Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: First hunting rifle

First hunting rifle

Hi
    I'm looking at getting myself my first hunting rifle and I'd probably get a .308. I've already bought a Kahles helia KX 3-9x42 which I managed to get brand new $500 cheaper than its original price. I was just wondering what people recommended, I'd like a Sako 85 but the budget probably won't stretch that far! A Tikka T3 is also definitely an option and as you can probably tell already from my choice of scope and rifle I like shiny things so I'd most likely buy new. Just tryna get an idea of what options are out there.
    Cheers

Can't go wrong with a tikka in my opinion bro I've had one about to buy another they have a accuracy guarantee they have a smooth action good caliber selections everyone has them but there's a reason for that I reckon go for it mate I personally think you won't regret it!
    Cody

I've got plenty of mates that are happy Tikka customers.

Honestly, get what you want. There's always going to be someone who thinks you're wrong. Fuck 'em. If you shoot well with it and enjoy it, it's worth the money/flack/bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jakewire, buzzman, AzumitH and 6 others like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    You're on the right track by buying a decent scope and then a rifle. A lot of guys buy a rifle and put on a shit scope because they have no money left for a decent scope. A tikka is a sensible choice. You can't go wrong with a .308 either.

Welcome to the forum.
    jakewire likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Look for a second hand sako 75 if they are in your budget.

Not another one tikka fits all again post BORING. If you have access to a club where others are happy to let you shoot a variety of makes and models then make your mind up.
    gadgetman, Dougie, on2it and 1 others like this.

Caretaker
    Save for the Sako

Sako + Kahles = quality fun
    tetawa, BRADS and hotsoup like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Tikka T3 will do the job you describe, get he stainless steel screw replacements from gunworks and the standard rings are sweet.

Sakos are more money for sure but if they still do the same job what's the point? Spend that money on a fly in trip or trophy hunt

Parker Hale or Brno will do the job well too.You could well pick up a tidy Rifle for $500 second hand.Spend the difference on reloading gear,most people don't practice near enough.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Welcome to the forum. As has been said use, fondle, shoot as many as you can. One will keep drawing you back to have another feel/play. Buy one of those.

If it comes down to two them flip a coin. As soon as you get the coin in the air you'll want it to land a certain way up because one really caught your attention. Put the coin back in your pocket without looking at it.

Whatever you get someone will give you shit about it. Don't worry about that, it is all good hearted banter. What matters is that you like it and can prove to yourself that it does the job.
    Dougie, GravelBen, Fawls and 1 others like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

You have already mentioned that you would like a Sako. My advice is dont compromise. Save a bit longer and buy a Sako or keep your eyes out for a special or 2nd hand one. Yes Tikka's have a good rep, so do many others in a similar price range, but if you buy the Tikka, I can promise you that you will still want the Sako that you wanted to start with.

It wont matter how good the Tikka is, you will still end up wishing you had got what you wanted to start with.

LOC
    amen

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    You have already mentioned that you would like a Sako. My advice is dont compromise. Save a bit longer and buy a Sako or keep your eyes out for a special or 2nd hand one. Yes Tikka's have a good rep, so do many others in a similar price range, but if you buy the Tikka, I can promise you that you will still want the Sako that you wanted to start with.

It wont matter how good the Tikka is, you will still end up wishing you had got what you wanted to start with.

Gadgetman speaks sense, get a rifle that fits you well and that you like the feel of. You could always buy something cheap to use until you gain the experience to know what you actually want in a rifle instead of just wanting a certain brand just because of what some other people like.
    Dougie likes this.

Save for the Sako if that's what you really want, don't sell yourself short with a poxy tikka!
    tetawa, mikee and BRADS like this.

Go for a stainless rather than blued... Up north it might not matter but head to fiordland or Stewart island with a multiply trip in the rain and you spend the nights looking after a blued barrel