Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Electric ears

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    I have Howard lights and bought a few pairs from Amazon for club members, I rate them about 1/5 for range use. Sound supression is very sub par and I found the only way ill wear them is with earplugs underneath, which works nicely as the voice amplification means you can hear people better than without the muffs over the top.
    I don't think the cut-off volume is low enough either as I find them amplifying some shots and making them lower, maybe not as harmful as hearing the gunshot directly but still unneccesary

Alone they're not good for anything more than .22, silenced centre fire or quiet pistols.
    Shoot anything more than that and you go home with ringing ears.
    Haven't tried the expensive MSAs but for the price ill take the inconvenience of plugs under muffs
    I found that at the range with the bigger cals (308 /303/ mosin) I take the Howards off and use Peltor as for some reason they lift a bit with the air wave and let teh sound in. Lighter cals and no problem, other people shooting and not a problem.
    Hunter_killer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Bought my MSAs of this dinky outfit about 7 years ago. I am still recovering from the wallet surgery. Very happy with them still. They have the gel cups. Super well fitting with head down on stock.
    MSA Sordin Supreme Pro Sound Control Muffs
    Same ones i have
    BRADS likes this.

res
    A very interesting write up on the sordin's https://trevoronthetrigger.wordpress...rr18db-rating/ and it drives home why you should geek out on some of the others talked about in this thread as well
    Using Tapatalk

Ive used a pair of Howard Leights for the last 4 or 5 years mainly for clays and duckshooting.
    Ive found them great theyve prob seen at least 5-7000 rounds and havent let me down...
    Maybe i just got a good pair?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyhabit View Post
    Ive used a pair of Howard Leights for the last 4 or 5 years mainly for clays and duckshooting.
    Ive found them great theyve prob seen at least 5-7000 rounds and havent let me down...
    Maybe i just got a good pair?
    No. Just that they work for shotguns. Mine work fine with the shotgun. I think it is the difference in noise profile. While both go BANG, a shotgun has a more rounded WHoompf sound where a rifle has a much harsher / sharper CRACK. Maybe someone else has a better way of describing this. Either way, My Howies work well with the 223, etc and the 12g but if I am using a 308 in an enclosed space at the range out come the old school not electric Peltors....Howies are more comfy and practical with the firearms I use it with.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_killer View Post
    Does anyone here know a good supplier for electronic hearing protection?

Looking for good quality but not necessarily Peltor lol.

I may have a few people interested in a bulk order if we can find the right price/supplier.

Alternatively, I would be keen to grab some second hand ones if someone wants to re-home a pair?

Cheers.
    What have you ended up getting?
    Using Tapatalk

got some of these the other day cost 250.00 nz on ebay Walker's Razor-XV Bluetooth Neck Worn Rechargeable Electronic Ear work good with the phone can talk or listen to music while shooting also amplifies sound can set for indoor shooting switches off for longer to stop echos ment to stop 30 decibles ear peices are a bit hard to get right about the only problem

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    What have you ended up getting?
    Hey mate,

Still away at the moment. Was going to order in some HLs and see how many ppl were interested?