Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: To chop or not to chop

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I wouldn't chop it philipo, you have a 308 semi that's good for your bush , that rifle is made intended for a different use.
    If you ever go to sell it chopped it won't be worth shit.
    If it's accuracte the way it is keep it, if it's not trade/sell it away.

I chopped my 7mm08 to 19" and get 2840fps from it, enought to cover everything out to ~500. Since the chop it has taken deer at 387 bull tahr at 316, chamois at 300, pig at 10, all dropped on the spot, I have a 7mm mag but that is a long ranger not a universal like the 7mm08.

Well I tested out the 270 this weekend - it's been chopped to 18" (-4"). Slower her down from 3015 to around 2870. But still very accurate and capable out to 400-500 if required which I never do. Also got some Trial boss loads going around 1720 fps - those are fun and much quieter

Very interesting thread when compared to the "LR is everything" sort of threads a couple of years back (over there)

People were obsessing about 50 extra fps like it was the difference between life and death and carrying 20lb 26+inch cannons in the bush now it seems to be swinging back pretty far the other way and everybody is throwing away all the powder and power you chose and paid for?

As above - surely you have a bush gun or 10? Keep it / sell it / rebarrel it - but a 18/19 inch barrel wsm just sounds silly to me. The 19 inch .243 was a bad enough flame thrower / general antisocial pig of a thing, but a short WSM would surely be horrible?

As it is = very glad I never got on the LR bandwagon (Scout now has a 7/08 little sister is about as close as it gets)

Cyclist. Stay dazed and confused. You just don't seem to get it...............................

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Yeah I don't think I'll chop it, What I really want is a short barrel 338 fed & suppress it
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Im2lazy View Post
    Cyclist. Stay dazed and confused. You just don't seem to get it...............................

I think he gets it 100% actually....

Good to see you left it Philipo, no point compromising dedicated long range Magnum. And as you say, it gives you an excuse to add another rifle to the collection.
    Welcome to Sako club.