Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Brno 581 Auto .22LR - value?

Gone But Not Forgotten

Brno 581 Auto .22LR - value?

A friend wants to buy my 1959 Brno 581 and I'm not sure what it's worth. It's in beautiful condition for it's age, the bluing is virtually unmarked. The chequered walnut stock has a few vey minor, very shallow, little impressions here and there - not many. The butt plate is in very nice condition, has the original flip up rear sights and front sight hood. The 8 shot magazine is still like new and the bore is sharp and shiny.

I purchased this from an deceased estate 17 years ago. Since that time I've put less than a brick through it as I mainly use my Brno Model 1 and Model 2. Looking at the condition I doubt it's had more than two bricks through it in it's entire life. It comes with a used (marked made in West Germany) Zeiss Daital scope with 4x plex reticle mounted in high quality low Hilver steel rings.

It also shoots subs perfectly and has never jammed once. Shoots around 0.6" at 50 metres. For those that like to use suppressors, the NZ made Silent Kill will fit over the front sight onto the barrel. The early model Brno 581 has better machining and finish than the later made CZ 581 and 511 rifles.

As it's basically a safe queen I may as well sell it. Has anyone an idea of it's realistic value/price? No kiddie remarks please.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Sorry double post. Wireless connection has too much lag.

I would also have a look at what BRNO 2Es have sold for vs CZ452/455 and then see what a mark up you could add compared to recent 511s.
    Without photos its hard to judge.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I would also have a look at what BRNO 2Es have sold for vs CZ452/455 and then see what a mark up you could add compared to recent 511s.
    Good call on the photos.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Good point.

gadgetman, time out, ZG47 and 3 others like this.

That's a lovely wee thing, 10-Ring. Wish I had about $1200 to offer for it, with scope. But I don't so I'll bugger offf. Good luck.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks keneff.

Sold to the man in the blue green truck. I don't think it's worth anywhere near 1,200 smackaroos but I wouldn't say no.

You'd be surprised, she's certainly a beauty. If I hadn't just bought a .22lr AR15 upper I would have offered you around the $950 mark.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Mines a bit scruffier than yours stockwise, missing the rear sight, the front dovetail gone in a thread job. Has an extra larger magazine (15) too though, which is half the value of one of these as I understand it. I wouldn't let it go for less than $600, minus glass. Where would I get another if I changed my mind? Or replace it with what, a 10/22 or some other rubbish at the $500-$600 mark?

That one is a beauty, (the blueing! yum!) no way would I expect to nab it for under a grand, even from a mate.
    ZG47 likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I think around the $850 - $950 mark, maybe a little more. High quality, looks mint and probably slightly collectible and becoming more so and hard to find.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks guys; appreciate the help.

Rifle also comes with a spare magazine that looks like new. Took it to the range yesterday and fired off half a box of CCI subs, standing at some small tins. Never missed a beat and really enjoyed using it. Still, I think I'll sell my 1950 Brno 1 and 1956 Model 2 as well and just concentrate on using my Anschutz 1712 silhouette rifle and .308 deer hunting.

Keep the little semi mate, gives you a bolt .22 with the Annie and a awesome semi to mix it up a bit. I have a JW15 ( poor man's model one Brno ) and a Unique. The semi sit's in the safe most of the time but when I feel like a change out she comes. Gives the hunt a whole new feel. You will never get another 581 like that again.
    dogmatix likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I think you might be right viper - thanks. Really enjoyed shooting the semi the other day.

I had a JW15 twenty or so years ago and apart from being a little rough it sure could lay down a good group - the equal of any Brno I ever owned and better than some.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Keep it @10-Ring these are a really nice little unit. I ended up moving one on from deceased estate i was involved in to a mate with a few Brno's and it's his fav by far. They don't make them like that anymore bud!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Good point.

That is nice 10-Ring - I tossed up between one of those and a Unique nearly fifty years ago - what a tosser
    Let me know what he would take