Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By stug
  • 2 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By quentin
  • 1 Post By deepsouthaussie
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Husky1600
  • 1 Post By Robojaz

Thread: BEDDING!

BEDDING!

Need some help, I want to bed my rifle and am wondering if I shall do it myself or send it somewhere else, what you guys suggest, it will be my first time.

Cheers.

Mac

It is not too difficult, I was a bit nervous doing my first one, but I've done about 145 rifles now so it is a bit easier. What rifle are you doing? If you are near christchurch you are welcome to come out and I'll help you do it. Otherwise there are heaps of videos on Youtube about how to do it.
    kimjon, Beaker and PERRISCICABA like this.

I've got a couple of old eiderdowns from my mother in laws place?
    BRADS and Rebeltrousers like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hey @stug, thank you heaps for the offer but I am in Queenstown area. I have look couple videos in the YouTube but sometimes I feel it is "missing" something. Well, I will think about and put it to my next pay day wish list.
    The rifle I am/will do is my CZ .22 on a Boyds stock, but, if it works I will do my friend rifle too.

Cheers guys!

Mac

Three rules I (now) follow.
    1. Strip the action of trigger etc, and fill all holes in the action with putty, tape, plasticine etc.
    2. Wax, and wax again just to be sure, anything that will come in contact with the bedding compound.
    3. Don't fill up past the 1/2 way point of the action.

If you don't add enough compound to do a perfect job the first go, you can add more later. Trying to free an epoxied in action because you put in too much is a whole different story!
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Buy a brownells kit, the instructions are quite good did my first two with one then another with devcon. If you have an old 22 or something to practice on first that can get rid of any nerves.

Nathan Foster's Youtube clips seem the best to me.. I've been to scared to try myself but have seriously contimplated it. Be over prepared for the job and give yourself plenty of time so your ready for it once your compund is mixed and in there's no turning back!.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Another guideline is the only vertical surface in contact with the bedding is the back of the recoil lug. I put a single layer of tape on all other vertical surfaces.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Nathan Fosters product, instructions, and instructional video are excellent, you cant go wrong. E mail him and you can have the product with all that is required in 2 days.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Nathan Fosters product, instructions, and instructional video are excellent, you cant go wrong. E mail him and you can have the product with all that is required in 2 days.
    +1 on Terminal Ballistics instructions. Did my first one a year or so ago, followed Nathans tutorials, all went off without a hitch. Have now done 7 rifles. Good product too, easier to use than the Brownells Acraglas.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.