Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Critique Wanted!

Critique Wanted!

Hey Guys so you may of seen some of my previous posts over the last couple of months about purchasing a long range set up. I have come up with this gear, just after some final thought and opinions before I spend all my money. Have done alot of research into this read many books and forums so any other input is also extremely appreciated. Also anyone with some of this gear your opinion on it would be awesome. Cheers in advance.

Platform; Tikka T3 Lite Stainless RH Synthetic Stock (have chosen this due to the 1" 100 yard warranty and also out of the box performance along with top of the line trigger down to 2lb)
    Calibre; .300 Win Mag

Stock; After market Bell and Carson #1042 (T3 replacement stock) with full aluminum bedding block.

Optics; Leupold VX6 3-18x50mm (30mm tube) Side Focus CDS with a TMOA Reticle. (scope chosen for life time warranty, reticle chosen so I can hold over for wind but at the same time dial drop)

Supressor; Hardy Gen 5 Stealth Supressor

Bipod; Harris Light Weight Bipod

Then the usual accessories on top, i.e. Sling, cheek piece, limb saver.

Rings was the one thing I haven't looked into as yet.

Have you looked at the Remington long range rifles?
    Come with the bell and Carlson ready to go, and rings I like
    Talleys or nightforce ultralites
    Last edited by camo wsm; 22-02-2015 at 12:50 PM.

There is an L in Carlson.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    Have you looked at the Remington long range rifles?
    Come with the bell and Carson ready to go, and rings I like
    Talleys or nightforce ultralites
    Briefly looked at the Sendero but the weight threw me there. Apart from that have not looked into the Remington Range much deeper for a couple of reasons, firstly have a lot of mates and advice from smiths on the T3 and its performance and secondly Remington is having trigger problems.

What rifles would you be suggesting are worth a look in ?
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

To be honest, If you are looking long range then the weight is good.... if you are looking to climb the hills in search of Thar then not so much.

The Setup you have researched is fine and it might be worth looking into DPT Suppressors for the lighter weight?
    Also consider the Bipod Spikes form Gunworks.

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    There is an L in Carlson.
    There you go fixed it
    sneeze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    To be honest, If you are looking long range then the weight is good.... if you are looking to climb the hills in search of Thar then not so much.

The Setup you have researched is fine and it might be worth looking into DPT Suppressors for the lighter weight?
    Also consider the Bipod Spikes form Gunworks.
    Cheers , yeah weight was a big issue in the design but I understood I cant have everything in the idea that some weight is still an advantage. So to answer your question the rifle will do the miles, I like to cover ground so I wont be sitting on top of a ridge all day with a 26" heavy barrel

Will look into the other supressor and bipod
    Thanks
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

Sweet, the spikes are great and the DPT can I have is very quiet...

Good luck.
    338 man and DanS like this.

sounds perfect; Talley rings will top that set up off nicely. Get the double safety stuck on the rifle and it'll be even better.
    BRADS and DanS like this.

My advice is especially with a can involved for 300 the t3 lite is to light. I have a t3 in 7 rem mag with a hardy gen 4 and the poi walks with barrel heat up. To the point where it's hotter than a frypan after 3 shots taking up to 5 mins to make the shots. This will be Affecting you if you are practising LR on Gongs say...

There's a reason the t3 varmint has a heavy barrel...

Eventually mine will get a heavier contour barrel to be a better heat sink, but at the mo I'm working with what I've got and working with the known characteristics.

If you're building for a single long shot on a clean cold barrel - fine. just remember in training to treat it that way. Competitions or club shoots you want something else.

Just my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    My advice is especially with a can involved for 300 the t3 lite is to light. I have a t3 in 7 rem mag with a hardy gen 4 and the poi walks with barrel heat up. To the point where it's hotter than a frypan after 3 shots taking up to 5 mins to make the shots. This will be Affecting you if you are practising LR on Gongs say...

There's a reason the t3 varmint has a heavy barrel...

Eventually mine will get a heavier contour barrel to be a better heat sink, but at the mo I'm working with what I've got and working with the known characteristics.

If you're building for a single long shot on a clean cold barrel - fine. just remember in training to treat it that way. Competitions or club shoots you want something else.

Just my 2c.
    Cheers mate had given that some thought and had come to the realization on the range I would only be shooting 4 rounds an hour and will just have to deal with that. Thanks for your input though mate!

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    sounds perfect; Talley rings will top that set up off nicely. Get the double safety stuck on the rifle and it'll be even better.
    Is that the half cock ? Gunsmith can put that on aye ? Any idea of price ?

Hey Dan, can you define what you call "long range".
    I think you've got a fairly good package there, and everyone will have different opinions to you, my only concern is the scope, having used one on a lr rig which is why I ask how far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Hey Dan, can you define what you call "long range".
    I think you've got a fairly good package there, and everyone will have different opinions to you, my only concern is the scope, having used one on a lr rig which is why I ask how far?

The goal was to hit paper @ 1000yards and if Im capable to hit solid groups take animals out to 750m maybe even more.

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    The goal was to hit paper @ 1000yards and if Im capable to hit solid groups take animals out to 750m maybe even more.
    Think you'll be fine then

DanS likes this.