Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: First Rifle...seeking advice

First Rifle...seeking advice

Apologies if this has been covered numerous times, I've had a look a fair way back through the posts before writing this one.
    I am currently in the process of getting my FAL and like most things I purchase have put a lot of time into researching what I want to buy.
    Im assuming in the end a lot of the decision will come down to what feels good to shoot, and my budget but I was hoping to get some advice on a couple of the models I have been looking at. Are any standouts over the others? I have been recommended 7mm 08 or .308. I will be using it at the range and do hope to gain some knowledge, experience and get out to do some hunting.

- Howa 1500
    - Sako A7 Roughtech
    - Remington 700 SPS

I like the look of the Leupold VX2 scopes. I am of the mind that where possible I like to buy better, to last longer and have room to grow into.
    Any advice or information is much appreciated. Im sure its a common question and have organised to shoots a couple of rifles before I purchase one.

First Rifle...seeking advice

You won't go wrong with any of those three brands and the calibres you suggest are great, buy the one you like the most.

Get good rings and the vx2 (or most other similarly priced scopes) will be fine.

Then buy a .22 and practice heaps!
    Pointer, gadgetman and Dougie like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

If those are your 3 choices go sako anyday , 708/308 I have and prefer 708, when you say you are going to use at range. What distance are you talking, are you going to reload(best to if shooting at range)

Hamish

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

A budget might help get some more case specific advice

I have a 708 in the remington 700 with the synthetic stock and find it works fine, feels good to shoulder and no operational issues with it. Had it at the range a week ago and managed under 2 inches at 200metres with hornady sst my rifle hates remy core loct! Hey works for me so find the one that no matter what you woukd go back to and that is your rifle. Scope wise buy the best you can afford it pays off in the end!

I meant to say, I'm in Auckland re: ranges and my realistic starting budget would be sticking around the 2k mark. Possibly a little more to allow for a quality scope.

Shop around! Geta good deal for that and I woukd expect ammo, bag and sljng thrown in as a courtesy cause thats what I got! They made money I got a good deal and everyone is happy

Tikka t3 and burris fullfield 2 scope package are 1500 and good value , like others have said go to the shop and pick some up
    steven likes this.

yep like others 1st sako 2nd best rem700 3rd best howa in my opinon from your options the tikka t3 is great another option though meny on here dont like them meny includeing me love them they are supper accurate and the triggers are great but like anything there are small disadvantages aswell like loseing the mag if you dont clip it in propper or the bolt but this is all user error not the rifes fult
    nothing worng with scope choice spot on for a hunting rifle
    like others have said get a 22 aswell for pratice a jw15 will be fine in a low bugget

as far as cal goes i would get one of 4 cals 243 7mm-08 6.5x55,or i hate to say it 308.... 243 is low recoil and easy to shoot and good on goats sikka and reds anything bigger than that and i would start looking at something bigger
    7mm-08 is very poplur now and that it is a one rifle dose everything option but then so is 308
    6.5 is also a very nice cal very low recoil but enough power to knock down anything nz has to offer

when you buy the rifle the best advice i can give is before you even shoot the thing send it to dpt and get him to fit one of his over barrel supressors Extra $400 but its the best $400 you'll ever spend as it reduces recoil by over 50% which makes it mpre enjoyable to shoot plus you wont blow your ear drums when you shoot something in the bush it will cut the noise down to arround the same as a supersonic 22 or 22 mag

for your bugget this would be perfict leaves you plenty left over for a vx2 and a 2nd hand jw15 put the night eater on the 22 and the vx2 on the howa http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunt...-940101565.htm
    Last edited by rambo-6mmrem; 31-08-2015 at 11:56 PM.

Most of my answers are covered above. The only comment I would like to add is the calibre choice.

If looking at the 7mm08 and 308, the 6.5x55 and 243 suggestions are worth considering too. Though I would lean to the 308 / 6.5x55 options more. The 6.5x55 is (only) slightly less powerful than the two 08 calibres but has a lot less felt recoil so is ideal for a new shooter to develop good technique. The 308 has one advantage over the lot. Not because it does anything better or worse than the others, quite the contrary, all calibres are so similar that it could be said it doesn't really matter much. But the reason is you can get a lot more ammo options for 308, including the likes of Barnaul. With Barnaul being $1 per shot, you have the chance to practise twice (or three times) as much for the same dollars spent. Some rifles shoot better with better grade ammo, others don't mind. (I have one of each)

Certainly use better ammo later or start handloading when you start to really chase accuracy. But when getting to know the rifle and getting comfortable shooting it, then that takes rounds down the barrel, and the more the better. (to and extent anyway)

And the suggestion to get a .22LR as well, is also a good one. Technique and accuracy skills can be learnt on any rifle, and $70 per 500 rounds of practise is way better than $70 for 20 or 40 rounds of practise. And with a complete lack of recoil, you can concentrate on your technique without developing a flinch. Avoiding a flinch on centrefire is easier once you have a solid stable technique sorted (muscle memory)

Welcome, enjoy and stay safe.
    gadgetman and PERRISCICABA like this.

northdude
    Someone please pass the popcorn
    steven likes this.

Visit gunshops and try all 3 rifles. Buy the one that feels the best when you pick it up and shoulder. Last thing you want to do when about to pull the trigger is to think you should have bought the Sako and not the Remmington.
    Same applies to the caliber. I had a couple of 6.5x55 and always wanted a 308. Bought my Sako 75 in 308 and wish it was in 6.5x55
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

If you're not going to reload i'd say stick to 308. So much more off the shelf selection in every shop. Can take quite a few packs to find the round she likes...and if you're limited to only a few different factory loads you can be pushing shit uphill.

If you're going to reload...sure try the 708 or the 6.5's people are suggesting.

Basically anything in the $800 up price bracket seems to be fine. Try handle as many different breeds/models as you can in the shop and buy whatever one feels the best to you and has the features you like. Features may be safety position, mag construction/fit/type, stock material, feel, ... whatever. There will be a point where one will 'float your boat' and you will keep coming back to it. Buy it in whatever calibre they have it in within reason.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Perfect. Thank you to all for the advice. I have organised to try some out and will see what I feel I like best. Once possible crucial thing I forgot to mention is I'm left handed. I have however been told its not a huge issue shooting a right handed rifle and likely better for re-sale. I shall add to the 'gun show' thread once the time comes and I have made a decision. I look forward to meeting some other Auckland shooters and learning more about shooting, hunting and the outdoors in general. If anyone owns a firearm shop and needs branding, advertising or web design done, pm me Thanks again to those who offered information and opinions.