Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Fluting a factory Tikka barrel? Anyone had it done

Fluting a factory Tikka barrel? Anyone had it done

Looking to buy another rifle, no real reason other than I want to and I want a magnum. I'm cack handed, which raises my main issue.

I want the rifle to be as light as possible - which would mean a synthetic stocked fluted barrel would be logical. And I want a magnum calibre - which means the hunter with fluted barrel is no longer an option.

Tikka bring out left hand in a hunter model - wood/stainless/fluted barrel - in non magnum calibers (nice rifle, had one in 308), or one with synthetic/stainless/standard profile barrel - with magnum calibres 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag.

I'd prefer a factory rifle don't want to spend $$$ building up something to suit.

Has anyone fluted a factory Tikka barrel, and who did it?

Alternatively, has anyone got a left hand, light weight stainless synthetic magnum calibred rifle sitting around they might sell for a reasonable price?

Cheers
    Josh.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I have had a tikka barrel fluted by Robbie at Gunworks and he did a great job. No concerns with it or him.
    I'm sure there is someone with a standard magnum tikka stock who would like a wood one. So you could buy the factory flute and do a stock swap. That way it's all still standard

+1 Gunworks. Had a few done. No changes except to weight..

My latest now superlight fluted barrel , bolt, machined receiver, shortened, Hardy Can
    Name:  Image.jpeg
Views: 1057
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  Image-2.jpeg
Views: 1007
Size:  126.3 KB
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by mcche171 View Post
    I have had a tikka barrel fluted by Robbie at Gunworks and he did a great job. No concerns with it or him.
    I'm sure there is someone with a standard magnum tikka stock who would like a wood one. So you could buy the factory flute and do a stock swap. That way it's all still standard
    Yeah this crossed my mind, but then the wood stainless versions don't come in magnums.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

i thought tikka stocks were the same no matter what the caliber ?? or any i mistaken?
    Hunt4life likes this.

Im getting one of these in 7RM possibly today im very excited I see they do a left handed model...could be an option for you. http://www.sauer.de/en/products/bolt.../features.html

Quote Originally Posted by mcche171 View Post
    i thought tikka stocks were the same no matter what the caliber ?? or any i mistaken?
    Yeh but fluted/left hand actions are only available off the shelf in a wooden stock, and aren't in magnum calibres. The stainless/synthetic/left hand models are available in magnum calibres, but not with a fluted barrel. I want a left hand rifle, with a fluted barrel, in a magnum calibre.

Why don't you just buy this? Or do they not come in left hand?

https://www.huntingandfishing.co.nz/...ire-rifle.html

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Im getting one of these in 7RM possibly today im very excited I see they do a left handed model...could be an option for you. http://www.sauer.de/en/products/bolt.../features.html
    Yeah I have been watching them. Who are you going to get yours through?

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Why don't you just buy this? Or do they not come in left hand?

https://www.huntingandfishing.co.nz/...ire-rifle.html
    Nah they don't bring them in in left hand! Crazy huh.
    PerazziSC3 likes this.

Could probably retrain myself to just shoot right-handed after shooting left-handed for over 20 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    +1 Gunworks. Had a few done. No changes except to weight..

My latest now superlight fluted barrel , bolt, machined receiver, shortened, Hardy Can
    Attachment 62490

Attachment 62491
    Thanks mate, I'll give them a call this avo.

Dpt does barrel fluting, same pricing I believe , based in Hamilton if that is handier?

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Dpt does barrel fluting, same pricing I believe , based in Hamilton if that is handier?
    Thanks. Chch is closer

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Could probably retrain myself to just shoot right-handed after shooting left-handed for over 20 years!

Not as hard as it sounds, or just shoot right handed guns left handed like I do. Works great from a bipod or rest because you have the right hand free to work the bolt