Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Electric ears

I have tried several types. The sealing around the ears was a problem with all of them (foam cups only). I suspect that gell cups may be necessary to get the best use out of a pair of electronic muffs.
    Ryan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    I have tried several types. The sealing around the ears was a problem with all of them (foam cups only). I suspect that gell cups may be necessary to get the best use out of a pair of electronic muffs.
    Or get your ears cropped

res
    This is what I use, with a jell cup upgrade http://www.nzsafety.co.nz/servlet/Sr...4D&UC=NZSGUEST

At the time it was the hugest db reduction electric muffs I could find. A lot are only grade 3 rated even assuming ideal sealing-and with Eyepro and weird heads that can be a big ask. IMHO you need grade 5 or better for regular range use. Fortunately I have never found bulky earpro a issue on stock like some seem to.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_killer View Post
    Lols
    spock, is that you ??
    Hunter_killer likes this.

the howard leight ones work damn well. just wish the people that assemble them learnt to solder correctly. repaired a couple of pairs and they work well but the battery contacts are an issue

Bought a pair of those Howard ones off Amazon for the shoot coming up, I was jealous of gibos ones
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Bought a pair of those Howard ones off Amazon for the shoot coming up, I was jealous of gibos ones
    They will come into their own at a group shoot, taking off your muffs to hear some cheeky arse mocking you only to have the guy next to you pop off his 50cal with T500 brake would be no good at all
    Jexla and Hunter_killer like this.

res
    Howard leights are only 22db reduction- not flash at all. But at only us$50 they are good value.
    Have seen some electric muffs in NZ for $100 that were only 17db reduction!
    Using Tapatalk

@Gibo yep that's my thinking, I got caught out twice just with out little shoot with out my muffs on so thought with 40 odd people at this next one it will be much worse.
    Gibo likes this.

@Gibo yep that's my thinking, I got caught out twice just with out little shoot with out my muffs on so thought with 40 odd people at this next one it will be much worse.
    Yip, I think you got me too Lucky I was a ways away. Its great being able to talk but know when a shot is fired its cancelled out.

I see those muffs are only $80 in NZ at the moment on special which is what I paid from Amazon! When I ordered last week they were $130nz

I see those muffs are only $80 in NZ at the moment on special which is what I paid from Amazon! When I ordered last week they were $130nz
    What sight is that?

I have Howard lights and bought a few pairs from Amazon for club members, I rate them about 1/5 for range use. Sound supression is very sub par and I found the only way ill wear them is with earplugs underneath, which works nicely as the voice amplification means you can hear people better than without the muffs over the top.
    I don't think the cut-off volume is low enough either as I find them amplifying some shots and making them lower, maybe not as harmful as hearing the gunshot directly but still unneccesary

Alone they're not good for anything more than .22, silenced centre fire or quiet pistols.
    Shoot anything more than that and you go home with ringing ears.
    Haven't tried the expensive MSAs but for the price ill take the inconvenience of plugs under muffs

Bought my MSAs of this dinky outfit about 7 years ago. I am still recovering from the wallet surgery. Very happy with them still. They have the gel cups. Super well fitting with head down on stock.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/msa_supreme_muffs.htm
    Last edited by zimmer; 14-09-2016 at 05:18 PM.