Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Bolt Problems

Bolt Problems

Hey guys I have a Mossberg ATR 100 chambered in .243 around 5 years old with only max 60 rounds through it, recently something has happened to it and nothing comes to memory as to knocks or any thing on my end. When I half cock it, rifle has bolt phase of open, one click and fully closed, so when it is on one click/half cocked and I pull the trigger the bolt closes itself and the pin goes off. I fortunately have not had this happen with a live round in the spout. Found this occurring when I was cleaning the rifle. There is no rust on the bolt and it has always been regularly cleaned. Also there is nothing interfering with the action or the bedding. So basically am after any information as to why this is occurring. So just in summary when I have the bolt half cocked and pull the trigger 4/5 times the bolt slams shut and the pin goes off. Does not occur when safety is on. Also finally the bolt is solid when it is half cocked i.e. it locks strongly into place and does not move unwillingly.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Sorry, but why are you using a half cock on a rifle that is not a .303?
    Use the safety man, that is what it is for and none of these issues occur when you do.
    veitnamcam, Bryan, Savage1 and 2 others like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    Hey guys I have a Mossberg ATR 100 chambered in .243 around 5 years old with only max 60 rounds through it, recently something has happened to it and nothing comes to memory as to knocks or any thing on my end. When I half cock it, rifle has bolt phase of open, one click and fully closed, so when it is on one click/half cocked and I pull the trigger the bolt closes itself and the pin goes off. I fortunately have not had this happen with a live round in the spout. Found this occurring when I was cleaning the rifle. There is no rust on the bolt and it has always been regularly cleaned. Also there is nothing interfering with the action or the bedding. So basically am after any information as to why this is occurring. So just in summary when I have the bolt half cocked and pull the trigger 4/5 times the bolt slams shut and the pin goes off. Does not occur when safety is on. Also finally the bolt is solid when it is half cocked i.e. it locks strongly into place and does not move unwillingly.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    That is perfectly normal on any bolt action. When the bolt handle is up in the half-bolt (not half-cocked as the striker is already at full cock) position, the striker is resting on the sear and the cam surface of the striker is resting on the bolt cam thus it sits there quite nicely. The moment you pull the trigger the sear drops (as it is designed to do) and the striker moves forward under spring pressure, camming the bolt closed. This will NOT fire a round as the firing pin energy is spent trying to close the bolt. You will have to raise and lower the bolt handle to recock the gun before you can fire it. The half-bolt position is a good way to carry your rifle in the final stages of a stalk when you can close the bolt silently as you are in a position to take the shot. Keep your finger outside the trigger guard while carrying like this and keep control of the bolt handle between your finger and thumb at all times. This prevents the bolt closing, and also prevents it falling open and losing the round when you might need it.
    DanS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Sorry, but why are you using a half cock on a rifle that is not a .303?
    Use the safety man, that is what it is for and none of these issues occur when you do.
    Understand what your saying mate but its the way I have always hunted, way I was brought up and it is the way I prefer to hold a rifle and hunt. That being said I'm sure your way would be more safe and less dangerous in case of falls trips etc but using the safety wont fix the problem.

Yep, nothing wrong with it, it was just never meant to be used like that.
    Bryan and Gibo like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    That is perfectly normal on any bolt action. When the bolt handle is up in the half-bolt (not half-cocked as the striker is already at full cock) position, the striker is resting on the sear and the cam surface of the striker is resting on the bolt cam thus it sits there quite nicely. The moment you pull the trigger the sear drops (as it is designed to do) and the striker moves forward under spring pressure, camming the bolt closed. This will NOT fire a round as the firing pin energy is spent trying to close the bolt. You will have to raise and lower the bolt handle to recock the gun before you can fire it. The half-bolt position is a good way to carry your rifle in the final stages of a stalk when you can close the bolt silently as you are in a position to take the shot. Keep your finger outside the trigger guard while carrying like this and keep control of the bolt handle between your finger and thumb at all times. This prevents the bolt closing, and also prevents it falling open and losing the round when you might need it.
    Thanks alot. Still learning these things. Gun mechanics is not something I have looked into bar the basics.

It was fine for grand dad on a dodgy .303 with a crap safety, but its asking for trouble on modern designs other than a mauser action.
    I had someone try to insist I used this method when I was starting out on my old Savage 110.
    Well guess what, on the supposed 'half bolt' the firing pin drops on the Savage and the gun will fire, complete with a bolt not locked in place properly.
    Safe way to hunt?
    No thanks.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    It was fine for grand dad on a dodgy .303 with a crap safety, but its asking for trouble on modern designs other than a mauser action.
    I had someone try to insist I used this method when I was starting out on my old Savage 110.
    Well guess what, on the supposed 'half bolt' the firing pin drops on the Savage and the gun will fire, complete with a bolt not locked in place properly.
    Safe way to hunt?
    No thanks.
    Each to their own, but I totally agree safety is number one

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    ..........This will NOT fire a round as the firing pin energy is spent trying to close the bolt. You will have to raise and lower the bolt handle to recock the gun before you can fire it. ...........
    Unfortunately it can and has happened to me and I'm sure plenty of others. It's not a safe way to carry a rifle that cocks on opening and hunters have been known to fall over and have the bolt closed on them, some ending up with the rifle pointing at them. Not a situation you'd want to find yourself in.

I usually carry my Sako 85 with the bolt half closed and the safety engaged. The trouble with the safety only approach is that it's hard to tell at a glance whether the rifle is cocked or not. With the bolt half closed it's reassurance also for anyone you may be hunting with.

Dan, I think you're missing what is being said. Your rifle does not have a true half cock position. It is closing the bolt exactly as it should when the trigger is pulled.
    You mention "safety is number one" but you're choosing to hunt in an unsafe manner.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman, ebf and 1 others like this.

Should have probably had a read of this thread before posting, http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...pen-bolt-5204/ exactly what I needed to read. Vietnamcam explains everything I was asking
    10-Ring likes this.

Just to add...an old 303 on half cock is about as dangerous as dangerous can be.
    Any sort of thump can set it off, and you have to fully cock it to deactivate the half cock. Try that with wet slippery fingers and see what happens.

Where do you think the expression "going off half cocked" came from? It was probably coined by someone with only one foot.
    veitnamcam, Barefoot, ebf and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Just to add...an old 303 on half cock is about as dangerous as dangerous can be.
    Any sort of thump can set it off, and you have to fully cock it to deactivate the half cock. Try that with wet slippery fingers and see what happens.

Where do you think the expression "going off half cocked" came from? It was probably coined by someone with only one foot.
    The expression actually comes from the days of flintlock firearms, going off at halfcock meant that the flint wouldnt hit the frizzen with enough force to ignite the powder in the pan. Hence the term going off half cocked - not being fully prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post
    The expression actually comes from the days of flintlock firearms, going off at halfcock meant that the flint wouldnt hit the frizzen with enough force to ignite the powder in the pan. Hence the term going off half cocked - not being fully prepared.
    That doesnt make any sense compared to Tahr's version

Fark man this half cock buzz is so engrained in nz hunters, Its how i Was taught to hunt and you should see the looks on the faces of my hunting mate when I tell them its not safe, then you should see the looks on their faces when I tell them they cant come hunting with me until they change thier ways.
    gadgetman likes this.