Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Domestic Air Travel With Synthetic Stock

Domestic Air Travel With Synthetic Stock

Went thru security this morning with a model 7 stock (only). Security asks to see my firearm. It's not a firearm I say. Ah but you might have people travelling with you and meet in the toilet to assemble different parts they say. So I go check it in to AirNZ's disbelief. Barrel, action, ammo all make sense to check in...but is a stock a required component for an operable firearm...

Was no problem to check it in and thankfully I bubbled wrapped it...but not ideal and didn't want to bring a rifle case just for a stock. Postage is easier than doing someone a favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Went thru security this morning with a model 7 stock (only). Security asks to see my firearm. It's not a firearm I say. Ah but you might have people travelling with you and meet in the toilet to assemble different parts they say. So I go check it in to AirNZ's disbelief. Barrel, action, ammo all make sense to check in...but is a stock a required component for an operable firearm...

Was no problem to check it in and thankfully I bubbled wrapped it...but not ideal and didn't want to bring a rifle case just for a stock. Postage is easier than doing someone a favour.
    You should have asked them, the 'supposed' people bringing the barrel, action, bolt ect would surely be searched and have to hand them in as you security measures are so good.....but dont smile/smirk when you say it.......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

They're muppets. I told a fat Air NZ customs officer lady to jump off a bridge when she wound me up about something similar. Didn't go down to well
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

You are not supposed to take ANY part of a firearm as onboard luggage.

Yes it's silly. Yes it's the rules.
    Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    You are not supposed to take ANY part of a firearm as onboard luggage.

Yes it's silly. Yes it's the rules.
    According to law it's not a "part" though.

When they confiscate nail clippers, it kind of means they don't really understand the risk anyways.

Correct, there's no law on the books for this. However the people that run it define the rules

It's just a lump of plastic, but the security guy needs to play it safe and ask questions. He'd be a shitty security guy if he saw someone with a rifle stock and DIDNT question you.
    ebf and Scouser like this.

ebf
    I don't really understand why firearm folk get uptight about this type of thing...

They operate the airline, they can make the rules. You can either cause a scene and that is going to paint firearm owners in a certain light, or you can follow the rules.

Bottom line is that if you act up enough, they can subject you to a cavity search, your choice
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

They operate the airline, they can make the rules. You can either cause a scene and that is going to paint firearm owners in a certain light, or you can follow the rules.
    Just a small point ...... "They" don't operate and are not employed by an airline, " They " are employed by the relevant State Authority, NZ Customs or NZ CAA.

B
    outdoorlad likes this.

Only a total muppet would try and take any rifle component onto a plane as carry-on...Oh, just checked your username...no wonder...helps explain why there are at least four topics covering Tikka rifles and their owners.
    Toby and blake like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

They are unrealistic,incapable and inconsistent to say the least,no wonder they are a loss making company that the nz taxpayer has to continually bail out.
    I came back from an international shooting comp a few years back and the prick behind the screen didn't even see that I had a glock 17 and several hundred rounds of ammo in my bag. WTF?

Ignoring the negative comments as I prefer not to belittle fellow forum members.... yes I did comply cooperatively without a 'scene' being created. Just found it interesting a plastic stock needed to be checked. I should have said it is a directional microphone stock!

Of course if I was a regional flight in a prop plane it wouldn't have been an issue as there is no security check, and AirNZ only asks if you have firearms or ammunition to declare...?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Hmm seems OTT but then so was what happened on 11th September 2001
    Steveh054 likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    They are unrealistic,incapable and inconsistent to say the least,no wonder they are a loss making company that the nz taxpayer has to continually bail out.
    I came back from an international shooting comp a few years back and the prick behind the screen didn't even see that I had a glock 17 and several hundred rounds of ammo in my bag. WTF?
    That's cause he was competently concentrating on your nail clippers and deodorant can!
    mayfly likes this.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!