Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cheap e cat safes?

Cheap e cat safes?

Was thinking about getting my e cat endorsement because i do a lo of pest control work however the price of e cat safes are crazy!!

Anyone out there have one for sale or can point me in the right direction?

Worth spending money on though - don't have $5k worth of guns in a $500 safe...
    Kscott and mikee like this.

Wasn't there an issue with e cat safes not being certified lately??

res
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Wasn't there an issue with e cat safes not being certified lately??
    The Police seem to be questioning the longstanding practice of getting an engineer to say they believe the safe to meet such and such standard and are wanting to move to the safes actually haveing passed the standard
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    The Police seem to be questioning the longstanding practice of getting an engineer to say they believe the safe to meet such and such standard and are wanting to move to the safes actually haveing passed the standard
    My cert states it meets the standard not "believe it meets"
    copied From my cert
    Sir,
    Thank you for the opportunity to assess the suitability of the Fourteen (14) gun, ProStaff, Sentry Safe
    Model GM-1459, for restricted firearm storage.
    I have examined and assessed the ProStaff, Sentry Safe Model GM-1459 (14 Gun Model), with E-lock and
    key override lock, using BS 3621 and EN 12209: 2003, LA (Master Locksmiths Association) Best Practice
    Guide BS 3621: 2004, and BS EN 1303, and the Arms Regulations 1992 (SR 1992/346) - Steel Safes
    (Regulation 28 (1)(c)).
    This model of safe, (ProStaff, Sentry Safe Model GM-1459) which I examined and assessed meets the
    requirements of the standards as outlined in the New Zealand Arms Regulations 1992 (SR 1992/346) -
    Steel Safes (Regulation 28 (1)(c)).
    This report serves as a Certificate of Compliance with all New Zealand Firearms rules and regulations as
    outlined in Arms Regulations 1992 (SR 1992/346) - Steel Safes (Regulation 28 (1)(c)).
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    My cert states it meets the standard not "believe it meets"
    copied From my cert
    Unfortunately that is also the wording on some the police have rejected for new security install inspections, several groups are in contact with police over this. It is unlikely to effect those of us with safes that have been signed off in place by police
    doubleRB likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Watching this thread, also looking for a 16 gun E-cat safe for a reasonable price.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Reading an old post from back in 2012 about this very same thing and it pointed out some of the safes are not made out of 6mm as stated, 5.6-5.8mm and the Police were measuring the thickness on inspections and rejecting the under sized units.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Reading an old post from back in 2012 about this very same thing and it pointed out some of the safes are not made out of 6mm as stated, 5.6-5.8mm and the Police were measuring the thickness on inspections and rejecting the under sized units.

And again safes do not need to be made out of 6mm anything, they are safes and come under a different regulation but if you make a box of Stout and secure construction then it must be 6mm or equivalent (from memory)

So if police or vetters are doing this then they don't understand the regulations either, but then that's nothing new either.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Thats not quite right, nothing in the Firearms regs states what the safe/box/cabinet must be made from. The pistolnz advice, from the police website https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...nts-pol67n.pdf

states that a steel safe must be certified by a regsitered engineer to meet the requirments of the steel box/cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Worth spending money on though - don't have $5k worth of guns in a $500 safe...
    This.

Keep an eye out on TM for old bank safes but don't go for the cheapest option, go for the safe that is suitable for storing your firearms.

Most gunshops have them, the pricing is pretty similar amongst them all, your local Hunting & Fishing shop would probably be the cheapest option when you add the cost of shipping, as they're bloody heavy !

MSL
    Buy a two tonne ex bank safe, and leave it on the trailer in the shed for a couple of weeks while you work out how to get it off.
    puku and petronious_arbiter like this.

Just my opinion but if you have said guns they aren't $5 worth
    Is in not worth protecting them? I mean we buy 3k scopes what's 2 on a big safe
    And having been thu a fire I would be putting more into a fire proof one

You wont ever catch me spending 2 k on a safe let alone 1k
    Something solid and well mounted for as cheap as possible IMO I pay enough in insurance not to worry.... Too much....
    If someone wants to steal from you then they most likely will...

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
    Jexla likes this.

Keep an eye out for auctions or businesses going under sorta thing. I got an old safe a few years back from a warehouse being pulled down for $600.

Had to build a massive sloping ramp of logs a metre high and 4 metres long just to get it off the trailer.
    Then had to use some pretty strong jacks and pulleys to move the damn thing into place. Took an entire weekend just to move it 3 metres.
    Got a mate who welds to help put an old gas tank around it so its disguised as a fireplace.Even chucked some paper & kindling in it so it looks the part.

Hell of an effort, pain in the ass if we ever moved.
    Savage1 and res like this.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind