Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: AR15 pending rule changes?

I think you will see affordable E-Cat safes in the near future once importers understand how the police will implement the new MSSA ammendments. Topmaq import an affordable 10 gun safe at the moment.

Latest rumors I've heard is they were meant to start letting stuff be known March/April, but has been put off till June because they've realized the amendment could cause them dramas again, and further law making might be required to make it work. I can't confirm the validity of that though - changes might come out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by G.K View Post
    Why did you want your guns? Bit of a strange question to ask unless you are a AR basher!
    I asked a Q in order to understand. Not an AR basher as such, sort of any semi makes me wonder....I can see some ppl have a real use for one just for most NZ hunters? just wondering on the reasons.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    I asked a Q in order to understand. Not an AR basher as such, sort of any semi makes me wonder....I can see some ppl have a real use for one just for most NZ hunters? just wondering on the reasons.

regards
    They're good hunting rifles, not everybody is a hunter either.

Easiest answer is take one rabbit shooting where's there's rabbits galore for a start . Goat shooting, fallow deer , red deer if you re good enough shot . Lightweight super accurate ergonomic to use . You do need to try one before you can say not for me cos try a good one and you could be saying wow that's light, wow that's nice to carry and wow that's my most accurate gun in the safe Mind you if you do ALL your hunting for Reds and bigger animals no pest control or target shooting you may already have the tool that suits you for that
    If you really want to know why folks like them for safe shooting not wanly bollocks Rambo shite try one .

Cheers

G.K
    Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post

regards
    Hahaha that's a politician answer to a question answering a question with another question, I asked why you chose your guns? It's all a individual preffrance on what we shoot. I prefer semi's but I don't slag anyone's choice to shoot bolt actions that there choice and I don't have any right to judge them on it. And at the end of the day they all have a trigger and go bang

Our AO said the changes were being put off till June/July. She also said that if you already have a newly classed MSSA the fee for getting an E will be waived but the justification for needing one will be the same. Not sure how accurate this is though.

ARs are great for pest control and plinking, to loud to chamber a load for any type of stalking with others though. Nice to shoot but definitely attract a few muppets which is why having them go E will probably be a good thing. I much prefer a semi for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by G.K View Post
    Hahaha that's a politician answer to a question answering a question with another question, I asked why you chose your guns? It's all a individual preffrance on what we shoot. I prefer semi's but I don't slag anyone's choice to shoot bolt actions that there choice and I don't have any right to judge them on it. And at the end of the day they all have a trigger and go bang
    On the other hand steven wasn't bagging the AR's either. Seemed like a genuine question to me. Like why did you choose a T3 over a 700. I had a play with an AR and was very impressed with it. Unlikely to buy one as I'm too much of a tight wad and tend to make every shot count. I bought a semi 22lr for rabbits but have hardly used it preferring the bolt action even though the semi is more accurate, and we have shot some serious numbers of rabbits.

Just quietly steven almost sounds like he could be finding reasons to decide if it could be a valid reason for him too.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    ARs are great for pest control and plinking, to loud to chamber a load for any type of stalking with others though. Nice to shoot but definitely attract a few muppets which is why having them go E will probably be a good thing. I much prefer a semi for hunting.
    You can chamber a round pretty quietly, ride the charging handle gently and finish with your FA.

It is probably still also still a reasonable chance that ARs with thumbhole stocks will be able to stay as A cat, but only time will tell... Seems a bit counter-productive to suddenly have a flood of people who can legally add big magazines to their rifles, but logic doesn't always come into things.

Would like to build a dedicated .22AR for plinking/teaching new shooters etc, but will have to see how things play out in the next few months. Not much point building something for the kids to use if it is to suddenly become e-cat.
    steven likes this.

They're still way to loud to load a round quietly when you are onto a deer in the bush. Just use the safety.

It hurts my brain to think of them changing rules over a handle, but those that follow the issue closely know it's just a bull shit cover story for an ulterior motive.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    They're still way to loud to load a round quietly when you are onto a deer in the bush. Just use the safety.

It hurts my brain to think of them changing rules over a handle, but those that follow the issue closely know it's just a bull shit cover story for an ulterior motive.
    Yep, I go for the safety too, but a lot of people are a bit leery of that option.

Agree entirely on the BS motives. Strange days....

Need? Come on. No-one 'needs' to hunt, if you want to get down to asking why anyone 'needs' any type of firearm. Who decided that murdering poor innocent animals is a more legitimate use of a gun than collecting, target shooting, etc?
    Savage1 and FletchNZ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Need? Come on. No-one 'needs' to hunt, if you want to get down to asking why anyone 'needs' any type of firearm. Who decided that murdering poor innocent animals is a more legitimate use of a gun than collecting, target shooting, etc?
    I need to hunt.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Bill999 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

You don't "need" to shoot the poor innocent paper either. Be a lot better if all firearms users got along.
    dogmatix likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You don't "need" to shoot the poor innocent paper either. Be a lot better if all firearms users got along.
    That's my point, there are all these people saying "well you shouldn't be allowed to own a semi auto because I don't think anyone needs one for hunting" as if "need" means a damn thing, and as if hunting is somehow so much more legitimate than "I want one and as a responsible licensed person there's no reason I shouldn't be allowed one to do whatever the hell I want with"