Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By robh500
  • 1 Post By northdude

Thread: Deposits in Rifle Suppressor

Deposits in Rifle Suppressor

I've had a build up of very hard craggy stuff inside the suppressor, which I can't flake off with screwdriver nor soften with Hoppes #9. Sometimes little bits do get into the threads when I take off the modules and it's soft aluminium so I clean it out carefully before reassembling. If I shake it white powder drops out (must drop back into the muzzle too, I suppose). When it gets wet inside a blue goo runs out. This model has a recessed front so water accumulates in the rain and will run into the end module if I carry it over my shoulder muzzle up. That looks like copper fouling, I reckon. The harmonic balance of the whole unit must be gradually changing over time.

White powder tapped out when dry:

Blue sludge soaked into paper towel when wet:
    [/URL]

Ammo details: 7mm08; Nosler Ballistic tip; Federal 210 primer AR2208 powder; approx 800 rounds though it when these pics were taken.

I take it you're not running solvent into the suppressor? White powder could be an alum oxide, but you'd notice alum coming off the suppressor somewhere.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

Ultrasonic cleaner will sort it mate. Pull it apart first if you can.
    northdude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robh500 View Post
    Ultrasonic cleaner will sort it mate. Pull it apart first if you can.
    I've had no joy with ultra sonic cleaners and suppressor build up on my 22. Barely did anything and got lead everywhere. What solvent did you use?

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

northdude
    ah never thought of smuggling that white powder inside a suppressor
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

Last week during the wet weather here I went to the range over a couple of days and blasted off several hundred rounds thru my MAE SS 22 suppressor. When I removed it immediately after my last shot a lot of vapor was still coming out of it. Never seen that b4. When I got home from day one I noticed goo actually running out of the suppressor – warning here to those that don’t remove theirs and who store their rifles muzzle up!

Hadn’t cleaned the MAE for ages so pulled it apart and got stuck in. Well, my good old Brakleen although it removed the slime wouldn’t touch the crusted on stuff at all. Ended up having to use very fine steel wool and Brakleen. Gave the baffles a very fine coat of Froglube b4 reassembling.

Next day fired another 100 or so. Same deal, wet day, suppressor oozing slime. This time it easliy cleaned back to bare metal using a cloth. Muck probably hadn’t had time to harden.

I guess we are all guilty of not maintaining our suppressors in a timely manner. I have some Slip 1000 that the makers claim will clean hard carbon deposits. Will try that next time.

I have honestly never bothered to clean any of my suppressors, some of which I have fired +-2k of rounds thru them. Gosh I'm bad.