Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kimjon

Thread: B cat licence?

B cat licence?

How do i go to obtain my B cat licence?
    very interested in doing some pistol shooting but i do not know the steps to take to obtain a B cat licence to buy one

-Join a pistol club
    -Have "A" license
    -Be a member and participate in shoots regularly for 6 months at least (minimum 12 club events attended in that 6 months)
    -Apply and comply with the application requirements

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    First step is to find and join your nearest pistol club and do your probation (compulsory attendance and shoots). This may help.Pistol NZ
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

how can i participate in shoots without a pistol to start with? im guessing they provide one under strict vision?

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Most, if not all, clubs have club guns. Getting your B is a slow process so be prepared to be patient and tolerant of the system. They way the club "sees" you is paramount to them sponsoring your application.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

As above.

I had mine (B-cat) for about 6 years, but the commitment is huge having to participate and go to the club days a minimum of 12 times per year. It doesn't sound like much, but esentually it takes out 1 in every 4 weekends.

Its a lot of fun to start with, but I soon got bored after a couple of years. I'm not an overly competitive person, so competing meant nothing to me personally. I have a general interest in firearms and that's what made me keep up the visits to maintain my B-cat license, but in the end I didn't think it was worth it for me, so I sold the pistols and serenaded the endorsement.

Now I spend that time with family and/or hunting and I feel I'm better off for it. But each to their own eh.

kj
    mucko likes this.

Check out your nearest club or the club that shoots the type of discipline you are keen on. Go and meet them and intro yourself. The club will explain the process but basically you need to join a club, pass your probation period of 12 shoots within 6 months and apply for your endorsement.

Most clubs seem to have vastly different training requirements. With some using rimfire as the preferred training pistols and others letting you train on all sorts of pistols. Find a club that suits you and if possible has midweek shoots etc in case your a shift worker.

Once you have your endorsement then you do need to commit to 12 club shoots or activities per year. This can be range maintenance, club meetings, or competitions/shoots.

Clubs cater for .22 Olympic match shooting or ISSF, NRA action, cowboy action, IPSC or practical and Service Match. I love IPSC and Service but there are so many other styles to give a go as well. Opps I forgot, but there is also Black Powder and long range stuff like Metallic Silhouette.

It is a fun sport and very addictive if the bug bites you. Check out youtube for IPSC and NRA Action or Service Pistol etc. Be keen to help out at the club by scoring and patching etc and your 6 month probation will fly by.

Cheers.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by wattee View Post
    how can i participate in shoots without a pistol to start with? im guessing they provide one under strict vision?
    You'll generally start with a .22 on paper and yes under supervision with RO standing next to you. Some clubs will expect you to bring ammo if you already have a FAL. If you can shoot, and can progress onto another calibre, eg: 9mm, same deal. You can use a club gun, for Action and IPSC shoot under tyro, where the pistol is loaded and decocked (safety only for Action) holding the pistol at 45 degrees in front of you.

Bear in mind getting a B isn't automatic, if you can't/won't demonstrate common sense, safety and the ability to hit the target, your journey will end when the club will stop you. And you won't get a B at all. But it's not that hard, just takes time, effort on your part and willingness to learn

Where abouts are you based ?

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    minimum of 12 times per year. It doesn't sound like much, but esentually it takes out 1 in every 4 weekends.
    i guess it may depend on where you are, but i often see ppl turn up, have their shoot and are away within 20-30 mins, (dependent on the turn out for the day of course) add travel time to that, and you are still under an hour, 12 times a year. not at all hard to achieve if you keen. but as i said, will depend on the area. waiting time at range, travel time etc. but 12 hours a year isnt what i would call buggering 1 weekend out of every 4. but that is one extreme to the other.

the biggest reason i hear ppl give it up, or dont bother starting, is the time requirement.

Yep. I would apply but i get one weekend a month to go hunting or do something as a family.
    I want to shoot pistols but not enough to give up hunting.
    Maybe when the kids are grown up and have no interest in doing stuff with the old man I will get there.
    At the moment its just impossible to attend enough shoots to even apply.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I had a rock solid "No pistols or Rattle Guns" policy.....

I have shattered the no rattle guns bit, just have to hang onto the no pistols bit.......for as long as I can.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I had a rock solid "No pistols or Rattle Guns" policy.....

I have shattered the no rattle guns bit, just have to hang onto the no pistols bit.......for as long as I can.....
    You know you need a .45, you just know you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

what part of the country you in