Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Deadeye Dick's Link.

I've done one full barreled action w/ bolt, and one action and bolt and used maybe 40mls with the associated hardner. I think my airbrush sprays it thick so I have only done it in about 2-3 coats which seems thick, almost as thick as the powder coated rifle I have. I could thin it I guess but I'm really not confident moving away from the factory instructions.

Leathal is a gravity fed one better than one with a bottle on the bottom? I guess you're talking about a gravity fed air brush?

That LIC looks pretty neat, how does it compare for price?

I use an Iwata W400 ($600 + ) similar to the base model below

NEW IWATA SPRAYGUN | Trade Me

But as long as its around a 1.4mm nosel it doesn't need to be that flash.. something like this

AIR TOOLS HP Gravity Spray Gun~*BUYNOW$27.95*~ | Trade Me

or

* NEW * K-3A Gravity Air Spray Gun (fan spray) | Trade Me

I pay around $25 a litre for the paint and $53 a litre for the hardners but I am sure most shops will sell it in 500 mils and pour of the required hardners (4:1 mix so 500ml requires 125 ml of hardner) Strait LIC43 is very matt like your paint, I think I guessed 15% gloss added to the 43 for that rifle, very hardy but the extractor lost some of its paint as it rubbs hard against the action, My RUM Rem700 has a painted bolt as well and has put a few hundred rounds through it and is still black (Gloss though so might be harder)

Did my brother's 30-30. It was a bloody mess but has come up alright. Still struggling to get an even finish on larger surfaces with the air brush. It is very economical on paint though. Will be a good test on how durable the stuff is.

That looks nice Wildman.

Well done.

what airbrush did you use?

A gravity one from Super Cheap the second time. The cheapest I could find the first. Gravity one are much easier to get to work IMHO. They cost more though. They are a bit small for things like the sides of the 30-30 receiver, I struggled to get an even finish due to the small nozzle sive taking a while. Bolts and little bits like that are a piece of cake now.

problem is I don't have a compressor either.

You will struggle then. You can buy a thing call a Preval spray gun which is an areosole can ontop of a jar... Have not read good reviews..