustments.

Recoil isn't an issue in 5.56

Where in the country are you?

res
    A good 1-6/8 power optic is very good. In the real hunting world I have found running two optics a pain esp as you normally know Aprox what range your likely to encounter game, I err on the close side as if you need to zoom you normally have time.

If you do go two optics I recommend the rds on a 45- over the main optic on a ar gets very far above the bore so accurate shooting is hard, I'm sure it's better if you just want hits on a man at across the room ranges it's probably ok but for good 3gun score or hunting the errors mount up fast.
    It is harder to hold a rifle at the ready on a 45 that normally and I suspect this is a large part of why army's top mount there rds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

@Savage1 I'm on the dark continent.
    @res they do that for rapid alignment or instinctive shooting as you bring the rifle up from the hip / bicep / low ready. That Roo in the photo was shot at the muzzle, dont really need to shoulder the rifle at that range but a RDS would have been good. I think a 1-6x has it over the ACOG / RDS combo but choices are limited. If you look at the reticles above you will notice the JM-1 BDC drop values are incorporated into the Strike Eagle reticle.

Razor Gen II would be mint but 2.5K and it weights 1.5lbs roughly....

How much are second hand ACOG's these days?

I know @gimp and @Dr. Watson have tried nearly everything...Elcan / Spectre / Aimpoint etc

res
    The best I have used as a stand alone scoop with true 1x is my us optics 1-8x closely followed by z6 1-6.

A gen 1 z6i 1-6 second hand would probably cost you the same as a second hand acog, I have sold both acogs and z6 for $1700-1900 but you probably could find a well used acog for less.

The razor leaves me dead inside for a hunting rifle due to the weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dr. Watson and 300_BLK like this.
    Using Tapatalk

ACOGs are bad, dual optics are dumb, 1-6 or 1-8 is the way to go for sure

I very much like the VX6 1-6 multigun I have, the only thing is that I'd like it to have a brighter reticle (but it's as bright as the PST you have) and FFP and an exposed elevation turret but oh well

300_BLK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    @Savage1 I'm on the dark continent.
    @res they do that for rapid alignment or instinctive shooting as you bring the rifle up from the hip / bicep / low ready. That Roo in the photo was shot at the muzzle, dont really need to shoulder the rifle at that range but a RDS would have been good. I think a 1-6x has it over the ACOG / RDS combo but choices are limited. If you look at the reticles above you will notice the JM-1 BDC drop values are incorporated into the Strike Eagle reticle.

Razor Gen II would be mint but 2.5K and it weights 1.5lbs roughly....

How much are second hand ACOG's these days?

I know @gimp and @Dr. Watson have tried nearly everything...Elcan / Spectre / Aimpoint etc
    Dark continent as in Australia? I'm at the top of the North if you want a turn with a Strike Eagle. I've been using a Strike Eagle for a while now, not overly impressed but I've very little experience in AR optics. The 1X on the scope seems to be more like 0.7X, I have to wind up ti 1.5x before it's OK to keep both eyes open. Illumination isn't bright enough. To be fair I've never even bothered to try and get a good zero with it.

Thanks @Savage1 I'm a bit further afield.

Might look at a strike eagle when I can get my hands on one, Leupold Multi-guns look good also..

Decisions...