Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Cheap and fun guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    My suggestion: if you already have a good rifle in 243, 7mm08, 6.5 or 308, use that money towards buying more ammo for your existing accurate rifle (s). It will give your more fun and much less hassle.

Or you could go out buy a 500-dollar 7.62 x 39, then another 300 on an OK scope, another 100 on bits and pieces like rings, sling, bipod, and safe space, and finally another 100 on range trips to tune it in with the right ammo. That is about 1000 dollars to get ready to shoot (that is if you are lucky that this cheap gun shoots well without having to go to a gun smith). Even if you are active you will probably shoot less than 100 shots a year, you save about 1 dollar per shot compared to you existing good rifle. That is only 100 dollars saving a year, and you are shooting a lesser gun for the next 10 years.

Compared to just buy more ammo for your current rifle, your 1000 setup cost can be spread over the next 10 years. $100 a year, exactly what you had saved from shooting the lesser gun.
    That's a good point. The 308 I have already has near enough 1 moa from factory ammo so I may be better off getting into reloading. If I shoot it lots I should save money. I hope. Rounds a near enough 2 dollars each so if I could get it more accurate and cheaper rounds that would be mint.

I will probably get a shotgun and get a 223 when I have some goats to shoot.

I ended up ordering some belmont 308 for 250 bucks for 200. They also have 308 PMC for 240 delivered but that is FMJ I think.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Learn how to shoot open sighted save a fortune on a scope to spend on ammunition. Sometimes it pays to go back to basics to learn how to shoot before using every advantage technology offers.

Scored a Rossi Pumba 338 Whisper, rail and Gun Works suppressor for under $550. 6BR necked up (cheap) 300gr Berger Hybrids (1.8"projectileOAL) cart wheeling, means 5.4" MOA doesn't it!?
    13GR's of powder makes it cheap for sub sonic going through a 10" standing beach tree!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Learn how to shoot open sighted save a fortune on a scope to spend on ammunition. Sometimes it pays to go back to basics to learn how to shoot before using every advantage technology offers.
    I was looking at the cheap open sighted 22's at sai second hand rack and thought that it would be fun to muck around with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflite View Post
    Scored a Rossi Pumba 338 Whisper, rail and Gun Works suppressor for under $550. 6BR necked up (cheap) 300gr Berger Hybrids (1.8"projectileOAL) cart wheeling, means 5.4" MOA doesn't it!?
    13GR's of powder makes it cheap for sub sonic going through a 10" standing beach tree!
    Damn son. That's a bargain. I'm keeping an eye on trademe but good stuff bets snapped up before I get to it ha.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    bought one of these off another member just the other day ..... it's away getting shortened and threaded as we speak
    So I got this back from dpt shortened threaded and recrowned put it back in the stock , torqued up the action screws replaced the Nikko 4x32 with a different budget scope (previous owner said best he could get out of it was 3-4moa ).out to the range today.....Name:  1st group.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  94.3 KB
    Not too good with barnaul and worse with ppu . Off with the scope and replace with quality warne steel rings and mid range Redfield scopeName:  2nd group.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  95.9 KB good enough for a hunt in a couple of weeks but I did run out of adjustment on elevation ....next step is to do some reloads see if I can't tighten the groups up. When I got home was cleaning it and noticed the front base is a little higher than the rear..... could they have been fitted back to front? maybe this is why I ran out of adjustment up?
    WallyR likes this.