Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: First Rifle Setup (need advice)

  1. #16
    Member andyanimal31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Taihape
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Be very very patient for a tikka second hand to show up, their owners seems to hide them away for ever.
    lol, the only Tikkas I sell are then replaced by another tikka!
    I got a 590 with a 308 trg barrel screwed on.
    two 6.5x55 one for me and a lefty for my 15yo.
    a 308 necked down to 7mm for the 17yo
    and my trusty 22.250 varmint for daddy slaying goats and other vermin!

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    WallyR likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

  2. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Carterton, New Zealand
    Posts
    919

  3. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    nothing wrong with the nikkos I run 7 of them on rifles ranging from 22rf to 308 and had no problems with them but if you are going to compare them to the top of the line scopes well then yes they don't stack up so well but its not a very fair comparison I'm mainly running air kings and night eaters
    Agreed. I would point out Nikko make a number of ranges of scope same as any other manufacturer. Leupold makes VX1, VXII, VX2, VX3 and VXR and they are not all the same. Nikko start with the Mount master and Gameking as their less expensive offerings, through to Air king for rimfire and Diamonds for centrefire, onwards to the Platinum and Diamond Target scopes. Night eaters fit there somewhere in the middle. Saying a Nikko scope is crap is like saying a Toyota is under powered for towing a caravan. A starlet and a corolla would struggle where a land cruiser would not, but you wont buy a land cruiser with the same money as a starlet.....

    And for the Howa's, If you talk to the guys at gunworks and ask what they can do with the package with a better scope, I am very certain Robbie and the team will be able to sort you out. The Howa's are very well made capable rifles that while a little heavier than the Tikka, they can shoot every bit as well. You wont go wrong with the Howa. Don't buy into th1 MOA malarky. Almost every new rifle that is capable of that, it is usually the shooter that isn't.
    gadgetman, mikee, 308 and 3 others like this.

  4. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Hey if you have to have new then the Nikki would be ok until you figure out how much hunting you are going to actually do (please don't take that the wrong way"
    Its infinity better than the "no brand name" scopes some retailers fit to their packages...
    Yeah no worries, I get where you're coming from. I'd hate to dump a ton of money into buying new, only to find out its not for me. I originally wanted a Tikka but couldn't justify the cost, for something that I'm only just getting into. But I will keep a sharp eye out for any T3 308s going cheap second hand, thats for sure.

  5. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Agreed. I would point out Nikko make a number of ranges of scope same as any other manufacturer. Leupold makes VX1, VXII, VX2, VX3 and VXR and they are not all the same. Nikko start with the Mount master and Gameking as their less expensive offerings, through to Air king for rimfire and Diamonds for centrefire, onwards to the Platinum and Diamond Target scopes. Night eaters fit there somewhere in the middle. Saying a Nikko scope is crap is like saying a Toyota is under powered for towing a caravan. A starlet and a corolla would struggle where a land cruiser would not, but you wont buy a land cruiser with the same money as a starlet.....

    And for the Howa's, If you talk to the guys at gunworks and ask what they can do with the package with a better scope, I am very certain Robbie and the team will be able to sort you out. The Howa's are very well made capable rifles that while a little heavier than the Tikka, they can shoot every bit as well. You wont go wrong with the Howa. Don't buy into th1 MOA malarky. Almost every new rifle that is capable of that, it is usually the shooter that isn't.
    Thanks for the advice, that makes a lot of sense. I think if I do decide to buy new, i'll go with the Howa and ask Robbie about a scope upgrade like you suggested (they seem to have really good customer service). However if i can find a good deal for a second hand T3 or Howa package i'll take it for sure. Still gotta wait for my license to arrive in the mean time, so I've got plenty of time to think

  6. #21
    Member sako75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Supercity
    Posts
    4,375
    But once cry once
    You have your budget which always gets superceeded
    Go around a couple of gun shops and look at different rifles. Find one that you like and are comfortable with as this is what you will be carrying and shooting with. Nothing worse than spending all your money on a rifle then every time you pick it up or are about to pull the trigger thinking about what you should have bought. This will lead to shooting disasters
    Optics are paramount and should not be overlooked. Spend a little more on a quality scope. Leupold VX1 3-9 is a good start but again you have to be comfortable every time you shoulder your rifle and look thought the scope.
    But once cry once

