Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By huntsika

Thread: Exporting rifle scope from Aussie

Exporting rifle scope from Aussie

Hi All
    I was just wondering if anybody can tell me what is involved in bringing a rifle scope in checked baggage from Aussie to NZ? With the Aus dollar being so low it makes buying a Nightforce out of Aussie quite cheap especially when I have mates working in the mines going back and forth who can carry it in.
    Do you require any permits or can it just be brought out.

R93
    I have brought 4 scopes and a spotting scope in my carry on from Oz.
    Only got a funny look once.
    Not a drama at all.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 14-01-2015 at 10:41 PM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

2nd hand optics should be sweet as. If you can get someone to bring it over, it can't be any more trouble than a fancy camera

I have brought a couple over in my baggage.. No drama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good thanks very much!

With the $$$ NZ shops ask for Nightforce you could fly over for the weekend, pick up the scope your self and still have enough for a beer or two.

I have also bought a couple back in carry-on hand luggage. I ended up being questioned by a reasonably intense Australian customs officer and wiped/tested for explosives. Fortunately another customs officer intervened to confirm everything was legit re scopes and all was ok. As always, be nice, honest and polite and you should not have any problems.

Remember you should be able to claim the tax back (10%) on the way out (thus the reason mine were in hand luggage). If in checked luggage I would expect no issues at all...
    shift14 likes this.

Claim the tax back! that sounds great especially on a Nightforce.

Quote Originally Posted by huntsika View Post
    I have also bought a couple back in carry-on hand luggage. I ended up being questioned by a reasonably intense Australian customs officer and wiped/tested for explosives. Fortunately another customs officer intervened to confirm everything was legit re scopes and all was ok. As always, be nice, honest and polite and you should not have any problems.

Remember you should be able to claim the tax back (10%) on the way out (thus the reason mine were in hand luggage). If in checked luggage I would expect no issues at all...
    @huntsika could you please explain about getting the tax back? Does sound like a hell of an idea!

Re the tax.

Most people do not know about it - it is called the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS) - see Tourist Refund Scheme.

Read the requirements very, very carefully - in particular, original tax invoice, and for purchases over $AUS 1,000, the tax invoice must also show your name and address (get the retailer to make you up a special invoice).

Carry the goods in your hand luggage.

Once you have cleared customs on the way out of Australia look for the TRS counter. It will be manned by someone who will look at your goods (often in detail - you will need to open boxes etc and show it matches the item on the invoice).

All going to plan... ~10% - or a tiny bit less - of the purchase price (the Australian GST rate) will be coming your way...

As anyone who has travelled to Australia quite a bit will know, customs in Australia take their job very seriously (as they should given recent wider events). Don't even think about putting anything slightly dodgy in your carry-on luggage and make sure all TRS requirements are met before you go to the airport.

Again, as per my earlier post, rightly or wrongly firearms/hunting related items are often not properly understood and or intimidate people who are not familiar with them. Be polite and considerate... and be ready to offer a genuine/honest explanation of the 'item' in your hand luggage when it goes through the airport scanner...

Makes often already cheaper items even cheaper...

FYI, there is also a similar scheme for European Union countries - it is a bit more complicated but the tax rate is slightly higher. I departed Rome earlier in the week and left with 'lots of beer money' following a month of shopping around Europe...

Quote Originally Posted by huntsika View Post
    Re the tax.

Most people do not know about it - it is called the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS) - see Tourist Refund Scheme.

Read the requirements very, very carefully - in particular, original tax invoice, and for purchases over $AUS 1,000, the tax invoice must also show your name and address (get the retailer to make you up a special invoice).

Carry the goods in your hand luggage.

Once you have cleared customs on the way out of Australia look for the TRS counter. It will be manned by someone who will look at your goods (often in detail - you will need to open boxes etc and show it matches the item on the invoice).

All going to plan... ~10% - or a tiny bit less - of the purchase price (the Australian GST rate) will be coming your way...

As anyone who has travelled to Australia quite a bit will know, customs in Australia take their job very seriously (as they should given recent wider events). Don't even think about putting anything slightly dodgy in your carry-on luggage and make sure all TRS requirements are met before you go to the airport.

Again, as per my earlier post, rightly or wrongly firearms/hunting related items are often not properly understood and or intimidate people who are not familiar with them. Be polite and considerate... and be ready to offer a genuine/honest explanation of the 'item' in your hand luggage when it goes through the airport scanner...

Makes often already cheaper items even cheaper...

FYI, there is also a similar scheme for European Union countries - it is a bit more complicated but the tax rate is slightly higher. I departed Rome earlier in the week and left with 'lots of beer money' following a month of shopping around Europe...
    There's a lot of good info in the above post....

Also bear in mind if you ( or the OP's mate )want to claim the refund due to you when leaving Australia, you'll need to have proof of purchase and sales documentation.
    This is relevant when you come to declare values upon arrival into NZ... ie, declaring a scope at $AUD1800.00 and claiming OZ taxes back, and then not declaring anything of value over $700.00 when arriving in NZ may attract interest from NZ Customs.

One of the questions in Part 6 of the NZ Customs Arrival card asks if you're carrying goods on behalf of another person, something else to consider........(I neither work for Customs or any other Govt. Agency)

B

a frend of mine has brought 2nd had scopes off a mate of his and they get couriered fine he has also shipped scopes to his mate in oz (swaps) if its worth over a certain amount you'll have to declare it which being a night force it will be buy quite a bit over so you will need to pay gst

Anyone got further thoughts on this...seems easier to pay 10% in Oz, and take it through checked in luggage and not pay 15% here.

On the other hand having a $2.5k scope confiscated is a worry - low probability high impact?