Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coating a blued rifle

Gudday,

I have two blued rifles that are rusting like buggery on extended trips. Just surface rust but still frustrating.

What are the best coatings on the market at the moment? I am after durability and rust protection. Will probably get the action done as well on both of them.

I hear a lot of names thrown about (Milspec, duracoat, cerakote etc.) but I am after a summary of pros and cons and cost as looking to get an effective treatment that doesnt require a follow up in the near future.

Also, I hear that some people have oiled and then used heat shrink stuff. How successful has this been for anyone on here?

Cheers

I damaged the bluing on my sks to I stripped it all off with action cleaner and gave it a squirt with el-cheapo spray paint. That was 6 months ago. Haven't had any issues with it I wouldn't advise it for a flash hunting rifle though.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Only one coating in my mind.. N.I.C.K.E.L.C.O.A.T.... While being fairly hardy dura/ceracoat an milspec do chip and wear from which ive seen....

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    Only one coating in my mind.. N.I.C.K.E.L.C.O.A.T.... While being fairly hardy dura/ceracoat an milspec do chip and wear from which ive seen....
    Cheers baldbob that info on milspec etc is very helpful. Any more info on the aforementioned coating?

I'm going to duracoat my SPS.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    I'm going to duracoat my SPS.
    What made you choose duracoat over the other options? Are you doing a DIY?

Is there anyone is NZ that still does cerakote (and wont steal your shit)?

Quote Originally Posted by .22-250 everything View Post
    What made you choose duracoat over the other options? Are you doing a DIY?
    Yep, going to do it myself.

Who is currently using duracoat and how does it wear under normal hunting conditions?

Is Leathal around? I seem to remember him using automotive paint... How has that held up?

Quote Originally Posted by the kid View Post
    Is there anyone is NZ that still does cerakote (and wont steal your shit)?
    Greystone are going to be doing it

Quote Originally Posted by .22-250 everything View Post
    Who is currently using duracoat and how does it wear under normal hunting conditions?

Is Leathal around? I seem to remember him using automotive paint... How has that held up?
    My duracoat job is holding up okay. It will chip/scratch if you hit rocks with it and it it is prone to wear on sharp edges but its otherwise fine. You really do need to leave it cure for the full 4 weeks before heavy use.

Millspec coating from experience works mint as, contact:thats wills fishing and firearms Fishing and Hunting New Zealand – Hunting and fishing products for game hunting and game fishing in New Zealand. and give him a call,he can get it all done,even get the stocks a touch up....

I'll be sending my ATA century off to get it done through him next week and that way you have no hassels on worrying about the metal work aside from wiping it down with a paper towel if its been wet.... seriously a firearm is an investment so why not protect that investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Millspec coating from experience works mint as, contact:thats wills fishing and firearms Fishing and Hunting New Zealand – Hunting and fishing products for game hunting and game fishing in New Zealand. and give him a call,he can get it all done,even get the stocks a touch up....

I'll be sending my ATA century off to get it done through him next week and that way you have no hassels on worrying about the metal work aside from wiping it down with a paper towel if its been wet.... seriously a firearm is an investment so why not protect that investment?
    Hey mate did you get your rifle coated?, I have a RRA LAR-8 26" Varmint that I am thinking of getting done, does he use Cerakote?

who is the best to use in NZ?

Cheers

Glu
    Milspec Coating is a company that coats firearms but they use Gun Kote when they coat your firearm .

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glu View Post
    Milspec Coating is a company that coats firearms but they use Gun Kote when they coat your firearm .
    I can attest that Gun Kote is the ducks bollox