  7. #22
    Member GMH72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Wairarapa
    Posts
    238
    All very good answers, and if I was to do it again I would probably do the same as I did. I just don't get out enough with the .308 to be honest. I wish I did but that's life at the moment. I got a Marlin X7 from H&F for $600 with a whatever scope on it. It shoots well and the deer that I have shot with it... died. I did get a DPT suppressor for it after shooting it for the first time though If I got out more I would probably get a better scope if I thought I needed it. I have shot more paper with it than anything else
    Your budget is better than mine and you sound like you are on the right track.

  8. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hokitika
    Posts
    1,081
    Before you buy new or second hand go into the shops and see what brands you like most eg what they feel like in the shoulder
    I would suggest howa for your budget


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben.NZ likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

  9. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    Before you buy new or second hand go into the shops and see what brands you like most eg what they feel like in the shoulder
    I would suggest howa for your budget
    Are most gun shops cool with you doing that? Asking to shoulder a rifle?

  10. #25
    Member sako75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Supercity
    Posts
    4,375
    In Auckland you have Reloaders, Serious Shooters and Gun City all in Onehunga/Penrose
    Go into each one, say you are in the licence process and your budget limit.
    There should be no pressure sales as they cannot sell you a rifle there and then.
    Don’t buy on impulse. Go away and think about your choices then when your license comes through go back and see if the same deal is valid then get out there and learn to hunt

  11. #26
    Member GravelBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gorrre
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben.NZ View Post
    Are most gun shops cool with you doing that? Asking to shoulder a rifle?
    Yip, and if they won't let you then go somewhere else and get better service.

    How a gun fits you and feels to you personally is a big part of the decision, I would definitely advise against choosing what you want before handling a few options.

    Savage are the pick of the bunch in that price range for me, as long as it isn't the budget 'axis' model. Some good deals around on the 'trophy hunter' package under $1k with a weaver scope.
    Ben.NZ likes this.

  12. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    856
    Don't forget to factor in cleaning gear, a bag and ammo into the equation too. Really easy to spend a exrra couple hundy sorting out the extra bits and pieces
    timattalon and oraki like this.

  13. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Yip, and if they won't let you then go somewhere else and get better service.

    How a gun fits you and feels to you personally is a big part of the decision, I would definitely advise against choosing what you want before handling a few options.

    Savage are the pick of the bunch in that price range for me, as long as it isn't the budget 'axis' model. Some good deals around on the 'trophy hunter' package under $1k with a weaver scope.
    Yeah these are bloody good value

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    491
    A-rule of thumb is that the Scope can be the same cost as the rifle.
    I would go for the Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 and try to economise on the gun.

    Good mounts are also essential so budget $100-200 for some. Leupold.

    Best value for a gun will beif you can, get a Secondhand one with Suppressor on it already. Check that the suppressor was'bought and fitted to that gun not an old spare that was lying arroUnd.

    To get beTter value on the gun see ifyou can get cleaning gear like a rod pull thru oil etc and some ammo thrown in or for a Small price extra You'll need to buy them anyway..

    stick to your budget we're not all made of money. Some people on this forum are real enthusiasts. would rather shoot than eat
    Ben.NZ likes this.

  15. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    12
    Managed to pick up a cleaning kit pretty cheap from bushbuck, seems like it'll do the job.

    Edit : https://bushbuckoutdoors.com/product...-most-calibers

    Is this all i need?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. light weight rifle setup
    By hotsoup in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-10-2016, 10:29 PM
  2. WTB: Wtb- rifle buffer setup
    By TianBotha in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-07-2016, 10:38 PM
  3. New project rifle advice
    By camo wsm in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 16-02-2016, 07:26 PM
  4. First Rifle...seeking advice
    By TimK in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-09-2015, 07:00 PM
  5. switch rifle setup?
    By greghud in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 14-02-2014, 07:53 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!