Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: ar15 trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I Email Dan, tell him the trace# & what it is, its intended use (which is always A-cat)
    because the arms office want a complete A-cat rifle before they will register it as a E-cat (Manukau)
    and a quick pic of my FAL,
    is all that is needed, I am a fit and proper person after all,
    Cheers mate. I'm just interested to know what everyone's experiences are like that's all. Like I mentioned earlier, I email my AO (North Shore) prior to any A-cat import as Dan some times asks me to get my AO to verify if imported item is for A-cat use. Obviously E-cat is different.

northdude
    got a 2 stage schmeisser and fitted it tonight feels a lot lighter than the standard nea one and no creep the only thing that was a little bit arseholy was the detent springs for the safety and take down pin would be easy if it was an e cat but got it in the end with a bit of inginuity
    Carpe Diem likes this.

OK so I ordered an RRA 2 stage trigger from Brownells which has been sent. Didnt think about permits so I just ordered it.
    I looked online on the police website and it seems to indicate I dont need a permit as its not a complete lower action.
    I phoned my local AO and they said I do. WTF????

Should I bother going through the process? Seems a bit late now anyway.
    Or should it be OK?
    Anyone run into problems bringing in triggers?

You could ask your AO to issue one if you're worried. Chances are Customs will just ask if it's for an A cat.

Cheers for that. I'll just cross my fingers.

northdude
    Sometimes buying in nz has its advantages

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    OK so I ordered an RRA 2 stage trigger from Brownells which has been sent. Didnt think about permits so I just ordered it.
    I looked online on the police website and it seems to indicate I dont need a permit as its not a complete lower action.
    I phoned my local AO and they said I do. WTF????

Should I bother going through the process? Seems a bit late now anyway.
    Or should it be OK?
    Anyone run into problems bringing in triggers?
    If it is for an 'A' Category AR, it does not require an import permit.
    "A permit is not required for parts of a sporting rifle or shotgun other than the complete upper action (upper and/or lower receiver for AR/AK types)."
    Reference: NZ Police Arms Forms Webpage

Just email the Customs Arms Officer at Arms.Officer@customs.govt.nz and inform them it is for an 'A' Category firearm, and as such does not require an import permit. Give them the tracking number for reference. They may want a copy of your FAL, so just include it anyway. Minimises issues.

Awesome. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Awesome. Cheers
    keep an eye on on NZpost tracking (once brownells supply you with a tracking #), you will know if its been held,

you can email Dan (customs AO) in advance and let him know exactly what the part is and state its for A-cat use,
    and it will be released the same day it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by grunzter View Post
    A mate of mine is next door neighbours with the owner of Hiperfire.
    When I was there a couple of weeks ago, he gave me a Tee shirt, cap & 24C trigger!!! ...its now in my lightweight build!
    You lucky bugger. I have just purchased one from Ken. Cant wait to try it out. The owner of Hyperfire lives in NZ?!

BTW them I have found that most of the light triggers have a light hammer strike. So if you shoot Russian or Chi-com ammo it may not be 100% reliable.

I have a 7.62x39 AR and it would not fire wollf, barnal or norinco with either a timmny or elfmann triggers. The milspec std works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    You lucky bugger. I have just purchased one from Ken. Cant wait to try it out. The owner of Hyperfire lives in NZ?!

BTW them I have found that most of the light triggers have a light hammer strike. So if you shoot Russian or Chi-com ammo it may not be 100% reliable.

I have a 7.62x39 AR and it would not fire wollf, barnal or norinco with either a timmny or elfmann triggers. The milspec std works fine.
    Nah, not NZ. My friend lives just on the northern outskirts of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
    The 24C came with 3 sets of springs for different pull weights, and you could also increase the hammer force when used with the lightest pull weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    keep an eye on on NZpost tracking (once brownells supply you with a tracking #), you will know if its been held,

you can email Dan (customs AO) in advance and let him know exactly what the part is and state its for A-cat use,
    and it will be released the same day it arrives.
    +1

Dan is really good to deal with.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post

Yes, one of the ways to get a light trigger is to use a light hammer spring. Hiperfire have a better rep than most and as grunzter says they come with a range of springs so you can tune to suit.

My trigger turned up today. Yippee. Definitely feels better than the old one. Just need to get out and shoot it.