Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By quentin
  • 1 Post By Beavis
  • 6 Post By gundoc
  • 1 Post By gundoc

Thread: Dismantling a rifle (theory)

Dismantling a rifle (theory)

A discussion came up between me and a mate and we were trying to decide whether dismantling a firearm into components such as remove bolt, remove trigger pack from action and removed from stock etc with all the parts locked in containers, if it would still be by legal definition a firearm for storage considering you can buy alot of parts without a licence.

I would have thought it to be fine personally but I pulled this from the arms code...

"It also includes anything that for the time being is not capable of discharging any shot, bullet, missile or other projectile by force of explosive, but which by it’s completion or repair would be capable of doing so."

What are your thoughts?

As I understood it, the action or AR lower is the part that is considered the firearm, so needs to be secured in an approved manner, and requires a FAL to purchase. These are also the serial numbered parts.
    As you said all of the other parts can be purchased without a FAL, and these can stored in your containers.
    mikee likes this.

A disassembled firearm is still a firearm as long as the receiver is intact. I recall hearing that police opinion on what constitutes a firearm no longer being a firearm, is the item being cut in half longitudinally.
    Steve123 likes this.

I should also mention that the discussion was about a bolt action firearm and not a semiautomatic or AR15.

Dismantled and parts stored separately does not change its status as a 'firearm' under NZ law. The definition is so wide open that it is applicable to virtually any item that was once a firearm. The only 'non firearm' is one which has either been sectioned or otherwise structurally modified so that it can never be made to fire again. I was creating 'non guns' as wall hangers for customers, and certifying them as such, and was told to desist by the Police. I invited them to test it in court and they declined.
    P38, stumpy, Krameranzac and 3 others like this.

what gundoc said .
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

I know it isn't legal but a bolt gun with the bolt in your pocket makes it pretty useless for a while. Have used this when travelling. Anyone know if there has been a court case of 'unsupervised' firearms being left in vehicles?

northdude
    Just don't leave an unsupervised ar or similar in your car it start killing people

The way the definition is worded in the Arms Act is so broad that it could cover a block of steel that has gun hidden in the middle of it (just a question of knowing which bits to throw away). The Courts have now ruled that the item must have started life as a firearm and is now missing parts (or is capable of being repaired) which can be replaced and get it into firing order. This stems from the wording "...by its completion or replacement of any component part or parts or by the correction or repair of any defect or defects.....". Something cannot be completed, parts replaced, or repaired, unless they were there, or intended to be there in the first place.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    It would be an interesting test, an unsecured action gets stolen, built up with completely different parts that were never owned by the legal owner that suffered the robbery.

A completely stripped action, is now a paper weight by any logical extension of reasoning. If it's stored next to enough parts to reassemble a functioning firearm probably different kettle of fish, but by itself??? I have a brand new unserialed enfield action as a paperweight, I'm not sure how you would go about filling out the paperwork to mail it to someone as it doesn't have a number...

If they want to go down that track, a piece of boiler grade seamless pressure tube could easily be manufactured into a smoothbore barrel (doesn't need a receiver) or in the smaller sizes, a zip gun. Where does it stop...
    Not all firearms have serial numbers by any means. You'd be surprised how "new" some of these are. I record all mine, but I do own one with no number on it - never had one from the factory (1960s vintage).

Quote Originally Posted by 7x64 View Post
    Not all firearms have serial numbers by any means. You'd be surprised how "new" some of these are. I record all mine, but I do own one with no number on it - never had one from the factory (1960s vintage).
    If no serial numbers just concoct your own and engrave it on. I did that with 2 of my un-serial numered firearms. One a 16g hammer gun.

My 25/06 start out as a 700 LA receiver I picked up at a Gun show it took a few months to get all the parts together got a bolt from the local Gunshop the barrel from OZ build the stock my self the other bits and pieces
    I had lying around, so it is understandable that the Police are worried about people building guns out of stolen parts, our vetting officer says the local scumbags steal rifles without bolts so there must be a market for them.

All my semi autos I had I would strip down and take the bolts out and put in a seperate safe for storage at home. It does take a little bit of time but they aren't going to work if the gun safe in gotten into.