Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: To chop or not to chop

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar

To chop or not to chop

Ive been thinking about chopping back the barrel on my Kimber 7mm WSM ever since I received my new replaced HRE can & after reading Tui's & lazys post I thought I'd see what you fullas think, my original gen 1 & 2 HRE cans butted right up to the for end but the new gen 3 model is over 3.5" shorter

This is now being used as an alrounder 10-600yard rifle

As it is at the moment, 22.5" barrel with 162 A-maxes doing 3000fps
    Name:  WSM 1.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  91.3 KB

With new can fitted, a little long for in the scrub & quite front heavy
    Name:  WSM 2.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  73.6 KB

What it would look like if I cut the barrel back to 19" plus 4" forward with the suppressor
    Name:  WSM 3.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  71.9 KB
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

What powder you using? My saum is 3000fps with 23inch bbl, wsm should be next step up?

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Not really, the difference between SAUM & WSM is only 2 or 3 grains, In the Kimber 72g of 2225 seems to shoot OK.
    If I chop it how much will I lose ? 120-160 fps maybe
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

LJP
    Looks sexy with that short barrel - Hmmm I vote go with the snip

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Not really, the difference between SAUM & WSM is only 2 or 3 grains, In the Kimber 72g of 2225 seems to shoot OK.
    If I chop it how much will I lose ? 120-160 fps maybe
    Chop it Phil, I don't think you would lose that much speed....... change to 2217 to see how it goes

If it loses more speed than you would like, you will still have a more useable rifle.

You can always rebarrel it, probably hasn't had enough rounds through it yet though, seeing as how you have never shot it hot...........much .....

Opps nearly forgot, the pressure at the muzzle will go up with the shorter barrel...................better ask the suppressor how it feels about that......

I reckon give it the snip - realistically, at worst you would lost about 150fps max maybe? Still more than enough ooomph for 0-600 yards.

Dont run powder thats to slow, you will end up with unburnt powder sitting in the can and after x amount of shots you will end up with a bigger boom than you will like.
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

Just got my rifle back from Mr Hardy. I asked too take off as much as possible without butting up against the stock - I didn't know the new suppressors were so short - but it looks and balance's very nice - A T3 270 with 4" gone - Hope it still works ;-) It's basically the same length as it was before it left with the suppressor on = perfect bush/paddock rifle capable out to 400-500 .. maybe.

This is a weird trend.Buy a 7MM magnum and then turn it into a .280 thats still eats 70gr of powder.It will cost money to chop and recrown, wont help resale and will leave you with a rifle thats not particularly good at anything. Going by your sig you already have a .308 .

But I suppose someone on the internet has done it so.......
    baldbob, crzyman and tui_man2 like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Ejected
    Chop it.

AB Precision
    sell it an get a 7mm08
    baldbob likes this.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapour View Post
    Just got my rifle back from Mr Hardy. I asked too take off as much as possible without butting up against the stock -.
    I asked for as much off as possible to get supp butting up to stock, and got nothing off

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    sell it an get an Edge
    Fixed it for you TUI

You know you want to Phil

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Fixed it for you TUI

You know you want to Phil
    haha or that

not much point chopping a magunm down to 19" get a 7mm08 an chop it down to that the speeds wont be bugger all difference an still do the job to 600m like you want, with cheeper brass, less powder, easyer on supperssors an quiter from the 7mm08

but if you did chop it, id go to a faster powder not a slower powder for the suppressor an secondard burn in the suppressor from the unburnt powder..............my 18" 243 is harder on suppressors that a 26" 300rum with the same suppressor

Just cut the fricken thing.
    You will only loose about 125.015f/sec +/- and you can always (should) ram some faster powder down it. And using the A-max up close it will prob work better a bit slower anyway, the A-max only needs a min 1400-1500 f/sec to open up so that few feet you loose is not really critical. Plus they still sell rifles, next time you might not make such a terible choice as a Kimber
    Just up date your life insurance policy first, and don't tell any of the forum sooks that you are loading it hot.....they all start crying and ring the police saying there is a man attempting suicide with a firearm......