Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ar15 in 22lr configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by NZShoota View Post
    Unfortunately the 75 A-Max loaded to mag length in the AR isn't a good mix due to the ogive being inside the case. You will have to either single load (drop them throug the ejection port on the mag follower) or run the Sierra 77 SMK or Hornady 75gr BTHP projectiles if wanting to run them through the mag. I think AR mags are around 2.250" internally.
    Hmm. Ok, thanks for that. I think I will stay with what I currently have then. And maybe down the track look at an AR again. In the mean time I might be able to have a play on someone's

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

As mentioned above. Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 is the way to go. Has a polymer upper and doesn't fit any other ar15 parts but for $1000 is cheaper than a .22 upper and they shoot like a demon

In my experiance .22 conversion kits are practically accurate. If you like shooting bug hole groups you will be sorely disappointed. But if you can get past that it is capable of taking out critters out to 100m in a pinch. Years ago I witnessed a friend shooting a 6" steel plate at 150m with one, every single round hit. So that gives you an idea of what their practical accuracy can be.

Regarding A max, no it's not worth the trouble. However, the 77gr TMK is designed to run in an AR, and the published G1 BC isn't far off the A max if I recall.
    Tommy likes this.

Ejected
    69g smk works well in my ar with 1:8 twist

res
    I have had a lot of luck wit 77gn smk's in ar's and the the tmk's just sound even better. some mags have more space in them than others-avoide plastic mags if your trying to push past the 2.25" design limit
    Using Tapatalk

I found the Magpul E mags and IWI polymer mags to be the best if you are pushing overall length. The latter actually has slots cut into the front of it for that purpose. There are videos of guys cutting a slot into the front of a metal mag so they can safely run the 75gr A max. Supposedly works but will only reliably feed 5 rounds.

I reckon it'd be cool if someone made a dedicated AR15 .22 lower like the 9mm lowers, to take something like Ruger MkX mags or whatever. The big .223-sized .22 mags with the tiny little functional insert sort of ruin .22 ARs for me in a weird picky way
    Gerbs and Tommy like this.

CMMG .22lr upper with 15 round .22 magazine on a Spikes A-Cat lower.

Name:  IMG_2816.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  826.2 KB
    blake, TimK and Pineapple like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.